Snow sports spike ER visits

Sparki55
Guru

Snow sports spike ER visits

Post by Sparki55 »

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/184190/Snow-sports-spike-ER-visits

Taking the article at face value with no further research I can conclude that hockey, skiing and snowboarding are all very dangerous activities. In addition the article indicates a higher rate of injury for males. I would like to single out skiing and snowboarding for this thread as hockey already mandates required protective gear and puts referees in place to control situations.

There is mention that helmets and slower speeds could prevent most of the injuries, these need to be mandatory. The government should create two new laws to mandate the use of helmets on ski slopes along with the hiring of ski patrol officers to remove people going to fast on the slopes. The number of injuries are too high and with BC medical already strained there needs to be something in place for these careless people.

*** The above is not my personal view on the topic and I disagree with the government creating safety laws when the injuries only directly affect an individual. However, there are people in my life with the views I portrayed above and i'd like to open discussion on this. I understand healthcare is funded by everyone (in Canada) but to me the solution is not to limit how individuals participate in activities (with helmet, going slower) but rather have everyone responsible for their own actions; ie hurt yourself on the ski hill and pay for the costs yourself, buy your own insurance if you choose to ski. If the individual does not have insurance, set them up on a pay plan over a year or two.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Snow sports spike ER visits

Post by Even Steven »

If you think about it, people who participate in winter sports usually tend to be more health-oriented and probably cost less money to the system as opposed to somebody who never sees the hill, never does anything athletic, sits at home gaining weight by eating pizza and drinking soft drinks. Those people need to be singled out, not people who are fit enough to go on a ski hill.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Basic health care needs falls under BC Medical services, anyone can purchase extended medical benefits.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The government should mandate helmet and speed laws on the slopes. Bhahahah you're joking right?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sparki55 wrote:*** The above is not my personal view on the topic and I disagree with the government creating safety laws when the injuries only directly affect an individual. However, there are people in my life with the views I portrayed above and i'd like to open discussion on this. I understand healthcare is funded by everyone (in Canada) but to me the solution is not to limit how individuals participate in activities (with helmet, going slower) but rather have everyone responsible for their own actions; ie hurt yourself on the ski hill and pay for the costs yourself, buy your own insurance if you choose to ski. If the individual does not have insurance, set them up on a pay plan over a year or two.

I'm sorry but as an inhome healthcare worker I am going to assure you that injuries directly affect not just the individual, but the entire family. Everyone.

Everything changes for the spouse, the parents, the childern and the pets. Yes, sometimes the pets can't be afforded and have to be re-homed.

But especially the spouse. If the spouse manages to make the first hurdles of the shock and grief a permanently injured member of the family, then the reality sets in that absolutely everything in the household can change and mostly in negative ways. Some the considerations are obvious, and some are more subtle. Having strangers in your home four times a day for ADL care, having home health aides like plug-in electric wheelchairs, sometimes entire house renovations, more expenses increasingly not covered by government or insurance and on and on. Ceiling track lifts, floor to ceiling poles and on and on. None of this is visible to the causal eye, just those who work with it on a daily basis. Now you've got home visits from RNs, LPNs, Rehab, Social Workers, and so on. Appts to make all the time and knowing what the Handidart rules are and making those calls and cancelling other things so that no one is at the door calling scheduling to say, "there's no answer." Everyones lives change! I have way more examples, but I think you'd get the idea. Or anyone else who might buy into the idea that the changes are only for the individual.

So nope, not just the indivdual is affected.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

The exercise, the friendships or family time, and the good memories make for a healthy population.

The health benefits from these activities more than make up for the injuries.

Return to “B.C.”