Driving into a large animal

4ums

Driving into a large animal

Post by 4ums »

So I turned a corner and drove right into a large elk, broke the front window and ended up down an embankment. Just put 3 months insurance on the truck so I could use it for the week and didn't realize I didn't get comprehensive, thought the insurance would just carry over. Anyway, no collision insurance even though I am the 'victim' and a tow bill of $2900 plus storage. Going broke quickly, so just a warning to others, don't assume you are getting the insurance you need.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Driving into a large animal

Post by GordonH »

^^^ never assume always ask, it's your vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

that's a bummer and a hard lesson
*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

4ums wrote:So I turned a corner and drove right into a large elk, broke the front window and ended up down an embankment. Just put 3 months insurance on the truck so I could use it for the week and didn't realize I didn't get comprehensive, thought the insurance would just carry over. Anyway, no collision insurance even though I am the 'victim' and a tow bill of $2900 plus storage. Going broke quickly, so just a warning to others, don't assume you are getting the insurance you need.

It other thing to note is that ICBC will see you at 100% fault for the accident as you hit the animal.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

How does Comprehensive coverage help you?
Comprehensive covers loss or damage to your vehicle from:
Theft and vandalism
Fire, earthquake, explosion
Falling or flying objects such as a rock or gravel hitting your windshield
Hitting a domestic or wild animal
Weather—lightning, windstorm, hail, rising water
Comprehensive claims will not affect your current discount level.
To find out more about how Comprehensive coverage could benefit you, talk to your Autoplan broker.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/P ... erage.aspx
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I suspect since you only wanted to use the truck for a week that you went with the least expensive option.

Unfortunately for you that cost you big time.

Sorry for your loss but think how the Elk feels.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
4ums

Post by 4ums »

Actually I thought they were giving me the same coverage that I had on the truck the month before. I didn't think to question but will next time. Not only the elk but my vehicle. Only the driver's area was not demolished.. I didn't have the opportunity to swerve to miss the elk, he was right there Bam. Not meaning to be trivial but his pain was instant, mine well.....
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I'm going to put 3 months on my hunting truck today so I will check. It seems to me that I had to sign on the form to decline comprehensive.
Black Dogs Matter
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

dogspoiler wrote:I'm going to put 3 months on my hunting truck today so I will check. It seems to me that I had to sign on the form to decline comprehensive.

Correct. If there is a change in coverage, the broker will ask you to initial that you're declining an option. The broker will also have notes on your conversation and the coverage discussed. Short term insurance does not automatically bump any coverage from your previous policy, you have to decline it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

What if you tell them that you were parked and the elk hit you full-speed?

Cause then it's the case of damage caused by uninsured driver, and your policy will cover it.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

An elk is not a driver......also fraud can have consequences.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Should have put a smilie face thingy ...
4ums

Post by 4ums »

Interesting about signing for rejecting comprehensive. I'll have to see my insurer about that.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

When renewing my vehicle insurance , I always specify "no changes" . That way I know that I am fully covered when renewing my insurance. My insurance agent always goes over all aspects of my insurance, to make sure I have appropriate coverage.

Not that difficult to do.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

4ums wrote:So I turned a corner and drove right into a large elk, broke the front window and ended up down an embankment. Just put 3 months insurance on the truck so I could use it for the week and didn't realize I didn't get comprehensive, thought the insurance would just carry over. Anyway, no collision insurance even though I am the 'victim' and a tow bill of $2900 plus storage. Going broke quickly, so just a warning to others, don't assume you are getting the insurance you need.

ICBC agent supposed to tell u what your coverage is and if u decline a coverage u have to initial your acknowledgement

Return to “B.C.”