Wrongful Dismissal

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Wrongful Dismissal

Post by maryjane48 »

The companies responsible for building the Evergreen Line tunnel laid off a worker because he raised safety concerns that posed a “continuing source of grief” for them and then lied about the reason for his dismissal, WorkSafeBC has ruled.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+n ... story.html

about time worksafe did right thing . what gets me is not a peep from the clark govt . pretty sad .
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Wrongful Dismissal

Post by Gilchy »

maryjane48 wrote:The companies responsible for building the Evergreen Line tunnel laid off a worker because he raised safety concerns that posed a “continuing source of grief” for them and then lied about the reason for his dismissal, WorkSafeBC has ruled.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+n ... story.html

about time worksafe did right thing . what gets me is not a peep from the clark govt . pretty sad .

Why would the government say anything on a workplace dispute?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

SNC Lavalin, eh? Not surprised. This company has been charged with corruption so many times that it's amazing that they continue to be allowed to stay in business!! More alarming is that they are frequently chosen as 'preferred bidders' on BC government projects!!

Liberals, Conservatives reimburse illegal SNC-Lavalin donations
ROBERT FIFE AND DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Sep. 08, 2016 9:43AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Sep. 08, 2016 7:58PM EDT
40 Comments

The federal Liberal and Conservative parties were forced to reimburse the government after the commissioner of elections found they had received $117,803 in illegal donations from SNC-Lavalin’s political slush fund.

The unlawful contributions span from March, 2004, to May, 2011, and showcase how dirty money that funded Quebec political parties also found a home in the federal arena.

Montreal-based SNC-Lavalin has been mired in corruption and bribery scandals over the past decade involving attempts to curry favour with politicians and other influential players to win lucrative engineering and construction contracts in Canada and abroad. The RCMP has raided SNC-Lavalin’s offices a number of times over the years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e31762290/

And as an added note:

Ex-Head of Troubled SNC-Lavalin Named Chair of BC Crown Corp
Gwyn Morgan will lead the Industry Training Authority for $1-a-year.

By Bob Mackin 5 May 2014 | TheTyee.ca

Gwyn Morgan, founding CEO of Encana, chaired the SNC-Lavalin board from 2007 until 2013.
The B.C. government's Industry Training Authority has a new board of directors, and the May 5 news release heralds the appointment of Gwyn Morgan as the Crown corporation's $1-a-year chair.

While it emphasizes how Morgan was the founding CEO of oil and natural gas producer EnCana Corp., it doesn't mention his tenure as chair of SNC-Lavalin, the troubled Montreal engineering giant.

Morgan joined the SNC-Lavalin board in 2005 and was chair from 2007 until 2013. In 2011, he advised BC Liberal leadership winner Christy Clark during her transition to the premiership.

http://thetyee.ca/News/2014/05/05/Ex-He ... rown-Corp/
Chill
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i dont know why such a big deal is made about the response finally being made. at the end of the day a guy still lost his job and was screwed. anything that wcb does waiting until the 11th hour is too little too late.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Contractors.. often try to get away with things like this. Don't care its all about the buck.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What has SNS Lavalin got to do with wrongful dismissal on the Evergreen Line??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Smurf wrote:What has SNS Lavalin got to do with wrongful dismissal on the Evergreen Line??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If you took two minutes to read the linked article, you'd answer your own question.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

WorkSafeBC reports show numerous Evergreen Line safety violations
Freedom of Information documents detail concerns raised over worker safety in tunnel construction
By Bob Mackin | Sept. 9, 2016, 7:56 a.m.

The Evergreen Line is now expected to open by Christmas, six months late; the government claims it remains within the project’s $1.43 billion budget | Rob Kruyt

WorkSafeBC inspectors found the Evergreen Line’s builder was violating several workplace health and safety regulations after a construction worker was injured in April.

April 20 inspection documents, obtained under Freedom of Information, said that a worker was struck by a chain hoist that fell 10 feet from a scissor lift in the two-kilometre bored tunnel for the Millennium Line SkyTrain extension.
(Scroll down to view the documents.)

Personal information was censored from the inspection report by officer Mark Valastin, so details of the worker and his or her injury are not visible. Valastin cited employer SNC-Lavalin Constructors (Western) Inc. for providing no effective means of restraint to secure objects from falling and endangering a worker, failing to post signage warning that the tunnel was a confined space and failing to post test results of the tunnel atmosphere at all points of entry.

Another WorkSafeBC inspection on May 3 resulted in seven more orders against SNC-Lavalin, including failure to assign anyone to monitor workers at least every 20 minutes and call for rescue personnel in case of emergency.

A June 1 followup inspection found deficiencies continued, particularly in monitoring of workers in the tunnel.

The inspection report also noted that SNC-Lavalin’s hazard assessment and written confined entry procedures were not prepared by a qualified person with adequate training and experience in recognition, evaluation and control of confined space hazards.

Meanwhile, on September 8, the BC Federation of Labour’s president said SNC-Lavalin should be fined after WorkSafeBC found it fired mechanic David Britton in 2014 after he complained about danger on the job.

Irene Lanzinger said B.C. workers fought hard to achieve the right to refuse unsafe work without fear of retribution.

Britton and crane operator Julio Serrano both complained to WorkSafeBC. Serrano’s file remains under investigation.

SNC-Lavalin was also the lead contractor on the 2009-opened Canada Line. Crane worker Andrew Slobodian died in a January 2008 accident. WorkSafeBC cancelled the original $82,000 fine upon review in 2011. SNC-Lavalin and its joint venture partners succeeded in reducing the administrative penalty from $233,536 to $106,036.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/9/work ... n-line-sa/
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My bad I admit I was busy and did not take time to read it. I had already heard about their donation problems and thought that was all it was about.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Smurf wrote:My bad I admit I was busy and did not take time to read it. I had already heard about their donation problems and thought that was all it was about.

So you don't have a problem with SNC Lavalin's 'employee practices'??
Chill

Return to “B.C.”