Possible Viable Alternative ?

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Possible Viable Alternative ?

Post by Hurtlander »

Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Possible Viable Alternative ?

Post by occasional thoughts »

If Dr. Scott Wallace couldn't do it, and a long parade of subsequent contenders couldn't do it, this young woman certainly won't do it. It's all about vote splitting, and in a three-party system, the dreaded NDP will easily scoot in. Which savvy right-wing voters recognize and so support one right-wing party. No matter who the Conservatives put up, fear of vote-splitting is always going to come out on top.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

occasional thoughts wrote:If Dr. Scott Wallace couldn't do it, and a long parade of subsequent contenders couldn't do it, this young woman certainly won't do it. It's all about vote splitting, and in a three-party system, the dreaded NDP will easily scoot in. Which savvy right-wing voters recognize and so support one right-wing party. No matter who the Conservatives put up, fear of vote-splitting is always going to come out on top.

Yup. We don't want the Alberta situation with the Wild Rose and Conservatives to choose from, leaving the NDP to come up the middle. That would be a complete disaster for BC.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

GB wrote:

Yup. We don't want the Alberta situation with the Wild Rose and Conservatives to choose from, leaving the NDP to come up the middle.

Nope. Didn't happen. Even if Wild Rose and PC's had amalgamated, combined they could not have beaten the NDP.

Results showed:

NDP with 54/87 seats (62%)
PC with 10/87 seats (11%)
Wild Rose with 21/87 seats (24%)

Do the math.
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GB wrote:

Yup. We don't want the Alberta situation with the Wild Rose and Conservatives to choose from, leaving the NDP to come up the middle.

flamingfingers wrote:Nope. Didn't happen. Even if Wild Rose and PC's had amalgamated, combined they could not have beaten the NDP.

Results showed:

NDP with 54/87 seats (62%)
PC with 10/87 seats (11%)
Wild Rose with 21/87 seats (24%)

Do the math.

I did the math, since a terrible turnout of only 53.5%
Tells me voters did not care if who actually won.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^And your point is?
Chill
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Gordon H, just for the record, the "voters" obviously cared acutely who won, they turned out and voted. Did you mean the general populace or potential electorate? I wouldn't castigate the voters in any election.

BTW, my post second from the top of the thread, I should have put (and here do) "dreaded NDP" in quotation marks. I do not myself typically dread the NDP, although I have become less forgiving of them as I've grown apace over time.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:Gordon H, just for the record, the "voters" obviously cared acutely who won, they turned out and voted. Did you mean the general populace or potential electorate? I wouldn't castigate the voters in any election.

BTW, my post second from the top of the thread, I should have put (and here do) "dreaded NDP" in quotation marks. I do not myself typically dread the NDP, although I have become less forgiving of them as I've grown apace over time.

Total votes cast 1,488,248

Total eligible voters 2,783,643
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

dont vote at all. here are some lyrics to an old song. and i always wonder about the last line.

"The politicians all make speeches while the news men all take note,
And they exaggerate the issues as they shove them down our throats;
Is it really up to them whether this country sinks or floats?
Well I wonder who would lead us if none of us would vote."

its an interesting thought. if we dont play the game - what then? who decides?

Larry Norman - The Great American Novel Lyrics
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Gordon, I understand what you're saying, you don't maybe understand I'm merely commenting on what I think is your incorrect use of the word "voters" didn't care about the result. The voters did, the non voters maybe did not.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:Gordon, I understand what you're saying, you don't maybe understand I'm merely commenting on what I think is your incorrect use of the word "voters" didn't care about the result. The voters did, the non voters maybe did not.

Okay, large number of eligible voters were to lazy (or did not give a damn) to get off there a___s to cast a ballot.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Exactly, and not one of them was a voter; the voters voted, the a...sses did not vote for reasons which may have included "They did not care".
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:Exactly, and not one of them was a voter; the voters voted, the a...sses did not vote for reasons which may have included "They did not care".

Those out there that don't want to vote (for whatever reason) should have their names removed from voter list. Then that would provide a more accurate number/s.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

The funny thing about that sentiment is the historical and still apparently pervasive efforts by many mostly southern states of the U.S. to restrict the number of voters. In other words, people who don't naturally or proactively vote would tend to support progressive/leftist/radical/etc., etc. candidates.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I would be reluctant to force people to vote unless every ballot offered a "none of the above" choice or a write-in option. I think that many people have principled reasons in their own minds at least for not voting.

Return to “B.C.”