Trailer park tenants have year to leave

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Trailer park tenants have year to leave

Post by maryjane48 »

Squamish trailer park evictions leave residents with nowhere to go
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3753702
Shared via the CBC News Android App

they are getting years free rent and some cash if they leave early . a mistake was made and know it is being righted. i wonder if mz clark will offer to help the displaced which she should .

as the clark govt tramples over first nations treaty rights i expectv things like this to increase because in partnerships or relationships to be healthy and productive both sides have to give and take not just one side always giving .
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Trailor park tenants have year to leave

Post by Even Steven »

Living on a Native land has its drawbacks.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Why would anyone be silly enough to think his/ her lease would be honored on native reserves. It has been proven before that it is a big gamble to think your lease would be honored.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

alfred2 wrote:Why would anyone be silly enough to think his/ her lease would be honored on native reserves. It has been proven before that it is a big gamble to think your lease would be honored.

say what u want but no sane person in their correct mind would enter into a private lease on indian land. NO ONE !!
this is a system that has been proven over time to be a bad bad bad investement

only a federal guaranteed lease with indian lands is a safe adventure

A dear old friend of mine bought a Mobile home park in pentiction on indian land and I don't need to tell you what happened just based on my tone of post
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:Squamish trailer park evictions leave residents with nowhere to go

they are getting years free rent and some cash if they leave early . a mistake was made and know it is being righted. i wonder if mz clark will offer to help the displaced which she should .

as the clark govt tramples over first nations treaty rights i expectv things like this to increase because in partnerships or relationships to be healthy and productive both sides have to give and take not just one side always giving .

Why is it Clarks responsibility to help these people? I guess everything is her fault.... If I had to leave my trailer and couldn't move it, it would be burned to the ground when I left.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

renting sounds fun
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Sucks for them, but really. How could you not see this coming?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote:Living on a Native land has its drawbacks.

that's for sure
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alfred2 wrote:Why would anyone be silly enough to think his/ her lease would be honored on native reserves. It has been proven before that it is a big gamble to think your lease would be honored.

and that's a fact :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maryjane48 wrote:Squamish trailer park evictions leave residents with nowhere to go

fyi natives were not here first. case closed
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

i expectv things like this to increase because in partnerships or relationships to be healthy and productive both sides have to give and take not just one side always giving .

yes but why is we are always giving and the natives are always receiving? whats with that and when does it end.
why am I held responsible for something that may or may not have happened 150 years ago???
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

the truth wrote:
fyi natives were not here first. case closed

Case closed?
You know something the science community doesn't?
I'm eager to learn from those who know more than a collective of the brightest working minds on their subject of passion.
I sit in wait for your enlightenment.
Please be thorough.
Kennewick man doesn't count. That's been shown to have no substantial relevance to anything, as we now know man has traveled this planet for much more than ten(s) of thousands of years.
We can easily trace the migration of mankind and the development of the species.
We all come from Africa.
The only color of the human race that raises questions are Caucasians.
All other genetic coloration and physical features can be traced not only regionally, but also developmentally.
So, we know that humans moved from Africa into Asia, then mushroomed up and throughout Europe, etc., etc..
It's pretty easy to see the relationship between the Mongols of Asia and the Natives of Siberia and those you deny as the Natives of North America.
So, if the people we have termed Natives of Canada were not the first people to inhabit this land, then who was?
It seems to me that you are speaking pretty firm on the topic with your closing of the case.
Open up your knowledge to us, please.
The world needs enlightenment.
Last edited by Graham Adder on Sep 11th, 2016, 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I removed your removed and replaced it with my own
*unmoved*.
Last edited by Graham Adder on Sep 11th, 2016, 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/squamish-trailer-park-1.3753702
The eviction comes after the First Nation took over control of one section of the trailer park from Chief Bill Williams in 2012.

At the time the band took over the land, it said the Williams family had expanded the trailer park illegally onto land it did not own. The band declared any leases on the affected land invalid.

At the meeting on Wednesday night, the residents were given eviction notices and offered one free year's rent before they must leave.

the band is offering $9,600 to any residents that leave in three months, and $4,800 to those who leave within six months. Those who stay the full year will get no extra cash.

I cannot imagine what there is to belly ache about.
The land was being used illegally.
The band resumes control of said lands.
They offer "quick release" bonuses or a year free rent to those being evicted.

Show me one NON native entity that treats people with that much dignity under similar circumstances.
Let's have a peek at Hiawatha Trailer Park in Kelowna to start, then we'll move on from there.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Trailer park tenants have year to leave

Post by Rosemary1 »

Wonder why the Williams owner could maintain park with a $400 monthly pad fee and natives claim they can't. Doesn't sound that increasing the monthly lease payment was on the table other. A years notice with bonus if moving is better than nothing - but most know that finding a new location for the homes and moving a mobile home is very expensive costing thousands of dollars. Odds are some of those home may end up being left behind. Good luck trying to sell them now.

What are the natives going to do with land once vacated? What will happen to any homes that may have to be left behind?

Although this land was taken over after the fact, it isn't the first time tenants on native land have found themselves out in the cold. The lesson here is to think twice in investing in homes sitting on leased native land and lease at your own risk.

When governments (provincial or federal) make these kinds of agreements, regardless of the reason, and there are non-aboriginal home owners involved, seems government also has some ethical obligation in making some provision to assist the evicted home owners financially to offset their losses.

Return to “B.C.”