Temporary foreign worker program in BC

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Temporary foreign worker program in BC

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Barney Google wrote:The process though is still an arduous one for both employer and employee but the TFW also fill a gap that some businesses are struggling with.

That gap being finding a worker who is not allergic to breaking a sweat while working. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

barney, exactly what gap does the tfw program help fill
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Well Truth, my first thought to reply was to quote what our dear forum friend Wolf posted but that would not be a completely truthful reply or respectful of your question.

I am ONLY speaking from my experience and perspective, of which, others will have differing and possibly opposing opinions and perspectives. I don't want to war with anyone on this - that happened a few years ago and that resonated with me for a long, long time. I remember that thread well and hope this will not be a repeat of what developed into a disrespectful exchange of opinions.

First let me say that I am coming from the agricultural view on TFWs and not the Food Industry or any other Industry using TFWs. So Im not able to speak to those TFWs employed by Tim Hortons or MacDs or wherever.

I know quite a number of TFWs who are and do work annually in the Okanagan area and I know some of their employers as well. The TFWs that I know have a great deal of experience working in the agricultural Industry and know how to work with the specialized equipment and steps in producing products in a timely manner. Surprisingly, it takes some level of knowledge and more than just a little experience to know how to prune and thin and water and pick the produce that lands in our stores and gets shipped out to other places in Canada and the World. I'm not going to say Canadians are lazy because as a general rule we are not - we are diligent hard working peoples. That being said, what Wolf posted is, in my experience, a bit true. Not a lot of people who want to work today are willing to break a physical sweat to earn a wage.
If we are honest with ourselves who wouldn't rather work in an office or air conditioned environment than in a blistering hot orchard or field? Most of us have at least a high school level education and many much further than that...and our lifestyle expectations reflect that. While those of us who are in the agricultural industry gain a lot of satisfaction in producing products and food for others the average Canadian, for the most part, wouldn't dream of putting in the time and effort it takes. Our children(for the most part) have been brought up in a new World where they can become independent and somewhat self sufficient ( :up: ) by not having to do hard physical labor. The commercial agricultural industries are producing mass amounts of product and we just don't have the able and willing bodies it takes to get that product to the tables of the people who want and need it. TFWs are not cheap labor nor do I think, at least in the agricultural industry, are they taking jobs away from Canadians. I say that because not many Canadians apply for the jobs and if they do they often times don't stick with it through the producing seasons. It hard work and there is little fun in it. I'm not trying to imply that Canadians are slackards or lack ambition - its simply that agricultural work is NOT for everyone!
I also have seen where the TFW program has been a way for others to work and spend time in Canada and are now going through the immigration process. Not everyone who wishes to immigrate to Canada are refugees. It might surprize Canadians just how much it costs and how long it takes to go through Canada's immigration process. To me the TFW program allows a venue by which people can experience Canada and life here to make SURE Canada is the right choice for them. Id also like to point out that many TFW are not poorly educated or come from low income or poverty level families. Some are very well educated and can and will offer something for Canada as future new citizens. Some have to get recertified or require more experience in Canada before they can obtain the approval to work in their chosen or trained fields.

So Truth, I hope that provides you with a little bit of an insight into the other side of the TFW discussion.
In closing, Id like to share that after working with and getting to know quite a few Kelowna TFWs, their view of and excitement about Canada and the life we have here makes me one very proud and extremely grateful Canadian.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Well said. :up:

I have no horse in the race anyway, but it does irk, me to often times see posts made by those who complain about Canadians not getting jobs, that first of all they don't apply for, and second of all flat out don't want, but yet they promote this lie that Temporary Foreign Workers are stealing their jobs.

As you say these people are highly skilled in agriculture, and they deserve a shot at becoming productive Canadians just as much as anyone else, if that's what they wish. Someone has to do the work so it may as well be them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Barney Google wrote:Well Truth, my first thought to reply was to quote what our dear forum friend Wolf posted but that would not be a completely truthful reply or respectful of your question.

I am ONLY speaking from my experience and perspective, of which, others will have differing and possibly opposing opinions and perspectives. I don't want to war with anyone on this - that happened a few years ago and that resonated with me for a long, long time. I remember that thread well and hope this will not be a repeat of what developed into a disrespectful exchange of opinions.

