LNG!! LNG!! Trillions of dollars - but for who?

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: LNG!! LNG!! Trillions of dollars - but for who?

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
I think you mean controlled by American business interests, who pay for and encourage the resident enviro nuts up here, many of whom live nowhere near the places they are protesting, and some I'd venture not even Canadians.

What american business interests could possibly benefit from that?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

My quick retort is "not for Canada and not for BC because the myopic BC NDP opposed LNG because?" - because the BC NDP are the party of "Noooo".

Ya, the dippers will deflect and gin up nonsense, but the reality is simple: the BC NDP opposed the development of LNG because they have been co-opted by the stupid anarchist LEAPers - who do the bidding of big US corporations by being "useful idiots" and paid trolls.

Meanwhile, US corporations buy our Canadian gas dirt cheap, and compress it into LNG and ship to the markets we should be players in.

The BC LEAP (er...NDP) continue to create a "go away" environment for investment, and so we continue to lose out on potential government revenues, FN revenues, good jobs for average folks... and a lot of $$$ that would support more robust social programs.

The dippers will poo-poo the potentials to justify their parochial green anarchist positions, but the reality is quite different: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lng-enbridge-west-coast-1.4569453
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:
Old Techie wrote:
I think you mean controlled by American business interests, who pay for and encourage the resident enviro nuts up here, many of whom live nowhere near the places they are protesting, and some I'd venture not even Canadians.

What american business interests could possibly benefit from that?

You can't figure that out yourself????

The ones who buy our resources dirt cheap, then process them and sell them to clients for a huge markup. A market we should be selling to, but are hampered by lack of access to ports.

The US oil industry being at the head of the line, but others engage in like tactics as well.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

FF - silent on Horgan's decision to support LNG and give tax breaks to corporations to get LNG?

What's going on with your favorite party? Have they become poor imitations of the Liberals?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

hobbyguy wrote:FF - silent on Horgan's decision to support LNG and give tax breaks to corporations to get LNG?

Can't be pulling her hair out and type at the same time... :smt045
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:The OP should get the admins to correct the egregious grammatical error in her alarmist, misleading headline.

The last time LNG came up, Horgan said he supported it. That was with a crapload of NDP conditions, of course, which would likely make LNG completely non-viable.

I wonder if the OP knows that her party has some conditional support for the very thing she's trashing?

Awww, now Rwede had a way with words eh.

So LNG has been raised by the NDP and Rwede knew back in February the NDP supported LNG. So why all the shock and surprise by everyone?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Queen K wrote:
    Awww, now Rwede had a way with words eh.

So LNG has been raised by the NDP and Rwede knew back in February the NDP supported LNG. So why all the shock and surprise by everyone?
Oh I think a lot of people are surprised including Andrew Weaver, environmentalists who voted NDP because they were opposed to LNG, and a lot of journalists who heard Horgan oppose the measures that the Liberals were taking to accommodate the industry.

Now, as Keith Baldrey says, "Horgan has out Christy Clarked Christy Clark" on LNG. The flip-flop is stunning. Quite honestly I see the policy as a positive one but you can't just ignore the sheer hypocrisy and broken promise. Broken promise after broken promise. That's what's been happening with the NDP in Victoria.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Maybe just maybe he realized that the engines of economic power were not going to be more daycare workers and social services.

I don't even care. The thing is, everyone should be supporting this move, not moaning about how the party of "No" became the party of "Yes."

:topic:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Even the Liberals should be supporting this move.

Aye..there's the rub!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Queen K wrote:Maybe just maybe he realized that the engines of economic power were not going to be more daycare workers and social services.

I don't even care. The thing is, everyone should be supporting this move, not moaning about how the party of "No" became the party of "Yes."

You mean the party of "nooo Clue", because all they have is exactly what the Liberals were doing? The BC NDP/LEAP had no plan, so they have, so far, gone with Liberal budget, gone with site C, gone with raising ICBC rates, gone with raising BC Hydro rates, gone with bridge tolls (except the new ones will be "congestion tolls" or some such euphemism), and their only plan for housing affordability is taxes that don't work - the "property purchase tax" they brought in back in 1996 was supposed quell speculation in the markets...it didn't...

Yes I do support LNG development. But I don't support snollygosters like the BC NDP who played the voters, and are stealing taxpayer $$$ to pay for their bankrupt so called party.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

@ QK - Who's moaning? All I see is some members pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the NDP and it's supporters.

As was stated already, "a poor imitation of the Liberals".

Ironically, I recall a vocal NDP supporter, decrying how Clark stole the NDP platform, (debatable given there wasn't really one, just a couple of uncosted promises) in an effort to stay in power, yet here we are with the NDP, grasping on to the same things the NDP supporters cried about, when the Liberals supported them.

In her defense, at that point Clark was simply trying to listen to what the voters were saying, and acknowledged things like removing the MSP were high on the list, yet had to be carefully planned, unlike what the NDP have done.

The Liberals are clearly far from perfect, but they sure as heck think policy through, much better than the GreenDP do.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

George+ wrote:Even the Liberals should be supporting this move.

Aye..there's the rub!

Says the dipper who derided the Liberals for pushing the concept forward, and supported the goofy and schizophrenic BC NDP as they opposed LNG at every turn, scaring off Petronas.

If the ding dong BC NDP really cared about the working people of BC, they would never have mounted their disingenuous anti-LNG bs - and working folks of BC would be making good $$$ building an LNG plant in Prince Rupert today.

You can't have it both ways.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Queen K wrote:Maybe just maybe he realized that the engines of economic power were not going to be more daycare workers and social services.

As a person running to be the premier of BC he should have already known that daycare and social service workers are not going to grow the economy, the fact he didn't just shows how unprepared he was and is still making policies on the fly. Horgan does not have an original thought in his head. God I hope Weaver does bring down the NDP over LNG.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

hobbyguy wrote:
George+ wrote:Even the Liberals should be supporting this move.

Aye..there's the rub!

Says the dipper who derided the Liberals for pushing the concept forward, and supported the goofy and schizophrenic BC NDP as they opposed LNG at every turn, scaring off Petronas.

If the ding dong BC NDP really cared about the working people of BC, they would never have mounted their disingenuous anti-LNG bs - and working folks of BC would be making good $$$ building an LNG plant in Prince Rupert today.

You can't have it both ways.

Just George's usual, liberal bad NDP good no matter what nonsense.

Return to “B.C.”