Re: Cut off, stranded on highway

Post by LTD »

dirtybiker wrote:
LTD wrote:

If you have such disdain towards all these individuals driving these trucks,
might I suggest you stop purchasing the products that they deliver for
your consumption.
Why would you willingly spend your money keeping them in a position of employ
when you have such a low regard for their existence ?

easy there turbo its not an attack on you I know there are more than enough idiots in cars and trucks to, my disdain as you call it is towards the idiots that chose to ignore what cvse told them the other night and spun out side by side blocking off three lanes. I have a buddy who is a cvse and a big part of his job in winter involves stopping trucks before the snow shed hill and making them chain up he is constantly amazed at how many people have no clue how to put chains on :-X
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

dirtybiker wrote:
ETA: Roads originated for the movement of goods and supplies !

Movement of people is just a side show act !

I hate to dogpile DB, but the roadways back in the day were initially set up for mainly autos, the majority of the heavy hauling of goods was done by rail.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Not in the last 40 years.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Not in the last 40 years.

Rail was & is the most efficient way to transport goods, 100+ railcars with couple engines.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

ONE double-stacked intermodal (container) train removes 200 plus trucks (semi's) off of the highways........not a more efficient or economical method when moving across long distances. Of course trucks have to move products locally or to locations where rail service is unavailable. One mode of transport cannot replace the other........they both play equal parts in moving goods.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Not in the last 40 years.

For the most part yes.

But that does not change DB's assertion that roadways were designed primarily to transport goods and services . . . which is false. I've been around awhile too.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

lesliepaul wrote:ONE double-stacked intermodal (container) train removes 200 plus trucks (semi's) off of the highways........not a more efficient or economical method when moving across long distances. Of course trucks have to move products locally or to locations where rail service is unavailable. One mode of transport cannot replace the other........they both play equal parts in moving goods.

I agree, but it did not start out that way. It has evolved to the present usage as you have described.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

the truth wrote:anyone with half a brain, would have a full tank of gas ,food and water just in case, people are becoming so f :cuss: stupid

I've traveled the Coq God knows how many times. Let's say around 80 perhaps? I don't recall ever bringing food and water with me. Not once. I stop at gas stations or stores along the way when I am thristy or hungry.

Why would people expect to be trapped for over 6 hours on a journey they've probably made dozens of times?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

fvkasm2x wrote:
the truth wrote:anyone with half a brain, would have a full tank of gas ,food and water just in case, people are becoming so f :cuss: stupid

I've traveled the Coq God knows how many times. Let's say around 80 perhaps? I don't recall ever bringing food and water with me. Not once. I stop at gas stations or stores along the way when I am thristy or hungry.

Why would people expect to be trapped for over 6 hours on a journey they've probably made dozens of times?

Because it happens every. single. year.

I was stuck at the Coq Summit in a 4Runner with 4 Adults, 1 kid, 2 dogs for over 5 hours... total trip was almost 8 hours from Kelowna to Abbotsford.

We thankfully had snacks because of the kid, and always carry water... most inconvenient thing were all the ladies stuck in the lineup that had to go to the bathroom!

Most aggrivating thing was being stuck stopped for 5 hours, and as soon as traffic started moving, THEN the truckers decide they need to chain up...OMG! Took another hour to get to the Snowshed.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We always have drinking water and washing water. I throw in towels and cleaning rags for whatever happens.

Nothing wrong with having food either, half the time we never eat it. But for all the times we had to clean off something or other, I'm glad we've had the water.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

fvkasm2x wrote:

Thats nothing, I rode my bike a thousand times without needed my helmet or gloves, but i still take them everytime..

the roads were designed for heavy trucks, even the Hope Princeton built in the 50's has runaway lanes. Do you think they have chainup areas 500 feet long for motorhomes ?
When is the last time you saw a train move stuff into Kelowna ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lesliepaul wrote:ONE double-stacked intermodal (container) train removes 200 plus trucks (semi's) off of the highways........not a more efficient or economical method when moving across long distances. Of course trucks have to move products locally or to locations where rail service is unavailable. One mode of transport cannot replace the other........they both play equal parts in moving goods.

Thank God for El Gordo. BC Rail had the intermodal service, but the government scrapped it because shipping by truck created trucker jobs.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Wow stranded on the Coq for a few hours, sounds hellish. I wonder if anyone contemplated suicide. The government should have support services on hand for those affected.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Perhaps your response wouldn't be quite as flippant, if you had a loved one sitting in a big rig standing on a 4" thick sheet of ice.

Even for those prepared for such a possibility, that storm caused family members extreme stress.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

DB; your second and longer post is a much better example of understanding reality. I too agree that there are many excellent big rig drivers on the highways who have to share the road with their not so talented brethren and the rest of us in the teeny tiny cars.

I also agree that a lot of the issues are with the "little guys". The numbers alone indicate that there have to be more morons driving cars than trucks but put it all together and you get mayhem.

There is really no reason for people to not be prepared but most are because as one put it "I'v probably driven it eighty times or more and I never packed food or water".

That there's ur problem.

I have driven the Coq and the connector countless times and when the weather is bad, that highway is one of the most dangerous there is yet people refuse to respect it and mother nature and that includes both trucks and cars.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “B.C.”