First let me say that I am coming from the agricultural view on TFWs and not the Food Industry or any other Industry using TFWs. So Im not able to speak to those TFWs employed by Tim Hortons or MacDs or wherever.

I know quite a number of TFWs who are and do work annually in the Okanagan area and I know some of their employers as well. The TFWs that I know have a great deal of experience working in the agricultural Industry and know how to work with the specialized equipment and steps in producing products in a timely manner. Surprisingly, it takes some level of knowledge and more than just a little experience to know how to prune and thin and water and pick the produce that lands in our stores and gets shipped out to other places in Canada and the World. I'm not going to say Canadians are lazy because as a general rule we are not - we are diligent hard working peoples. That being said, what Wolf posted is, in my experience, a bit true. Not a lot of people who want to work today are willing to break a physical sweat to earn a wage.
If we are honest with ourselves who wouldn't rather work in an office or air conditioned environment than in a blistering hot orchard or field? Most of us have at least a high school level education and many much further than that...and our lifestyle expectations reflect that. While those of us who are in the agricultural industry gain a lot of satisfaction in producing products and food for others the average Canadian, for the most part, wouldn't dream of putting in the time and effort it takes. Our children(for the most part) have been brought up in a new World where they can become independent and somewhat self sufficient ( :up: ) by not having to do hard physical labor. The commercial agricultural industries are producing mass amounts of product and we just don't have the able and willing bodies it takes to get that product to the tables of the people who want and need it. TFWs are not cheap labor nor do I think, at least in the agricultural industry, are they taking jobs away from Canadians. I say that because not many Canadians apply for the jobs and if they do they often times don't stick with it through the producing seasons. It hard work and there is little fun in it. I'm not trying to imply that Canadians are slackards or lack ambition - its simply that agricultural work is NOT for everyone!
I also have seen where the TFW program has been a way for others to work and spend time in Canada and are now going through the immigration process. Not everyone who wishes to immigrate to Canada are refugees. It might surprize Canadians just how much it costs and how long it takes to go through Canada's immigration process. To me the TFW program allows a venue by which people can experience Canada and life here to make SURE Canada is the right choice for them. Id also like to point out that many TFW are not poorly educated or come from low income or poverty level families. Some are very well educated and can and will offer something for Canada as future new citizens. Some have to get recertified or require more experience in Canada before they can obtain the approval to work in their chosen or trained fields.

So Truth, I hope that provides you with a little bit of an insight into the other side of the TFW discussion.
In closing, Id like to share that after working with and getting to know quite a few Kelowna TFWs, their view of and excitement about Canada and the life we have here makes me one very proud and extremely grateful Canadian.

thanks for your reply well written post, i get what your saying
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ Well said. :up:

I have no horse in the race anyway, but it does irk, me to often times see posts made by those who complain about Canadians not getting jobs, that first of all they don't apply for, and second of all flat out don't want, but yet they promote this lie that Temporary Foreign Workers are stealing their jobs.

As you say these people are highly skilled in agriculture, and they deserve a shot at becoming productive Canadians just as much as anyone else, if that's what they wish. Someone has to do the work so it may as well be them.

there have been to many stories over the the years about tfw being taken advantage of by employees and employees going out of there way to hire tfw to make an extra buck, paying no over time, working them to the bone, no benifits on and on it goes,

why should they hire a local who will stand up for there rights if they can hire someone they can take advantabe of, if you choose to be blind to this---o well
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

the truth wrote:there have been to many stories over the the years about tfw being taken advantage of by employees and employees going out of there way to hire tfw to make an extra buck, paying no over time, working them to the bone, no benifits on and on it goes,

why should they hire a local who will stand up for there rights if they can hire someone they can take advantabe of, if you choose to be blind to this---o well

You are quite correct Truth. There have been stories about TFWs being taken advantage of and it frustrates the living daylights out of me. It also happens sometimes to new immigrants to Canada as well. I will say though, that to my knowledge, in Kelowna that doesn't happen often - thankfully!!!

As the TFWs get to know each other and network between themselves they either don't go back to the same employer or they empower each other to get the correct information out there and stand up for themselves. There are a number of churches and support groups that help local new immigrants and TFWs. I must say the folks that volunteer and work through those groups are amazing!!!! Another venue that I know supports the TFWs in Kelowna are the local Soccer clubs...WOW...just WOW how they have embraced many of these folks. I jokingly refer to some of the teams as Kelowna Soccer's International House of Pancakes...lol. Another positive thing is that with TFW networking they get to know each other and know which employers will help them if they run into problems. Often times being able to speak a few different languages, even on a rudimental level, helps so much and is very, very much appreciated.

