Perjury conviction upheld for former Mountie

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Perjury conviction upheld for former Mountie

Post by maryjane48 »

he has eblvery right 5o due process . but my opinion is after 3 guilty verdicts a fourth will be coming
my5cents
Guru

Re: Perjury conviction upheld for former Mountie

Post by my5cents »

maryjane48 wrote:He has every right to due process. But my opinion is after 3 guilty verdicts a fourth will be coming

Again, you can't lump the two incidents together.

He was found guilty of Obstruct Justice. That's once

He was found guilty of Perjury. That's twice, however a totally separate incident.

His conviction was upheld on appeal. If you want to call that a guilty verdict, so be it. It's not. He is, at this moment, still guilty of perjury. Because the BC Court of Appeal panel was 2 to 1 in favor of upholding the conviction (ie not unanimous) he can appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The cost involved would be high and I doubt the RCMP will be backing him. So he may just take his medicine like he should.

If that helps you sleep you can call the BC Court of Appeal's upholding of the conviction a conviction if you want, it's really a confirmation of the guilty verdict.

As for him being a police officer, I guess in actual fact the charge and conviction for Obstruct Justice was directly related to the fact he was a cop. If a civilian did exactly the same thing, they would unlikely be charged, and very likely if charged, not found guilty. The guilt stemmed from the crown being able to show and prove his police knowledge taught him how to avoid an impaired driving charge. Something that actually many non-police and non-legally trained likely are aware of as well, just real hard to prove by the crown.

NOTE TO maryjane48 : In an earlier post I pointed out an error in your post that Monty was "found guilty by former judge Thomas Braidwood". In now reading the The Province article that you quoted I see the error was their's (What ! the media got something wrong !!!!) I will also edit my earlier post.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”