ChristyLiberal Gravy Train is Overloaded

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

ChristyLiberal Gravy Train is Overloaded

Post by flamingfingers »

Don't you wish you were a great (donor) friend of the ChristyLiberals?

TRAVIS: Another friend of the Liberals gets appointed
By: Kamloops This Week in Columnists, Opinion July 13, 2016 3 Comments 177 Views

Another vacancy in a public boardroom and another B.C. Liberal Party supporter ready and willing to fill it.

News that Frank Carson — a partner at Victoria law firm Cox, Taylor — was appointed chair of B.C. Transit’s board of directors last week was met with the expected cynicism.

Carson has been described as well-connected to the B.C. Liberals. His wife is executive director of the B.C. Liberal caucus.
One upside with his new post is he can comfortably talk shop with sympathetic colleagues at the office.
Four of the other 13 lawyers at Cox, Taylor are also recipients of B.C. government appointments.

What are the odds?
Given there are likely thousands of qualified candidates in B.C., the government seems surprisingly short of nominees.

Philip Hochstein, president of the Independent Contractors and Businesses Association, is a member of B.C.’s Roundtable on the Economy and the Environment, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and chair of the Turkey Marketing Board.

While the government may be short of prospective candidates, it’s not short of boards.

It’s a patronage trough.

Seats on the boards of more than 300 public agencies are available as rewards for a B.C. Liberal donor or friend of government (FOG).

Looking at 33 of them — including the B.C. Lottery Corporation, PAVCO, the province’s six health authorities, the Vancouver Police Board, three universities and two airport authorities — at least 166 of the 248 board members are party donors or FOGs.

Read more nauseating facts:

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/travis- ... appointed/
Chill
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: ChristyLiberal Gravy Train is Overloaded

Post by occasional thoughts »

No party is different on the patronage account. The political class always looks after itself, whatever the partisan hue.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^so that is really OK and fine with you that we taxpayers pay for FOGs to control decisions that affect US???
Chill
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Oh yay another Christie bashing thread.!! Must suck to be a supporter of a party like the NDP that most eligible voters despise.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Ignoring diesel's idiotic comment, patronage has never been abolished or eschewed by any party that has governed B.C. in my lifetime. Tell me, ff, what you propose to do to minimize or eliminate patronage by any government, don't single out expected behaviours from the current government that were practised by WAC Bennett, Dave Barrett, Bill Bennett, good ol' W. Vanderzalm, Mike Harcourt and his crooked successor, and Gordo Campbell.
Last edited by occasional thoughts on Jul 16th, 2016, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^so that is really OK and fine with you that we taxpayers pay for FOGs to control decisions that affect US???
I agree with OT that all the parties do it. So vote for an independent if this is your #1 issue but independents won't be running the government.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^ So does that mean that I am supposed to be like you? Just bending over and worshiping every move she makes to filch more money out of taxpayer pockets to desperately hang on to POWER?
Chill
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

What hypocrisy. Have you just discovered patronage? Do you condemn it by all governments, parties?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

So vote for an independent if this is your #1 issue but independents won't be running the government.

Do you actually think for a minute that our present elected government is RUNNING the government?
Chill
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

And btw, I was a (low-level) patronage appointment in the Dave Barrett administration of 1972 to 1975. I continue to tend to support centre-left politics in our province and country, but I'm not going to support sheer opportunistic hypocrisy, the proverbial pot calling the kettle black, of this thread's opening post. Condemn patronage, condemn Christy, but let's add in the other masters of the art. Christy's biggest problem is that she's now out-of-step with the people and our times, we know about campaign financing, we want less influence, we want more (total!) transparency, something that all political classes hate and fear.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    Do you actually think for a minute that our present elected government is RUNNING the government?
Time to blame someone else and not Christy Clark then since, according to you, she's not responsible for running the government!

Again, I agree with OT. You don't like it when Christy Clark does what every other government is doing but you keep blaming her and her alone. Whether it's her photo-ops, or her attire, or her "patronage" appointments you always make it sound as if she's the only one when they're all doing it!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Off-topic remarks, personal insults/attacks and snide comments have been edited or deleted. Stick to the topic.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Murray Edwards getting a return on his ChristyLiberals' $million donation:

Norm Farrell
‏@Norm_Farrell Norm Farrell Retweeted Hal Coleman
Imperial Metals announced their BC mines, Red Chris, Mt Polley, Huckleberry, are not paying #BCHydro bills. #bcpoliNorm Farrell added,

Hal Coleman @2percenthog
I wonder when the BC liberals will decide that the mine won't have to pay for any power, before or after donation?? https://twitter.com/norm_farrell/status ... 5384671232

https://twitter.com/Norm_Farrell/status ... 8299759616
Chill
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

occasional thoughts wrote:And btw, I was a (low-level) patronage appointment in the Dave Barrett administration of 1972 to 1975. I continue to tend to support centre-left politics in our province and country, but I'm not going to support sheer opportunistic hypocrisy, the proverbial pot calling the kettle black, of this thread's opening post. Condemn patronage, condemn Christy, but let's add in the other masters of the art. Christy's biggest problem is that she's now out-of-step with the people and our times, we know about campaign financing, we want less influence, we want more (total!) transparency, something that all political classes hate and fear.

Well stated!

Pity it'll fall on deaf ears.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

ot wrote:

Christy's biggest problem is that she's now out-of-step with the people and our times, we know about campaign financing, we want less influence, we want more (total!) transparency, something that all political classes hate and fear.

Yes!
Chill

Return to “B.C.”