High poverty with no plan

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: High poverty with no plan

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Queen K wrote:I dont' think GB was referring to "poor" in the monetary sense but rather a soft, sentimental sense. Something we're unaccustomed to from him.

LOL
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:
And it isn't their fault. They weren't born into a World they asked for. These childern need strong role models and will inside of them to see what's around them and make a decision to break free from the chains of poverty. .

So are you saying that these kids should be taken out of their lazy welfare-addicted homes and put in homes with poor people who work for a living? You might be on to something there.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

fluffy wrote:• In 2012, the bottom 30% of Canadians accounted for less than 1% of all
wealth; the bottom 50% combined controlled less than 6%.

is this information taken from tax returns? There are a lot of Canadians who live quite well and yet don't earn a lot of money, as they are dependent on their spouse/partner to make the money, while they raise the kids/work on their novel/watch Price is Right all day. This is the same issue with the "study" that came out by an "anti-poverty" group who said that 50% of kids in BC who are "children of divorce" have at least one parent "living in poverty". This stat was ridiculous, as a lot of parents live off of their non-taxable child support and non-taxable child tax benefits (I know this as I know several people who are doing this now). So thus would be considered "living in poverty" while not actually do this at all.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No, I'm referring to everyone who meets these children needs to be stronger than average role models in a non-judgemental way.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:...is this information taken from tax returns?

I gathered it from a few sources actually, government reports, thinktank reports and media articles. I was trying to search out a figure for the percentage of Canadians dependent on social assistance, a difficult figure to find so it seems.

I was surprised however to find that the median income for the country was so close to the poverty line, and that while I occasionally bounce into the "top 10%" category, I do not see myself as what you'd call well-off. On the same token, I don't find it particularly difficult to survive the lean years although even the lean years are considerably above the median income line. Even as a single person with relatively low living costs I can't imagine having to get by on $30K/year, let alone nudging up against the poverty line.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The key is shelter costs or lack thereof. If one doesn't have to pay either in any significant way, it's a lot easier to get by on $30K/yr.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

True. I bought a modest house over twenty years ago and my mortgage payment is less than half what rent would be on a similar house. When I'm laid off from work I practice for retirement by leaving my savings account alone and living off EI, which checks in around the poverty line,and the odd side job. It's a reality check at times I wouldn't be able to pull it off on EI alone.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “B.C.”