Fledgling

Re: Jobs for british columbians ? um no

Post by Gypsylady »

explain. the article does not say that. how do you read. [icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I read it that the BC trades unions are expressing concerns earlier than later that foriegn workers are being recruited to take the jobs.

Doesn't mean it's happening. But the concern is there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Jobs for British Columbians ? um no

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Why didn't the reporter speak with Kinder Morgan?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I'm not going to post the same story again but most of the jobs created by Site C have been filled by British Columbians.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

um topic isnt site c
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Gypsylady wrote:explain. the article does not say that. how do you read. [icon_lol2.gif]

what it says is ever since km has talked about more pipelines they have refused to talk with the unions here that would supply the workers . and even now still refuse to talk .

which puts clark in the postion of either defending bc against km or not . :smt045
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:um topic isnt site c
Members of a trade union being "concerned" doesn't equal no jobs for British Columbians. The same "concern" was expressed about the Site C project but the vast majority of the jobs so far have been taken by British Columbians.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wrong again . site c was anounced with 75 percent guarenteed bc jobs . i posted the link . it isnt c9ncern its km wont takk to them and times running out for clark to speak up against km because it wont take long for this to be front page news.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:wrong again . site c was anounced with 75 percent guarenteed bc jobs . i posted the link . it isnt c9ncern its km wont takk to them and times running out for clark to speak up against km because it wont take long for this to be front page news.
The latest employment statistics show that there were 1,547 total workers on the Site C project in May 2016, with 1,223 workers from British Columbia (79%).
http://www.prhp.ca/site-c-reaches-emplo ... c-workers/

Keep in mind that the job numbers vary from month to month. One poster on here complained some time ago that the Site C construction jobs weren't permanent but that's the nature of construction jobs. Apparently, the percentage of BC workers has been as high as 82% and as low as 65% and if BC workers are available it's certainly in the government's best interests to hire them. Why not?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Wonder how you would feel if only Albertans were allowed to work the oil patch? Jobs like this should be filled with the best Canadian that is able to do the job.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it should have best tradesmen women . i agree . that isnt the issue . clark said bc gets first shot ..lets see if she fights for that .because lots of voters will be
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

maryjane48 wrote:it should have best tradesmen women . i agree . that isnt the issue . clark said bc gets first shot ..lets see if she fights for that .because lots of voters will be

Actually, it's the law that we get first shot. Unfortunately, Trudeau is pondering changes to that law to erase the first shot advantage from Canadians and open it up to anyone from anywhere. Clark is a bit hamstrung, since it's a federal law that is being fiddled with, not a provincial one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I'm ranting here because it relates, but companies within BC are extremely hesitant or won't take on or train apprentices. They complain about not being able to find qualified workers, but I and several people I know can't even get in the door because we "don't have the experience." How are we supposed to get the experience if we can't even get into an environment to do so?

This doesn't shock me one bit. Look on any job site and you'll see the same ads relentlessly posted over and over again looking for "experienced red seal journeyman with 3 years experience!" (I'll let that sink in for a minute) Yes, older tradesman are retiring. Yes, they need skilled workers, but if they are not willing to train LOCAL workers, well the skilled and qualified workers have to come from somewhere!

It's not all on the companies though, some unions make it so bloody ignorant for companies to higher new workers for skilled positions, it just leaves me dumbfounded. I get it, you're protecting the workers you represent. In the long term, it just winds up hurting any local up-and-coming talent...and then they complain when the work is farmed out to non-union companies and the hiring is done out of country to foreign workers. They're not looking long term, that's for sure. The local (Canadian) work force, trade-wise at least is becoming less and less skilled and it's only going to get worse.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

MCB wrote:I'm ranting here because it relates, but companies within BC are extremely hesitant or won't take on or train apprentices.

They won't?

Okay, hang on a minute, because I have to go tell the 4 apprentices downstairs to get the hell out, because some dude on the internet says companies don't train apprentices.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “B.C.”