Truckers not chaining up.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Truckers not chaining up.

Post by GordonH »

^^^ its one thing to have them installed on drive wheels of semi, on rear wheels of delivery trucks can you imagine the amount of gravel they spitting back.
Since it sand with medium size pebbles being spread out during winter months. Windshield shops would be having booming time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

maryjane48 wrote:first driverless truck has already delivered a load . drivers days are numbered

When I see a driverless truck preforming a full pretrip, adding a gallon of oil, fixing an air leak, and replacing a broken strap on the road I will be impressed.
However even then humans will still be required to load, offload, and clean up messes after the truck is in an accident.

As for Auto Chains, they only go under 1 tire. The law requires a full axel or more to be chained. So on most rigs with dualies that leaves 2 tires not chained on that axel.
I have even seen trucks with all drive tires chained up not going anywhere without a tow truck.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

alfred2 wrote:Making excuses for truckers by some of you is just crap.When you take a job you know what you are getting into, plan ahead that simple. Stop the excuses and get into the real world, stop being lazy. :200:

Its not that simple though. Road delays, accidents, and slow vehicles doing 10kph below the speed limit can throw a well planned trip out the window in a matter of minutes.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Gixxer wrote:

Its not that simple though. Road delays, accidents, and slow vehicles doing 10kph below the speed limit can throw a well planned trip out the window in a matter of minutes.

Exactly, waiting for a tow truck and holding up traffic because someone didn't put their chains on may disrupt many well planned trips.
Black Dogs Matter
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dogspoiler wrote:Exactly, waiting for a tow truck and holding up traffic because someone didn't put their chains on may disrupt many well planned trips.

Exactly, or waiting because some idiot wanting to take his kids to the enchanted forest couldnt wait an extra 15 seconds for a break in traffic to turn safely into the entrance. Instead he rushes causes an accident, and a fatality and shuts down the highway for 8 hours.

Or the idiots with their motorhomes/5th wheels that cant do the speed limit with a line of about 20 cars deep behind them.

Or that fuel card lock with only 2 pumps, and one is broken with 4 other trucks next in the line up

Or those multiple 20 minute road construction delays that we all love in the summer.

Yes its really easy for some on here to sit back and criticize the commercial drivers make ignorant comments like "Plan ahead that simple" or "Stop the excuses and get into the real world, stop being lazy"
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Gixxer wrote:
Exactly, or waiting because some idiot wanting to take his kids to the enchanted forest couldnt wait an extra 15 seconds for a break in traffic to turn safely into the entrance. Instead he rushes causes an accident, and a fatality and shuts down the highway for 8 hours.

Or the idiots with their motorhomes/5th wheels that cant do the speed limit with a line of about 20 cars deep behind them.

Or that fuel card lock with only 2 pumps, and one is broken with 4 other trucks next in the line up

Or those multiple 20 minute road construction delays that we all love in the summer.

Yes its really easy for some on here to sit back and criticize the commercial drivers make ignorant comments like "Plan ahead that simple" or "Stop the excuses and get into the real world, stop being lazy"

I don't think anyone said that those incidents would be OK.
However this post is about truckers not chaining up.
Cheers.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Knowing how to is step one. Seen it WAY too often. Some flip-flop wearing person standing outside their
rig ranting about the lack of road maintenance, their chains tied in knots, and not a clue as to how to
put them on.

How about instead of being in denial about the very real possibility that they WILL be needed.
While the truck is in the shop, warm and dry, get them out of their bags, lay them out, and put them on,
and off a few times till you know what you are doing.
and,
learn to hang them up properly so they are ready for use.
Not too hard or embarrassing to ask one who does know.

Not that sometimes things go a little more beyond ones control, the weather. Mountainous in
particular.

It can be a clear dry road and around the bend and up a portion of a grade, a snow squall can have
one in an entire different system.

Witnessed it firsthand. raining on entrance to the snowshed on the "Smasher" full on white out blizzard
on exit.

I doubt the plethora of licence mills spend much time, if any at all on how to properly pull a set of
triples off the hangers, drape and hook them, tighten them, and remove and properly re-hang them.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
ken531a
Fledgling

Post by ken531a »

years ago when you got to the point you had a class 1 you had some mechanical ability adjust brakes, change tires .If you where a owner operator you did everything. Every time i see the diving school trucks , I laugh and say there goes another ice road trucker.LOL
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I have been fortunate or lucky in my 35 plus years on the highway and in the cities trucking. From California to Smithers north south and Vancouver to Regina east west. Not a huge area covered but bigger than most and smaller than many. Long haul driving is a lifestyle not a job. Being away from home for weeks at a time is stressful on relationships. I have thrown sets on to go up and even worse to go down. Thats a scary ride. My sphincter muscle gets a workout. [icon_lol2.gif] For me its about safety . Mine as well as others. If the loads late so be it the sun will come up the next day. If you get in trouble for being safe there are plenty of companies looking. Your unit can be worth Three hundred thousand dollars plus yer load. For me its safety and common sense. The latter seems to be in short supply these days. When in doubt spend 15 mins throw a set on and drive on by those who didnt. Pretty simple. No ????
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So after watching video on the automatic chains, my opinion is they are a joke.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

True. They are pretty much designed with fire trucks and garbage trucks in mind .That type of application. Especially fire trucks as you dont want to stop on the way to a fire and try to throw a set on !!!!!!! The tires are so close to the fenders you would have to jack the truck up to get them on. Then you would have to jack the body up to give enough room to fit between the body and the tires.!!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
robtr31

Post by robtr31 »

rustled wrote:
alfred2 wrote:You do not have to be in the trucking business to have common sense, it does not make you an expert. lol :admin:

Common sense, yes.

That's what tells us that when we find ourselves in circumstances where we need to stop and chain up, or stop for a couple of hours while the road crews do their job, we stop and/or chain up. Common sense tells us how we should proceed.

The law dictates that the trucker must stop for X hours after Y hours of work, so when the snowfall happens late in your shift, the choice is to chain up and risk work longer than you're allowed, or use that last legal hour to legally get to a safe destination to park for your mandated break. That's not common sense, but it's the law.

Yes, some truckers are lazy or incompetent, but that's not always the case. All I'm saying is: Sometimes, even if they'd prefer to chain up before proceeding, they cannot do so without breaking the law.

if they don't chain up get into accident or stuck on the hill they may also be breaking the law , I think if its a matter of a hour and some or so over under unusual conditions would have no problem as long as they put it on there drivers log book which is a leagle document do not appose it and getting to safe place at to park
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GordonH wrote:So after watching video on the automatic chains, my opinion is they are a joke.

They work just fine for their intended purpose, Buses and Emergency vehicles.

usually used in conjunction with self sanders.

Their target audience is not Over The Highway (OTH)

And

I'm sure everyone is quite understanding when they get to a store and the shelves are empty
because the truckers decided to wait for safer road conditions.

Don't like trucks ? Stop buying :cuss: !
Problem solved !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “B.C.”