Voting for Horgan

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Voting for Horgan

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Veovis wrote:When all he really needs is a budget and economic plan presented ahead of time that is equal to or better than the Liberals, and then to adhere to it.

I think that's part of the NDP problem - credibility. Even if they got off their lazy duffs and bothered to give the electorate a platform that rivaled the Liberals in terms of job growth and efficient taxation, along with promises NOT to listen to their completely insane enviro-wing and kill Site C, Kinder Morgan and every other potential project planned for development in the next four years, few if anyone would believe them. There are just too many crazies in that party, so it is hard to accept that they would stick to a sensible platform, even if they bothered to give us one.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Seems to me they won't even try, GB. Looks to me like they're just sitting back, relying on enough people being fed up enough to kick the Liberals to the curb, and assuming they'll get the votes instead.

Sure doesn't bode well for what they'd do if they were elected, does it?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

There would have to be a very good leader for me to vote NDP again. Not sure Horgan is that guy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

jetty1965 wrote:There would have to be a very good leader for me to vote NDP again. Not sure Horgan is that guy.

When you look at the extremely thin talent pool that the NDP has to choose from, Horgan actually is the best of a pretty rotten bunch.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:When you look at the extremely thin talent pool that the NDP has to choose from, Horgan actually is the best of a pretty rotten bunch.

Agree 100%.

I honestly feel sorry for Horgan. He is saddled with a crop of real jackasses in the NDP.

Perhaps he can find gainful employment with another party after the NDP is wiped off the map next year?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

There will always be NDP supporters as long as Vancouver Island exists. While I agree with a lot of the NDP platform (not all) I just don't think they have had a good leader since Harcourt.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Christy Clark has certainly had her share of flip-flops lately (e.g. the ferry service between Bella Coola and Port Hardy, the money to keep rural schools open - to name two) but John Horgan can flip-flop even faster:

Here's what John Horgan said about Kinder Morgan on Sept. 7th: "I can be persuaded."

Then he took a lot of heat from the environmentalist wing of the party and on September 8th he said this:

"Kinder Morgan cannot go ahead."
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Urbane wrote:Christy Clark has certainly had her share of flip-flops lately (e.g. the ferry service between Bella Coola and Port Hardy, the money to keep rural schools open - to name two) but John Horgan can flip-flop even faster:

Here's what John Horgan said about Kinder Morgan on Sept. 7th: "I can be persuaded."

Then he took a lot of heat from the environmentalist wing of the party and on September 8th he said this:

thats all you got? a leader bowing to the will of the party? now i know for sure this thread is a waste of time......
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

sooperphreek wrote:thats all you got? a leader bowing to the will of the party? now i know for sure this thread is a waste of time......
It's certainly not a popular thread - I'll give you that. No one wants to talk about John Horgan. You'd think the NDP'ers on here would want to tell us why we should vote for him and the NDP but they're silent. As for Horgan's flip-flop on Kinder Morgan it just reminded me of Adrian Dix and his epiphany. New leader but same flip-flop/epiphany. Same election result in the offing too.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

at the end of the day i have zero emotional response if you choose not to vote for horgan. if a bad leader can be elected and can lead the liberals than it stands to reason that there is more to the picture than just the leader of the ndp. im not necessarily voting for horgan if i vote ndp. just like many try to distance themselves from clark.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Urbane wrote:Then he took a lot of heat from the environmentalist wing of the party and on September 8th he said this:

Interesting how Horgan is taking the same stance on Kinder Morgan as Christy Clark
http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/01 ... -expansion
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:Interesting how Horgan is taking the same stance on Kinder Morgan as Christy Clark
It's not "the same" but is similar. Horgan could have answered the question differently and made that point but he didn't. The problem is that he's more centrist than his party and he knows those knives aren't far away.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Urbane » 19 minutes ago

It's not "the same" but is similar. Horgan could have answered the question differently and made that point but he didn't. The problem is that he's more centrist than his party and he knows those knives aren't far away.

IMO Horgan is trying to do the same as the NDP leader in Alberta did and profess to hold both a far left position (to satisfy the Party) and a just left of center position (to satisfy the majority of voters). She was able to obscure her position enough during the election to get the strong anti Progressive Conservative vote but had to give up the charade after a few months in office.

The small but very vocal anti Clark vote in BC is nowhere near that experienced by the NDP in Alberta and obviously Horgan is not as politically astute as the NDP leader in Alberta so there will be a much smaller percentage of people voting NDP in the next election. As the best of an imperfect lot Premier Christy Clark is miles ahead of Horgan or anyone else that the NDP has to offer.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

sooperphreek wrote:
thats all you got? a leader bowing to the will of the party? now i know for sure this thread is a waste of time......

I think the point is that he isn't bowing to the will of the party, he's bowing to a small gang of extremely crazy people that should be told to stick it and go to the Green Party, or even better, grab a brain. As long as Horgan can't find the gonads to tell the enviro-nuts in his party to shove it, his party cannot be electable. They might as well just pack it in right now.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

sooperphreek wrote: if a bad leader can be elected and can lead the liberals than it stands to reason that there is more to the picture than just the leader of the ndp.

That is a great point. The Liberals have a terrible leader in Trudeau and yet the Liberals were still elected federally. I never really looked at it from that point of view. :up:

Return to “B.C.”