"It's the economy, stupid" - BUT

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: "It's the economy, stupid" - BUT

Post by flamingfingers »

This topic has gone completely and TOTALLY off the rails!! Why are we talking about the NDP either here or in Alberta???
Chill
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OREZ wrote:Please explain to us exactly "how and what drives any economy," if you would.

Put it in terms which even us stupid people can understand if possible.

For those that get it, no explanation is necessary. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

flamingfingers wrote:This topic has gone completely and TOTALLY off the rails!! Why are we talking about the NDP either here or in Alberta???

LOL
Yeah, I tried to point out that we were going way off topic several comments ago but you know some people can't just let things go, right?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Off Topic.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jan 4th, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic personal attack
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^So for the sake of a few temporary jobs for BC we should just go on and trash the environment, eh?
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Apparently yes, if the environment is located on Pennask Summit.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol yes lets just promise jobs then when none appear we go back 25 years and blame ndp lmao
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:^^So for the sake of a few temporary jobs for BC we should just go on and trash the environment, eh?

You do understand that getting Canada's oil to tidewater has the potential to add 800,000 long term jobs in the industry, don't you?

We currently have ~75,000 direct jobs in the oilsands.

We have the potential for 900,000 jobs if we can access markets.

Do people not care about adding 800,000 good jobs for people, and care more about trumpeting the NDP's stupid NO! policies?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:lol yes lets just promise jobs then when none appear we go back 25 years and blame ndp lmao

The NDP were last in power 16 years ago. Sounds like you are doing NDP math there.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:The NDP were last in power 16 years ago.

And we're still paying dearly for that egregious mistake.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

flamingfingers wrote:^^So for the sake of a few temporary jobs for BC we should just go on and trash the environment, eh?

Rwede wrote:You do understand that getting Canada's oil to tidewater has the potential to add 800,000 long term jobs in the industry, don't you?

We currently have ~75,000 direct jobs in the oilsands.

We have the potential for 900,000 jobs if we can access markets.

Do people not care about adding 800,000 good jobs for people, and care more about trumpeting the NDP's stupid NO! policies?

Not to mention that for years now Canada's oil has been going for about $15 less per barrel than the average because of cost associated with exporting it. Maybe not such a big deal when oil is well over $100 a barrel but it's a pretty big kick in the crotch now. Hey, I'm not against pipelines in general I just recognize that it needs to be done with extreme caution because you don't really get a second chance at these things.

And how come nobody is talking about refining oil instead of simply exporting crude? That would be a lot of jobs too. As long as these things are done properly I think we really have no choice but to accept the fact that petroleum products of all kinds are completely integrated into our way of life now and the consumption will continue until there are alternatives. Why do we export so many raw resources instead of keeping the work here?

Tourism is great but it also requires tons of petroleum products to be consumed to get the tourists here. There's no escaping it.

Whale products used to be a big part of the economy and way of life too - not just for fuel and lubricants but the bone was extensively used as well- how many people consume whale products now? A lot of that was replaced by petroleum products and that took most of the pressure the whales which is awesome because if it didn't they'd all be extinct by now. What are we going to replace oil with? Eventually something, I hope but for now I think we're stuck with it so it's best to proceed with caution and make the most of what resources we have.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OREZ wrote:
And how come nobody is talking about refining oil instead of simply exporting crude? That would be a lot of jobs too. As long as these things are done properly I think we really have no choice but to accept the fact that petroleum products of all kinds are completely integrated into our way of life now and the consumption will continue until there are alternatives. Why do we export so many raw resources instead of keeping the work here?

Would that also not be a valid question to ask any and all oil producing countries as well? The Saudis alone could probably supply the entire world with gasoline and diesel if they built the refineries. The reason they don't is really quite simple if one understands that crude oil is not simply refined into gasoline and diesel fuel and that it just makes more economic sense to refine for the various required outputs close to the markets that need those different outputs.
Canada is no different. We produce far more oil than we need for domestic purposes. We could refine it all and easily export all the high margin products but would end up with mountains of other end products like bunker C and asphalt tar that you can't ship any great distance except at a loss. This is also why the preferred location for refineries that are not soley for domestic market consumption is places that have easy access to bulk tide water vessels. Refining it all is not as practical or as simple logistically as it appears at first glance. And that is something the leftists and greenies just can't or won't try to wrap their heads around.

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Duh.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OREZ wrote:Duh.

Apparently it is not "Duh" to all the people that call for Canada to just build refineries is it?

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

twobits wrote:

We produce far more oil than we need for domestic purposes. We could refine it all and easily export all the high margin products but would end up with mountains of other end products like bunker C and asphalt tar that you can't ship any great distance except at a loss.

What do the refineries in Baytown, Texas, the one at Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, Garyville, Louisiana, United States, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States DO with the mountains of other end products, pray tell?
Chill

Return to “B.C.”