Delta - Fentanyl Laced Cocaine, 8 overdoses in 20mins

jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Delta - Fentanyl Laced Cocaine, 8 overdoses in 20mins

Post by jimmy4321 »

Got a feeling despite efforts this will burn itself out like a forest fire.
It's too bad cause it can be insanely dangerous for enforcement not just addicts.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

jimmy4321 wrote:It's bad but is there a solution here?
If this were so easily solved there probably wouldn't be hard drugs on the street to begin with.

Liam Haddock wrote:A solution to drug addiction and all reasons one chooses to use drugs...probably not anytime soon..
Our government is providing clean heroin to severe addicts....
they could choose to sell clean heroin, cocaine ect eventually to all users...
Is it a solution or ideal?...hell no but it would save lives from overdoses and reduce criminal control, profits and harms that come with that.

jimmy4321 wrote:Got a feeling despite efforts this will burn itself out like a forest fire.
It's too bad cause it can be insanely dangerous for enforcement not just addicts.

Sorry what do u feel will burn out like a forest fire? Im not following...
If u mean drug use, addiction and criminals lacing drugs with fentanyl I don't think anytime soon...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think i mean that the black market though of course illegal is still a market. I'm not sure what the upside is to having your client base pretty much OD or die everytime they run across Fentanyl.
Either it ends on the supply side or people die at an alarming rate.
Like i said, if it were so easy no hard drugs would hit the street in the first place.

Are you trying to say this is the new norm? I doubt it
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

jimmy4321 wrote:I think i mean that the black market though of course illegal is still a market. I'm not sure what the upside is to having your client base pretty much OD or die everytime they run across Fentanyl.
Either it ends on the supply side or people die at an alarming rate.
Like i said, if it were so easy no hard drugs would hit the street in the first place.

Are you trying to say this is the new norm? I doubt it

Fentanyl is cheap and easy to manufacture and have imported, its easily getting through the border by mail. The upside is a little bit goes a long way, maximizing profits. When the product hits the street its potent (really good) as long as the users don't od. When an addict is addicted high and not thinking clearly a death sometimes will actually increase sales because the flawed logic is that batch must be really strong and good but I'll be more careful and make it last.. Addicts are in endless supply sadly...The dealers know this...they aren't trying to kill users per-say but sadly there not loosing sleep over it either.

I think fentanyl laced drugs is the new norm yes....its been getting steadily worse for over a year with no signs of improvement...why would I believe its going to get any better besides maybe the fact our government is trying to do what it can to reduce harms and overdose deaths, time will tell but I'm glad they're trying..
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

Could be a serial killer is tainting the coke (same supplier?) - all of these od's were kids?
We leak as rivers
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

The sad part is that these druggies are jamming the er in hospitals and hurting the front line workers. Lay of the drugs and save a life that may not be yours. Casual, addicts can not be curde. users should know better
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Nasturtium wrote:Could be a serial killer is tainting the coke (same supplier?) - all of these od's were kids?

I never thought of that but always possible. It's clear from even this thread how little some care about drug users lives. It wouldn't be a long stretch then for some to actually enjoy the fact they are dying and would get a thrill off tainting supply and killing people.
alfred2 wrote:The sad part is that these druggies are jamming the er in hospitals and hurting the front line workers. Lay of the drugs and save a life that may not be yours. Casual, addicts can not be curde. users should know better

It's sad the addicts getting drugs that are cut with fentanyl and firefighters and paramedics are having to play doctor saving lives from overdoses every day. It's sad some would rather this continue than try and find a way to prevent the tainted drugs, overdoses and the need for our frontline workers to be out at risk, fighting fentanyl overdoses and harms that come with criminal control of drugs
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brown%20acid

'A reference to the Woodstock Festival in 1969, when stage announcements were made by legendary radio disc jockey Wavy Gravy, telling people that some of the brown-colored blotter acid (LSD) circulating the crowd was giving people negative hallucinations, causing freakouts.'

Apparently, the poisoning of narcotics has been happening for years
We leak as rivers
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

LiamHaddock wrote:I think fentanyl laced drugs is the new norm yes....its been getting steadily worse for over a year with no signs of improvement...why would I believe its going to get any better besides maybe the fact our government is trying to do what it can to reduce harms and overdose deaths, time will tell but I'm glad they're trying..

At best the gov will do ONLY what they think the constituents can stomach.
With all services claiming to be either under payed, under staffed or under equiped i doubt when the media backs off that this subject gets much.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

jimmy4321 wrote: At best the gov will do ONLY what they think the constituents can stomach.
With all services claiming to be either under payed, under staffed or under equiped i doubt when the media backs off that this subject gets much.

I think this government realizes as long as they are actively trying to reduce harms of drug use, most will be in favor of sale injection sites, heroin therapy and other harm reduction approaches.
I hope we will see our government continue to add additional funds and resources to the fentanyl epidemic we are seeing. I don't see the media backing off until people stop dying from fentanyl laced drugs.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/canada/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/suspected-b-c-dealer-linked-to-nine-overdoses
The father of a young man suspected in the distribution of tainted cocaine that led to a string of overdoses earlier this month in Delta, B.C., says his son “had no idea” what was in the drugs.

In fact, when he learned there might be a problem, he tried to be “pro-active” and immediately got in his car to go warn others.

“As soon as he found out something bad was happening, he went straight to the people. He did what he could,” the father told the National Post.

“Unfortunately the situation was already out of control.”

“It’s my opinion people are doing this for profit. Fentanyl is relatively cheap and very strong, and I think it provides a good opportunity to take one kilogram of cocaine and make four,” he said.

Also, in the eyes of some users, the euphoria can be enhanced, he said.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

legalize drugs already.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Its the one sister from the Rottweiler attack this summer. Crazy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3766697
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Gixxer wrote:Its the one sister from the Rottweiler attack this summer. Crazy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3766697

so sad...

"Actually, it's funny," she says, then stops and reconsiders. "Well, it's not funny, it's terrible. I've been using fentanyl before I ever tried heroin."

She forges ahead before I can even digest that statement.

"I have a really addictive personality. I've always been addicted to something, whether it was shopping or Facebook or whatever. And I did oxy [oxycontin]. I got addicted right away. I then found a regular dealer and started picking up all the time."

Kati says she has tried quitting fentanyl a few times but couldn't hang on long enough to get into a treatment bed. A shortage in the province means long waits.

"They expect you to stay clean on your own for three to eight months while you're on a waiting list to get into a treatment centre," she says. "How is that possible when you're an addict? You call every day. I did it for three months — then I relapsed."
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/addiction-stigma-addicts-aids-crisis-1.3767406
A Vancouver Island addiction expert says stamping out stigma against addicts is a crucial step to stemming the tide of drug-related deaths, just as activists did during the HIV/AIDS epidemic once seen as a "dirty disease from dirty people."

People believe addicts are "bad people making bad choices," she explained.

But when it comes to illicit drug use, the problem is not that simple.

"After the first initial few uses, it's no longer a choice. It's a brain disease which alters the brain and these most unfortunate people are stuck with something they just can't control," said Mark.

She pointed out that many illnesses that cost society money start with "choices" and are completely "self-inflicted."

"Let's look at smoking ... what about alcohol misuse? Let's talk about obesity ... these [also] cost the taxpayer a lot of money,"

"These are damaged people that use drugs and alcohol to blot out everything that is horrible in their lives."

Despite the trauma they have survived, many end up blamed for their addiction and victimized again, she explained.

Mark said many hardcore addicts are almost impossible to fix, and will never be able to walk away from the illness that has changed their brain's wiring

Return to “B.C.”