ICBC

psychprof
Fledgling

ICBC

Post by psychprof »

Need some advice, forum friends. I was rear-ended last week whilst waiting to yield (no not merge) onto the Hwy. Other guy claimed full liability. Car is fixable and drive able but, of course, ICBC would rather write it off and give us not even enough $ to buy the same car used. I was not at fault. Why does this have to cost me money to have my same car back? Is it worth hiring a lawyer?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: ICBC

Post by phasyluck »

Here lies the problem with ICBC, they're the only ones to deal with. You will have to go above and beyond to get anything you're entitled to as far as pay up on a total loss. Wouldn't hurt to consult a lawyer in my opinion.
Sure do love Rutland!!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

1) ICBC gets their prices from all similar cars within BC and averages it out.

Show why YOUR car is worth more. Vancouver prices drops your price also (you can get a car much cheaper down there). When this happened to us, we brought up various points:

New tires, lower kms, aftermarket stereo wiring, the prices of the same car in Vancouver were around $1000 less... so they shouldn't be able to use those cars in the market valuation, etc...

2) Unless you were hurt and getting some injury money... hiring a lawyer is going to cost you money anyway. Seems pointless to pay someone to get what you want, which is not to lose money
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Stories I hear, if you can find a suitable replacement close to the same year and perhaps less km they may just give you the $ for it. ICBC would have to agree if you can make a good case for it. Will they also compensate you for physical injury? How do they know you'll be fine in 6 months?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Jlabute wrote:Stories I hear, if you can find a suitable replacement close to the same year and perhaps less km they may just give you the $ for it. ICBC would have to agree if you can make a good case for it. Will they also compensate you for physical injury? How do they know you'll be fine in 6 months?

We fixed a mid 80s Mercedes turbo diesel coupe a few years back, the owner loved his car and did his homework. ICBC spent 17k fixing it cuz he wanted his car back. It was in good shape but scrap it should have been.
Sure do love Rutland!!
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

this insurance culture and mechanism is so prevalent that i just had to pay extra private insurance to make sure that i am covered in an accident for the cost of the vehicle for the loan amount. and not what the insurance company decides it is worth to write off. its a joke.
anonymouscoward777

Post by anonymouscoward777 »

I doubt you need a lawyer, just tell them you want the full value and if they refuse then you can settle it in small claims court for $50.00. They will most likely lose too. They always try to get away with low balling people.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Public or private insurance companies will always try to pay out as little as possible.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Salamander420
Fledgling

Post by Salamander420 »

This is simple.. you file a injury claim for whipelash. the ten thousand they will give up for a fast settlemet will cover the shortfall on the write off.. that's what I did. they offered me 7400 for a suv I has 25 k into .However I did force them to fix the damage and it was over 13k at jacobsons.. with the 10k I got for whiplash I almost made out ok
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

and the rest of us get to pay for your bogus claim thanks a bunch your a real good human being :-X
Salamander420
Fledgling

Post by Salamander420 »

How is my claim bogus?????? Eh I got my suv wrecked and it has never been the same after 40 hours on a frame straightner.. how about the week I missed from work how is this a bogus claim.. my truck was ruined my neck was hurt.. how does this make it bogus. should I have sat back and let them screw me over like the rest of bc no I shouldn't so how is this a bogus claim please elighten me
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Salamander420 wrote:This is simple.. you file a injury claim for whipelash. the ten thousand they will give up for a fast settlemet will cover the shortfall on the write off.. that's what I did. they offered me 7400 for a suv I has 25 k into .However I did force them to fix the damage and it was over 13k at jacobsons.. with the 10k I got for whiplash I almost made out ok

If you read your above post you will see how we might think all one has to do to get 10k is file an injury claim. No where do you say you were injured.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if you have 25grand in an suv that's only valued at 7500 its up to you to get it appraised and insured at the appropriate value instead you chose to claim for whiplash so they would ''cough up'' an extra ten grand then you had them fix your pos that should have been written off I hope it dog tracks and wears tires out you deserve it now the rest of us get to benefit from all those bogus neck claims by paying higher rates
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If the car is a write off, won't they give you the cash plus the car?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

oh and unless you make ten grand a week I'm thinking you made out pretty good on the backs of the rate payers considering your suv didn't get written off and you only missed a week of work

Return to “B.C.”