ICBC unveils new plates

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: ICBC unveils new plates

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Did it have numbers ? Color and font looked good.. That was all i saw.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

That would be a nice personalized plate with "ASSMAN" on it.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to encourage readers of a public forum that it's easy to defraud insurance companies. Because it's too late when you find out after the fact that Glacier on Castanet was wrong.

Playing "games" with insurance is NOT a good idea. It can get VERY expensive.

I don't know about that. Insurance rates are on the rise because "fraud is on the rise." If fraud didn't pay, it wouldn't cost the rest of us more because of it.

I know a lot of people who have committed fraud, and I can only think of one person who got caught, and it was a few hundred dollar fine for using purple diesel in his truck.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Glacier wrote: Insurance rates are on the rise because "fraud is on the rise."

That's the excuse the government uses. Truth be told , rates are on the rise because they are siphoning $$$$$ off the top of ICBC profits and putting it into general revenues. It's a way of raising taxes without being held accountable for raising taxes.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

gordon_as wrote:
Glacier wrote:That's the excuse the government uses. Truth be told , rates are on the rise because they are siphoning $$$$$ off the top of ICBC profits and putting it into general revenues. It's a way of raising taxes without being held accountable for raising taxes.

How do you equate the fact that the government is siphoning money ONLY from optional coverage BUT the portion of ICBC coverage that the rates are going up is the optional section. ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

As I really like the new "park" plates, and also like the idea of supporting our Provincial Park system, I was willing to pay the upfront fee to get a set.

But when I realized I'd be stuck with an additional fee of $40 every year thereafter, I changed my mind.

There are lots of folks like me, who wouldn't mind paying a one time fee, but who can't afford to keep paying it ad nauseum. I think they'll find they've hurt their own program by being too greedy.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It's similar to the other unique plates. Like if you get a personalized one, you pay an upfront cost for it, and then an annual renewal to keep the customization.

I feel with these the renewal fee is because the money is supposed to go to maintaining the parks. Either way, $40/year is an extra $3/month on my insurance which is pretty negligible.

I went with the mountain style plates myself.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Thought about a personalized plate here in B.C. for a while now. $100.00 is OK by me but I am sorry.......$40.00 a year, every year after that........not in your life. Trust this province to milk this. Absolutely ZERO work has to be done by ICBC once the personalized plate is applied for and produced. Other provinces (Manitoba $100.00, Alberta $221.00, Saskatchewan $95.00) have a ONE TIME FEE!

I wonder if our premier has one?..............PIG TRF.........SOO EEE.......FA TASS........
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Not sure if the old personal plates had the annual fee.. And then it maybe changed and they got grandfathered ?
I know that at least at one time they used to come up for sale on ebay fairly often..you could buy some cool ones..but not be able to run them. Picked up a cool one with a guy I knew ..his nickname..he was glad to get it.
They looked similar to Colorado plates at one time..
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Just another tax grab for those that like to pay more taxes.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I spend probably a thousand dollars a year when it comes to camp fees, supplies, travel expenses. Paying $3 a month that gives me a cool looking plate and helps fund the parks in this province? I don't really mind. I spend more money than that each day on coffee.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Good for you..
But I think they could sell a lot more plates, by leaving off the renewal fees.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Omnitheo wrote:It's similar to the other unique plates. Like if you get a personalized one, you pay an upfront cost for it, and then an annual renewal to keep the customization.

I feel with these the renewal fee is because the money is supposed to go to maintaining the parks. Either way, $40/year is an extra $3/month on my insurance which is pretty negligible.

I went with the mountain style plates myself.

I went with the mountains as well. I've spent many years and hundreds of thousands of kilometres driving in BC with a lot of those being in the Purcell Mountains, so for me I liked the idea of that particular design.

According to this article $33 of the initial $50 goes to BC Parks (regular plates are $18 anyways) and 100% of the subsequent $40 renewal goes directly to BC Parks. Personally I have no issue spending that extra $3/month as you said. Plus, for 2017 I already got my free park pass, which in any other year is roughly $140. I'm looking at it as an alternative to buying that pass.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3941983

Return to “B.C.”