Voting for Horgan

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Voting for Horgan

Post by Rwede »

So, what do we know about this guy? It seems that CC's thread has garnered a lot of attention, so why not share our respective love or hate for the leader of BC's NDP?

I have to admit, he's a heck of a nice guy. I like him on a personal level.

He and I had a good chat and shared a couple of laughs, and I walked away thinking to myself, "What's a nice guy like you doing in a crappy party like the NDP?"

I think he'd have a glimmer of hope, IF he weren't strangled by the evil, disgusting, BC NDP.

He's charismatic, well-groomed, well-spoken, and presentable. Perhaps a change of party would be good for his political career, something more centrist or free enterprise based?

Discuss among yourselves, respectfully.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Voting for Horgan

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Jeepers! How to scare NDP supporters off Castanet: ask them about John Horgan. It worked like a hot damn! I see the Christy Clark thread still attracted them, though.

I think Horgan is a lot like Carole James, someone who wanted to take steps toward more moderate policies, but he was quickly throttled by the Leap Manifesto crowd and Big Labour Unions. I think he should throw the game, and show up working for whichever party can emerge to oust Christy in 2021. His career and aspirations to do better are at a dead end within the NDP.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I like Horgan on a personal level too. I also agree that he'd probably like to move the NDP to a more moderate position but he saw what happened to carole James. Those knives are still sharpened and ready to go should he step out of line.
I made you read this

Post by I made you read this »

Rwede wrote:So, what do we know about this guy? It seems that CC's thread has garnered a lot of attention, so why not share our respective love or hate for the leader of BC's NDP?

I have to admit, he's a heck of a nice guy. I like him on a personal level.

He and I had a good chat and shared a couple of laughs, and I walked away thinking to myself, "What's a nice guy like you doing in a crappy party like the NDP?"

I think he'd have a glimmer of hope, IF he weren't strangled by the evil, disgusting, BC NDP.

He's charismatic, well-groomed, well-spoken, and presentable. Perhaps a change of party would be good for his political career, something more centrist or free enterprise based?

Discuss among yourselves, respectfully.

you're baiting. See what i did there? How do you expect respectful discourse when you initiate a discussion dipped in hate and disgust. Please tell how you expect that work?
The Minivan: 2 in the front, 5 in the back
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So you have constructive thoughts on how Horgan can be effective in the party he is leading considering people that lean towards the right can actually respect him but not see a hope for him to actually create a practical party?

Or is it just a matter of blind faith of a party so instead of creating change it's just best to be dismissive?

Mulcair tried to pander to realistic middle ground and mid election factions in the party were already trying to overthrow him, can Horgan do any different or is the power holding extremists in the party the real issue?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Just the thought of anyone voting for the current NDP makes me want to hork again. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

WADR I am not interested in Horgan looks like or is like on a personal level. That is what people in Hollywood are all about.

I am interested in what he has to offer British Columbia, what his position on the political spectrum is and what he plans to do if he was to Become Premier of British Columbia.

If he is other than another political lackey for the Unions he had best start letting people know it before he gets tarred with being another lied in the wool left winger who does not realize that the free enterprise system is what creates jobs and supports the Social Safety Net Programs that the NDP hold so dear to their hearts.

Tax and Spend is not an option and Horgan will not be an option either unless he gets to work and shows his colors very soon.
Last edited by Donald G on Sep 1st, 2016, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I was listening to Phil Johnson on AM1150 this morning and he talked about Horgan having a photo-op in Surrey and promising that within three years of becoming premier he would get rid of all the portables in Surrey. AM1150 contacted Horgan's office and asked if his commitment was just to Surrey or to other areas like the Okanagan. Phil Johnson was disappointed that Horgan had not gotten back to the station. It's a silly promise on several levels. First of all, some portables are every bit as good, if not better, than the regular classrooms so why is removing portables such a big deal? Secondly, why just Surrey? If it isn't just Surrey exactly how much will this cost to remove all portables throughout the province? Remember that in some areas, like Surrey and the Central Okanagan, we are experiencing enrollment increases but those will not continue indefinitely. We need to be careful not to build a ton of new classrooms only to find them empty in the not too distant future. Just another NDP proposal that hasn't really been thought out.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Urbane » 15 minutes ago

We need to be careful not to build a ton of new classrooms only to find them empty in the not too distant future. Just another NDP proposal that hasn't really been thought out.

It is comments that reflect a lack of problem identification, assessment and decision making like that in your full comment that I use to try to determine the knowledge, intelligence and management ability of those involved.

