BC and more consulation on CPP

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

BC and more consulation on CPP

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#170831
Glad to hear BC wants to consult more stakeholders. There has not been enough discussion of the wide reaching implications of this proposed change. Not so pleased to hear Feds plan to forge ahead regardless of any delays by BC in ratifying agreement. Guess the holy grail of 'stakeholder consultation' that Fed hold so dear is not so important - nor does it appear is BC despite being the province with 3rd largest population and 2nd largest contributors to CPP next to Ontario given Quebec is out
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC and more consulation on CPP

Post by occasional thoughts »

What I read, B.C. has already signed on, and screw the consultation; it now is reneging on meeting a ratification date. The need to consult by Mr. DeJong was not so important a few weeks ago. So, B.C. signs on without consultation, then reneges to partners. Yeah provincial government.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

My understanding is bc agreed in principle but nothing had been ratified (signed on). So saying something sounds like it may a good idea is one thing but wanting to explore it more with other stakeholders in province doesn't seem terribly bad.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I'm only saying if you sign-on "agreement in principle" without knowing or not liking the political fall-out, and you renege on follow-through, you've already failed your constituency and you will alienate your fellow signators and lose major credibility with them. Your shot at the feds was a bit unfair; what I read, the feds are proceeding on the assumption that B.C. will ratify in due course and in time for the federal legislation to be valid.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

What's to consult? The Feds have a 30 Billion dollar deficit, taxes have to go up somewhere. Con the public into thinking its good for them.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

CPP premiums go into CPP fund, not general revenues. Has nothing to die with trying to cover the deficit.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

And it is B.C. that is prolonging the "consulting" process, not the federal government.

Return to “B.C.”