55 million to demolish jetty

zzontar
Guru

55 million to demolish jetty

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#187775

The Department of National Defence has awarded a $55.45 million contract for the demolition of an outdated jetty at the navy dockyard in Esquimalt.

Is it just me or is that a bit steep? Why couldn't they make an artificial reef out of it and save a bundle of tax dollars?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: 55 million to demolish ship

Post by Queen K »

That is outrageous. Someones getting a nice kickback.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

55 million to demolish a ship

55 million to demolish a *jetty*.....not a ship.
Did you not read the article??
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Ah yes, my mistake... I guess they're a bit harder to sink, but that's still a wad of cash!
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I guess they're a bit harder to sink, but that's still a wad of cash!

Agreed.
It is a huge pile of cash that is badly needed in a whole bunch of other places in the province.

But from what I hear....that jetty has long surpassed its lifespan and is desperate need of replacement in order to accommodate the larger displacement ships we have (or will have) in service.

Politically....Victoria is and will probably always be solidly NDP.
This expenditure wont be getting any more seats for the liberals in the coming election.
Besides, it is federal money earmarked for the CAF.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Wow, the whole thread got political fast.

Basing your opinion on how much it costs to do the job on a newspaper article without knowledge to the skilled trades it takes to do the job is interesting.

How much do you feel it SHOULD take to do the job? Throw out a number.

55 million is a lot of money (some would say a boatload [icon_lol2.gif] ) but again the process probably went to tender and that was the lowest number based on professionals who do this for a living.

Now lets look at what happens to the 55 million dollars the government pays for the work.

It does something we magically call "creates jobs."
Then those workers pay taxes. Then the businesses around the area that support the workers in their new jobs get more business which often means they too may create jobs. Then those people pay taxes and the cycle continues.

Could you imagine if a community like Williams Lake received a project at that scale? We would never have a thread like this.

When you zoom out and look at the big picture the whole thing looks a lot different.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

zzontar wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-187775-3-.htm#187775

The Department of National Defence has awarded a $55.45 million contract for the demolition of an outdated jetty at the navy dockyard in Esquimalt.

Is it just me or is that a bit steep? Why couldn't they make an artificial reef out of it and save a bundle of tax dollars?

It is not for a ship. It is for a "Jetty" . A jetty is a walkway. Duh.

For berthing at docks[edit]
Where docks are given sloping sides, openwork timber jetties are generally carried across the slope, at the ends of which vessels can lie in deep water or more solid structures are erected over the slope for supporting coal-tips. Pilework jetties are also constructed in the water outside the entrances to docks on each side, so as to form an enlarging trumpet-shaped channel between the entrance, lock or tidal basin and the approach channel, in order to guide vessels in entering or leaving the docks. Solid jetties, moreover, lined with quay walls, are sometimes carried out into a wide dock,at right angles to the line of quays at the side, to enlarge the accommodation; and they also serve, when extended on a large scale from the coast of a tideless sea under shelter of an outlying breakwater, to form the basins in which vessels lie when discharging and taking in cargoes in such a port as Marseille.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetty
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

The defence department says both A and B jetties were originally designed for ships that were smaller and lighter than today’s modern Canadian patrol frigates, and both will eventually be demolished.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the outdated jetties have served the Royal Canadian Navy for more than 70 years, but they are now well past their intended service life.
New docking facilities to be built are designed for the modern frigates joining the navy fleet from 2018 to 2040.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... malt-jetty
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hey it cost at least 4 million to turn QUEENsway Jetty...into Tourism Jetty...
I bet its well under a tenth the size of the one in Esquimalt.

I see there is concern over that spending in Esquimalt.....I only hope those concerned folks showed up for the meeting here when OUR LOCAL Jetty was being decided upon..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

If you can implode a multi-storey building surrounded by other edifices in a bustling city - well, this begs the question.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

inquisitive wrote:If you can implode a multi-storey building surrounded by other edifices in a bustling city - well, this begs the question.

What is your question?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

zzontar wrote:Ah yes, my mistake... I guess they're a bit harder to sink, but that's still a wad of cash!

For someone that gets VERY hung up on proper use of words, that's a pretty big mistake, dude.
You must not be very gay about that mistake...... :biggrin:

But, as others have noted, the job isn't exactly one that can be done on the cheap. All of the environmental :cuss: would have to be adhered to carefully.
You and 71 others Like this post
spooker

Post by spooker »

inquisitive wrote:If you can implode a multi-storey building surrounded by other edifices in a bustling city - well, this begs the question.

Sure, just blow it up, let it sink to the bottom, and then send in the navy to scrape it off the seabed with that $2b submarine ... makes perfect sense to me :up:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So the item being demolish is most likely in this area here, which one is anyone guess:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadi ... 23.4293628

jetty is another word for pier
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

They want to take out 2 old jetties, and make the bay deeper to allow for the larger ships that Canada now has. The materials from the old jetties will be used to build 2 new jetties (recycle). This plan is sociologically, environmentally, logistically, and strategically, responsible.

Return to “B.C.”