Foreign workers for LNG?

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Foreign workers for LNG?

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#174544 there you have it people the govt is already looking into taking away paying jobs from Canadians
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Foreign workers for LNG?

Post by dogspoiler »

That's what happens when all the Canadian workers are employed.
Black Dogs Matter
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

No, thats what happens when skilled Canadian workers leave the country. I know two LNG techs who work overseas, one in China the other in the Ukraine. Neither will work in this country. Better pay, better working conditions, better benifits. Harper had to kick the TFW's out, Justin just smiles, invites them in and gets his picture taken.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I thought we were training our own workers for the LNG project?? Between environmentalists, government and red tape, it looks like we missed the boat and LNG is dead. And now we want to bring in more workers?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Wait... I thought a significant number of former Alberta oil workers were looking for employement.... Retraining? Transferrable skills?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

kgcayenne wrote:Wait... I thought a significant number of former Alberta oil workers were looking for employement.... Retraining? Transferrable skills?

way to click-bait once again castanet news team

did you guys even read the article??

The briefing note says unions are unlikely to speak out publicly about the use of temporary foreign workers because they know the majority of jobs will go to union members and that Canadians will be first in line for jobs.

Keane said the plan is to hire a workforce derived from local aboriginal communities and provincial residents before looking across Canada.

"There will be probably a requirement, and I think everybody recognizes this, for temporary foreign workers to be able to build this industry, but we have a plan in place and are developing the plan and refining the plan to make sure that we look at Canadians first before we bring in temporary foreign workers," Keane said.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I'm a cynic from experience, and it's merely my own personal opinion that "...looking at Canadians first..." is remarkably different from "...filling positions with Canadians first..."

Just my opinion.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

kgcayenne wrote:I'm a cynic from experience, and it's merely my own personal opinion that "...looking at Canadians first..." is remarkably different from "...filling positions with Canadians first..."

Just my opinion.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. If those affected by the oil crash don't know how to look for/find/apply for jobs in BC's LNG sector, well then that's a whole other can o worms
Last edited by manmade on Aug 29th, 2016, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

kgcayenne wrote:I'm a cynic from experience, and it's merely my own personal opinion that "...looking at Canadians first..." is remarkably different from "...filling positions with Canadians first..."

Just my opinion.

I don't understand your point. you can only get a job only if you apply for it first. So....if Canadians are not looking for and applying in sufficient numbers, who should the employers hire?

edit: guy before beat me to the point
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

By the way, where does it say they there have been unanswered job postings? This isn't even happening yet, and they're counting on leniency with the TFW program. This is despite recent job losses that translate into more available skills/talent.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Christy Clarks jobs jobs jobs. What a farce. If the government knew this was going to happen years ago why not train Canadians for these jobs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

kgcayenne wrote:By the way, where does it say they there have been unanswered job postings? This isn't even happening yet, and they're counting on leniency with the TFW program. This is despite recent job losses that translate into more available skills/talent.

you can bet that they are looking for leniency with the tfw program to save money by hiring tf workers at lower wages history proves that
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rookie314 wrote:No, thats what happens when skilled Canadian workers leave the country. I know two LNG techs who work overseas, one in China the other in the Ukraine. Neither will work in this country. Better pay, better working conditions, better benifits. Harper had to kick the TFW's out, Justin just smiles, invites them in and gets his picture taken.

But you leave out it was his govt who messed that program up
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:By the way, where does it say they there have been unanswered job postings? This isn't even happening yet, and they're counting on leniency with the TFW program. This is despite recent job losses that translate into more available skills/talent.

the truth wrote: you can bet that they are looking for leniency with the tfw program to save money by hiring tf workers at lower wages history proves that

I wish more could see through it. I read between the lines: "We'll look at Canadians." = "We'll look at the Canadians, but we won't actually hire them."
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

More corporate greed. Christie will go into the election campaign promising all kinds of LNG jobs. But currently, the landed price of natural gas in Asia (that's the price for the liquefied gas as it comes off the boat) is less than the price of production in Canada. There won't be any jobs anytime soon.

But China continues to push for using their workers here and they want the agreement in writing. For the day when the price rises. And for other investments.

"Ya know what? At the end of the day it's all about families and good paying jobs. It's time to put the past behind us and move forward because, ya know what, the future is really bright for British Columbians and that's the bottom line blah, blah, blah, smile, blah blah."

Return to “B.C.”