BC Teacher Fired for Having the Wrong Opinion

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Teacher Fired for Having the Wrong Opinion

Post by flamingfingers »

Why 'the schools'???? Where are the parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents that SHOULD be instilling the proper values and attitudes in their young??
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

flaming fingers wrote:Why 'the schools'???? Where are the parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents that SHOULD be instilling the proper values and attitudes in their young??

It appears that was not past down somewhere along the line, its very unfortunate.... with growing entitlement brats. Society is the biggest losers in this.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Why 'the schools'???? Where are the parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents that SHOULD be instilling the proper values and attitudes in their young??

It was the school which fired the teacher. This madness needs to stop somewhere and even if the parents are daft enough to support their daughter the buck should have stopped with the school.

Instead they validated this behaviour in a way more powerful than the parents could have. A person lost his livelihood because of this girl, she probably feels entitled to anything and everything now - unstoppable.

ETA: They missed an opportunity to educate her about the many different opinions and values in the society in which she lives and instead have fortified in her the idea that only her feelings and her opinions are valid.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

OREZ wrote:
It's a scary thought but it's already happened in the U.S. and it can easily happen here.

I absolutely despise this kind of garbage. The young woman who did this is a spoiled, intolerant, fool who is going to wake up as an adult one day and realize that very few people actually give a rat's *bleep* about her feelings on this and many other issues. That's just the way life, as an adult is.

An opportunity was missed here, to teach her the difference between encountering differing opinions and feeling threatened or "unsafe." This type of action does nothing to prepare this princess for life in the real world. Shame on this school for the way they handled this.

Well said. :130:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

ferri wrote:What bothers me the most about this current trend is that these "schools" are producing people that are not going to be able to cope in society.

Which is why a lot of US colleges offered their students play-doh and dog therapy in "safe spaces" to "cope" with Donald Trump being elected on November 8th. These are supposedly adult students, who were having nervous breakdowns because they haven't been prepared with basic abilities to "cope" when something happens that they disagree with. This type of validation of irrational "feelings" has to stop in our institutions of higher learning. And I agree that this ability to cope with anxiety and change has to begin at home. People are allowed to have different opinions, and just because you disagree with those opinions doesn't mean that you are "triggered" or "unsafe".
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"Triggered." What a BS term.

It's just an excuse to be a complete idiot.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Rwede wrote:"Triggered." What a BS term.

It's just an excuse to be a complete idiot.

Well I will say that "triggered" isn't a BS term, when actually used correctly. Used most commonly for people suffering with PTSD (but can be caused by people who suffer from different mental illness (ex. eating disorder) or have suffered with trauma (ex. child sexual abuse) in their life), especially those who suffer once coming home from war. People who do suffer can be "triggered" by normal day things and it can cause the person to suffer from different psychological symptoms. But I will say that I think it is more important for the individual to seek proper help, learn their triggers and different coping mechanisms then for the world to change (unless people are purposefully trying to trigger others who actually suffer).

But it now seems to be used on both sides to quiet the opposing view. Disappointing.
Last edited by whatwhat on Dec 8th, 2016, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hail Satan y'all
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Princess Snowflaketendertoes will likely simply be married off to Prince Mydaddyistheceo and spend her days drinking caramel machiattos and wine with her bffs while raising the next generation of Snowflaketendertoesgimmenows.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

kgcayenne wrote:Princess Snowflaketendertoes will likely simply be married off to Prince Mydaddyistheceo and spend her days drinking caramel machiattos and wine with her bffs while raising the next generation of Snowflaketendertoesgimmenows.

If she makes it through high school with any degree of sanity intact. School is still school, and this girl will be a prime target for those students that sided with the teacher as she will be seen as having caused his release. Being "triggered" will likely become a common occurrence for her from now on, how long will the "Head of School" put up with her antics in the name of "safety" ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This entire scenario trigger my anger reflex, I'm so upset, I think I'll give up...... reading.

Congrats OREZ. As I read on, I kept reading how stupid (my word) the young "lady" was, she this, she that, her parents this her parents that, and nobody was seeing the glaring fact THE SCHOOL should have pointed out to she and her parents that the teacher did nothing wrong.

BUT, this was a private school, the wealthy parents (and thus the child) are the customer. I'm sure the school knew that Mrs. Snot was going to talk to all her other wealthy friends who have their little dears in that school and it was going to be big trouble.

Big Trouble vs Fire Mr Innocent Teacher

No contest.

I remember when the Socreds (alias : Liberals) decided to cave in to their wealthy constituents (synonym for : "friends and contributors") and subsidize privates schooling (I was just a kid, but recall my father ranting and raving about it).

What a wonderful day for democracy. Democracy, the best system that money can buy.

The golden rule - He who has the gold rules.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kgcayenne wrote:Princess Snowflaketendertoes will likely simply be married off to Prince Mydaddyistheceo and spend her days drinking caramel machiattos and wine with her bffs while raising the next generation of Snowflaketendertoesgimmenows.

Only part I disagree with is her raising the next generation of Snowflaketendertoesgimmenows.

She's going to abort her children. Hence the violent reaction to anyone who has an opinion that doesn't favour abortion.

Oops, hope I didn't trigger anyone.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Rwede wrote:She's going to abort her children. Hence the violent reaction to anyone who has an opinion that doesn't favour abortion.

Or maybe it's that she's been there already that was the trigger that triggered her trigger ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Devil's advocate here:
Perhaps the news article does not print the entire story. (I've had insider knowledge to some things that have appeared in print and know they only contained part of the truth and lacked context.)

Perhaps the administrator wanted to get rid of the teacher for some other reason.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Piecemaker wrote:Devil's advocate here:
Perhaps the news article does not print the entire story. (I've had insider knowledge to some things that have appeared in print and know they only contained part of the truth and lacked context.)

Perhaps the administrator wanted to get rid of the teacher for some other reason.

Well it appears from the story that in the teaching/employment environment at this school, there is little job protection for teachers (employee), thus if that was the case if they didn't like the teacher because of the color of his eyes, then why not fire him for just that. It doesn't seem like grounds for termination is a concern.

I'm sure a tidbit of the story is that the school likely paid the teacher a severance, which negates wrongful dismissal.

Keep in mind that it is illegal to fire someone without cause, BUT a company is only liable to pay severance, which, unless the employee is a very long term employee is relatively cheap.

An employee working under a union contract has MUCH more protection.

ie, You've worked for me for 4 years, I'm the boss and I've taken a dislike to you because you always win at cards during lunch, other than that your work is perfectly fine. I fire you and give you one months salary for each year you have worked.

Bye bye..... nothing you can do.

I decide that I want younger employees, so I call in the 4 employees who are over 55 and fire them for their age. I explain that I have been very satisfied with their work and they should not feel that they did anything wrong, except get old. (yes, I know most of you think you CAN'T do that) I do advise each employee that I will pay them one month salary for each year they have been with the company. They are mad and threaten to see a lawyer. I invite them to see one, but warn them that their lawyer will just tell them that there is nothing they can do.

Bye bye..... nothing they can do.

Welcome to the non-union environment.

...and you anti-union types just thought that unions protected that lazy good for nothing jerk that can't get fired even though he deserves it.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I suspect that this teacher will be walking away with some $ in his jeans after a very successful wrongful dismissal suite.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

Return to “B.C.”