If you can understand it and I can understand it why can a person who professes to lead us not understand it ?? Of what good would such a person as that be in actually Governing the Province ??
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Horgan is just another evil emissary from NDP Headquarters, wherever that is. Like Rachel Notely who was dispatched to ruin Alberta by causing the world price of oil to plummet, Horgan is out to ruin BC. For some reason, the NDP tries to wreck the world we live in. Perhaps there is a devil after all, and he's the one who sends these wreckless leftists out into the world to destroy our way of life.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Let's look at a couple of policies of Horgan's:

Site C: He and the NDP have another plan which will not only kill jobs but put BC behind the 8 ball when it comes to taking care of our future energy needs. Horgan goes so far as to say he won't rule out cancelling the project if he becomes premier. He knows full well that billions of dollars will have been spent/committed by that time but he'd consider throwing it all away. Stupid policy.

Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour: When you consider the facts this policy is terrible. First of all, who are these minimum wage earners? About half of them are young people living at home with parents and only about 2% are single parents with young children. I can see helping that 2% but raising the minimum wage across the board isn't the way to do it. Youth unemployment will go up when the minimum wage goes up. That's what the research shows and remember that we're not talking about the incremental increases that the government is currently undertaking but a quantum leap. Stupid policy.

Horgan might be the nicest guy in the world but his party has some stupid policies.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:Let's look at a couple of policies of Horgan's:

Site C: He and the NDP have another plan which will not only kill jobs but put BC behind the 8 ball when it comes to taking care of our future energy needs. Horgan goes so far as to say he won't rule out cancelling the project if he becomes premier. He knows full well that billions of dollars will have been spent/committed by that time but he'd consider throwing it all away. Stupid policy.

Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour: When you consider the facts this policy is terrible. First of all, who are these minimum wage earners? About half of them are young people living at home with parents and only about 2% are single parents with young children. I can see helping that 2% but raising the minimum wage across the board isn't the way to do it. Youth unemployment will go up when the minimum wage goes up. That's what the research shows and remember that we're not talking about the incremental increases that the government is currently undertaking but a quantum leap. Stupid policy.

Horgan might be the nicest guy in the world but his party has some stupid policies.

Site C: It might be an appropriate move to cancel Site C at $4 BILLION rather than spend more multiples of that amount to complete a 'Muskrat Falls" boondoggle!!

Raising the minimum wage to $15/hour has been done in many other jurisdictions with none of the 'disastrous' results right wingers scream about:

JUNE 30, 2016 by PressProgress
The same people fighting Alberta's $15 minimum wage also supported using TFWs to keep wages down
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
kenneywatch-banner.gif

Alberta's lowest-paid workers will be getting a $1 per hour raise effective October 1st.

Not only that, but on Thursday the Alberta government laid out its plan for increasing the minimum wage to $15/hr by 2018.

Follow
Scott Dippel ✔ @CBCScott
Alta govt lays out min wage plan:
Up $1/hr to $12.20 on Oct 1.
Up $1.40/hr to $13.60 on Oct 1/17.
Up $1.40/hr to $15.00 on Oct 1/18. #ableg
10:06 AM - 30 Jun 2016
31 31 Retweets 22 22 likes
That's good news, because after decades of conservative mismanagement, Alberta was left with the highest rates of inequality in Canada.

Raising the minimum wage will go some way helping to reduce that inequality by putting money back into the pockets of roughly 300,000 of Alberta's hardest-working people to cover their costs of living and restore their purchasing power – and as former US Secretary of Labor Robert Reich puts it, "the real job creators are people with money in their pockets."

Read more and facts about 'minimum wage workers' here:
https://www.pressprogress.ca/the_same_p ... wages_down
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^
This is wishful thinking. Canadian research consistently finds that for every 10 per cent increase in the minimum wage, we can expect youth employment to decline by three to six per cent. Rachel Notley’s Alberta government plans to raise the minimum wage by 34 per cent from its current rate of $11.20.

But minimum wage hikes don’t just lead to job losses (both today and in the future) for low-skilled workers. Employers also respond by cutting back on hours, providing less on-the-job training, and moving towards more automation.

Full article: http://vancouversun.com/opinion/opinion ... nimum-wage
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^What else would you expect from the FRASER INSTITUTE, Urbane?

Charles Lammam is director of fiscal studies, Steve Lafleur is senior policy analyst, and Hugh MacIntyre is policy analyst at the independent non-partisan Fraser Institute.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ LOL . . . Yes, the fact that he's from the Fraser Institute means that we should ignore the stats he quotes that come right from Stats Canada. I'll go with the Stats Canada stats and something else: common sense!

Return to “B.C.”