CRA email scam

nobaddays2007

CRA email scam

Post by nobaddays2007 »

This just showed up in my inbox. Looks pretty real - well almost. Notice the word “received” spelled wrong? and highly doubt the CRA would send out anything without the official Canadian logo on it. There are links to click on that are not shown here but are in the original email.

Interac e-Transfer recived as tax refund for last year,

Transfered to:********@shaw.ca

To receive the transfer of $312.00 from CRA, please confirm your details.

13/02/2017
Due overtaxed income for last year Canada Revenue Agency refunded you with $312. An Interac e-Transfer is a simple, convenient and secure way to send money directly from one bank account to another, without sharing any personal financial information.

Canada Revenue Agency.
Date Modified: 13/02/2017
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: CRA email scam

Post by Piecemaker »

That is suspicious and the fact that CRA deposits money directly into your bank account and sends you a statement in the mail.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I've had many over the last few years, the page looks legit but then to receive your return they wanted credit card info to pay haha. Nice try!! All the while knowing what a guy is getting or already received payment for.
Last edited by phasyluck on Feb 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Thanks for the heads-up nobaddays!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I never answer any emails or phone calls like that. I always take the information and phone the caller on a line that I know for sure (never a number or anything they supply) and confirm whether it is true or not. There are so many scams going around today I do not trust anything. Much better safe than sorry for the small amount of time it takes to be careful. It amazes me after the amount of news and warnings about these things how many people actually get caught up in them.

Thanks nobaddays2007 for the heads up to keep us alert.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”