Re: BCTF claims victory at Supreme Court of Canada

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cknw.com/2017/03/04/deal-rea ... f=facebook

yup the libs accepted the 2002 rules haha
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

It is too bad it took 14 years in court and an election in the wind to get to this point. These idiots (on both sides) should have sat down a decade ago, settled this and saved the tax payers of BC a fortune. Better yet they would have saved students a ton of headaches. Many students will have spent their entire public school working with the problems caused by this war. Shameful.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Smurf wrote:It is too bad it took 14 years in court and an election in the wind to get to this point. These idiots (on both sides) should have sat down a decade ago, settled this and saved the tax payers of BC a fortune. Better yet they would have saved students a ton of headaches. Many students will have spent their entire public school working with the problems caused by this war. Shameful.
Mike de Jong made a bit of an admission when he didn't include a final amount in the budget for this settlement. If he had included a final amount he said that he would have been doing "what got us into trouble in the first place." Maybe some lessons were learned on the union side as well and I have to say that the current leader of the BCTF is a cut above anyone who I've seen in that position for a long time. Let's hope that the war is finally over.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Smurf wrote:It is too bad it took 14 years in court and an election in the wind to get to this point. These idiots (on both sides) should have sat down a decade ago, settled this and saved the tax payers of BC a fortune. Better yet they would have saved students a ton of headaches. Many students will have spent their entire public school working with the problems caused by this war. Shameful.

My son being one of those kids. His entire K-12 was under the illegally legislated language.

I agree some work can be done on both sides, but it was Clark who insisted on letting it go to court. She alone is to blame, first as Min of Ed, and then as Premier.
Last edited by KGT on Mar 5th, 2017, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

What do you do if it's impossible to create classrooms to adhere to the numbers? You provide the teachers with extra resources. That's an example of flexibility in this agreement and it's clear that both sides bargained in good faith. Great to see.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^The Liberals under Campbell and also under Clark could have negotiated the same conditions YEARS go but Christy was so intent on having everything HER way and meddling in contract negotiations it took all these years, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of taxpayer dollars to get to the SCoC decision that slapped her down in 15 minutes!!!

Why keep on electing IDIOTS???
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I wonder if someone should look into the government lawyers that kept flogging this dead horse while making unknown bundles of cash. They are either extremely stupid or extremely greedy or both.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

now that deal has been reached it is now time to punish clark for ruining so many kids eduacation over a *bleep* contest
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:now that deal has been reached it is now time to punish clark for ruining so many kids eduacation over a *bleep* contest
I'm just happy at this point that the government and the BCTF have reached an agreement. It would seem that the spirit of the original wording is part of the agreement along with some flexibility. More details to come but when I read that extra resources will be provided to teachers in cases where extra classes can't be created I say, "Hallelujah!"
Last edited by Urbane on Mar 9th, 2017, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

WAke up ndp lovers, they started it all by bending over and giving in to the union. :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

threads not about ndp . seems clark lovers cant read [icon_lol2.gif] :130: :chicken: :topic:
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:threads not about ndp . seems clark lovers cant read [icon_lol2.gif] :130: :chicken: :topic:

you can not read, this all started with ndp bending over :smt045 :smt045 :smt045
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

"It looks like a return to the way things were before everything was unconstitutionally stripped in 2002," says Campbell River District Teachers' Association Dave Harper. "It's a return to what I would consider the good old days of having known, solid, predictable baseline staffing levels for every school. It's a return to having proper levels of teacher librarians, learning assistance teachers, ESL teachers, counsellors in middle and secondary schools, class-size limits – it's good all around."

BUT.....where to put all the students/classes? Already schools are talking about shifts.

The govt has totally bungled building schools, also, and now will have to reopen some.

What a MESS!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:"It looks like a return to the way things were before everything was unconstitutionally stripped in 2002," says Campbell River District Teachers' Association Dave Harper. "It's a return to what I would consider the good old days of having known, solid, predictable baseline staffing levels for every school. It's a return to having proper levels of teacher librarians, learning assistance teachers, ESL teachers, counsellors in middle and secondary schools, class-size limits – it's good all around."

BUT.....where to put all the students/classes? Already schools are talking about shifts.

The govt has totally bungled building schools, also, and now will have to reopen some.

What a MESS!
I've read that the two sides agreed that where adding another classroom isn't feasible the teacher will be given extra resources. That might be a temporary measure until another classroom can be created or perhaps longer term if necessary. That's the kind of flexibility that will help segue into next year and beyond. Now, if what you're posting is true and the flexibility isn't there, necessitating shifts, then we can blame both sides for that. Let's hope that what I've read is true and that what you're posting this evening is wrong.

But Bernier and Hansman both noted the new agreement offers some flexibility to districts that may have trouble adjusting. - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/t ... l3VsP.dpuf
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Urbane wrote:
    George+ wrote:"It looks like a return to the way things were before everything was unconstitutionally stripped in 2002," says Campbell River District Teachers' Association Dave Harper. "It's a return to what I would consider the good old days of having known, solid, predictable baseline staffing levels for every school. It's a return to having proper levels of teacher librarians, learning assistance teachers, ESL teachers, counsellors in middle and secondary schools, class-size limits – it's good all around."

What a MESS!
I've read that the two sides agreed that where adding another classroom isn't feasible the teacher will be given extra resources. That might be a temporary measure until another classroom can be created or perhaps longer term if necessary. That's the kind of flexibility that will help segue into next year and beyond. Now, if what you're posting is true and the flexibility isn't there, necessitating shifts, then we can blame both sides for that. Let's hope that what I've read is true and that what you're posting this evening is wrong.

But Bernier and Hansman both noted the new agreement offers some flexibility to districts that may have trouble adjusting. - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/t ... l3VsP.dpuf

I had the impression George+ was talking about next year, when the classes are smaller.

A decade ago this would have meant more classrooms were needed in most schools, but with today's declining enrollment it's unlikely to be much of a problem. Some elementary schools may have to end their contracts for alternate uses of their classrooms, but it seems doubtful we'll have a real shortage of classrooms (other than in the few districts where the student population is actually growing).
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”