B.C. Blueberries, 2016 vintage

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

B.C. Blueberries, 2016 vintage

Post by occasional thoughts »

I look forward to fresh blueberry season every year, to dump a handful into my cereal, but something's wrong this year. I purchased a 5 lb. box from G&H in Lakeview Heights and a 2 lb. clamshell from Safeway, and both disappointed me. Very watery, almost no taste. Thoughts?
looking4one
Übergod

Re: B.C. Blueberries, 2016 vintage

Post by looking4one »

Were they from BC or the USA?

I have yet to see a BC strawberry, anywhere.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Both B.C. I don't buy otherwise for blueberries.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

One I bought were fine ... used 3 containers for baking and froze the other 5.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Well then, h2ob, you haven't tasted them yet!

The year of the big late June rain, three years ago ?, the Calgary flood and all that, we had a lot of rain here too and my Van sweet cherries were all water logged and semi-tasteless, just like these blueberries I've acquired and had looked forward to with such anticipation.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I did taste them and they weren't flavourless. If they were, no way I'd use them in baking or bother buying more to freeze.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Of course; mea culpa.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I was lucky ... produce manager knows I won't buy unless I can taste beforehand.

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

We grow a variety of berries. We have found that if they don't get enough sun they will lack in sweetness - especially just before picking. This is most especially true, we have found, with our raspberries. That being said we are bustin out in berries this year. I'm hoping for sun this week as our raspberries are comin on and a few days of sunshine should sweeten them up.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Sun seems to be in the offing, later in the week. Where do you grow/sell? BTW, I have some yellow or gold raspberries in my garden patch; they were ready weeks ago. Different varieties, different ripening times I guess?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We bought a flat of Blue Berries from Quality Greens last week, very yummy berries. It was a 5 lb box from a farm in Surrey.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

occasional thoughts wrote:Sun seems to be in the offing, later in the week. Where do you grow/sell? BTW, I have some yellow or gold raspberries in my garden patch; they were ready weeks ago. Different varieties, different ripening times I guess?

We are located up in Joe Rich and are about two to three weeks behind harvesting time in Kelowna. We really enjoy that at times because we get double the pleasure of many things. We buy from producers in town until our produce is ready up here. We too have different varieties of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries (gold included). Some are ready early others later into season. What we do sell goes to a few of our local chefs...they are relentless when they find what they want.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Tree Guy and others reporting satisfaction with this year's blueberries . . . you're so fortunate. I always look forward to fresh blueberry season, and I was so disappointed with my two boxes of acquisition this year. I'm not prepared to venture into more purchases this year, but I'll hope for good things against next.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Bought some from Costco 2 weeks ago, very good and flavourful.
Bought some from Stupidstore 2 days ago, and they had no taste, even though they were big.
Best place is to buy them around Sardis or Chilliwack, the best berries around.

Return to “B.C.”