On a personal note: many of the TFWs that I have gotten to know over the years have become very good friends and my life is richer because of them! They are often a very grounding reminder of how lucky we are to live in Canada and what it means to be truly Canadian.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ Well said. :up:

the truth wrote:there have been to many stories over the the years about tfw being taken advantage of by employees and employees going out of there way to hire tfw to make an extra buck, paying no over time, working them to the bone, no benifits on and on it goes,

If all you have to put your faith in is "stories" then I'm not too sure who exactly the "blind" one is here.

As with anything I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but please don't make out like it's an across the board thing unless you're prepared to bring some hard evidence to the table.

The situation as I know it in this area, for the most part, is not as you portray.

If these people are so hard done by and taken advantage of, I'm sure they're capable of declining the offer to come back year after year to an employer that's abusing them.

There may well be some truth to your charges, but at the same time I believe you are grossly exaggerating the true situation.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

They did just have that huge job fair in Vancouver for 3000 new retail jobs and only 500 people showed up..
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

is there a link to this story ??? thanks
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I saw it on TV but just found this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3727811

Hundreds of jobs remain unfilled after a soon-to-open mega-mall on Tsawwassen First Nation land failed to attract the number of job seekers it hoped for on Thursday.

Approximately 3,000 full- and part-time positions were up for grabs, but only an estimated 500 people showed up for the Tsawwassen Mills job fair held in South Delta

The mall, which will have 150 retail outlets, is slated to open on Oct. 5. Some of the 90 retailers at the job fair said they are concerned they won't have the staff they need hired in time for opening day.

But those who did attend said the job fair was a success.

"I've never seen anything like that before, usually when you go to a job interview you're really selling yourselves to them," said Surrey's Cashmere Ali. "It seems like here, they're selling themselves to you."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

did they maybe not advertise the job fair well enough ????

like the gm said it appears people do not want to drive the distance to tsawwassen for minimum wage jogs ,, lol lol ya think well looks like they knew what they were doing all along ,now they have the excuse to wine about needing tfw , so they can hire them at min wage and *removed* them over for more profit
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 20th, 2016, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

the truth wrote:did they maybe not advertise the job fair well enough ????

like the gm said it appears people do not want to drive the distance to tsawwassen for minimum wage jogs ,, lol lol ya think well looks like they knew what they were doing all along ,now they have the excuse to wine about needing tfw , so they can hire them at min wage and f them over for more profit

You know some of us are aware that there are certain jobs that are called entry level, and they are called that for a reason.

Young people need to get work experience somewhere, and that's where those types of jobs come in handy.

No one is going to hire a person with zero job history for six figures a year, so perhaps what you require is a more realistic outlook.

You do realize I hope that there's a difference between an entry level position, and a career, right?

If the goal is well paying employment then there are some prerequisites that come with the territory, such as verifiable experience, exemplary work history, applicable education, and so on. Things like knowing whine is spelled with an "h" in it and "wine" is something you drink.

Even for jobs at a mall there are opportunities better than minimum wage, given that many outlets require managers, or assistant managers, but if one were to believe you then I guess everyone working at Orchard Park Mall makes just $10.50 per hour. I know for a fact that would be baloney, since I had a family member who worked there for about four years, up until recently.

Mostly all I see from you is a glass half empty attitude, so I sure hope that doesn't manifest itself in your daily life, or it wouldn't be hard to fathom where the sour outlook stems from.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 20th, 2016, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
RedViking

Post by RedViking »

It's annoying seeing so many people call Canadians lazy. I've worked at a lot of minimum wage jobs and usually don't even get 3 hour shifts. Quite often I'm called in for 1 hour and have been sent home if the store isn't busy. I routinely LOSE money due to transportation costs instead of earn. Employers treat people horribly, expect workers to be on call 24/7, and then cry to the media when their absurd plans don't work out. If they truly want Canadian workers maybe they should actually play fair and maybe you guys should stop falling for this lazy Canadian rhetoric.

Return to “B.C.”