Let's change the name from Family Day to........

twobits
Guru

Re: Let's change the name from Family Day to........

Post by twobits »

bob vernon wrote:Let's change the name from Family Day to Ski Resort Day. The reason that BC has Family Day the week before Alberta has their Family Day is because the ski resorts lobbied Christy to have ours on a different weekend. That way, the ski resorts could fill up with BC residents one weekend and then be open for Albertans the next weekend. It's about money. And like everything with Christy, it's for sale.

So if you have family in Alberta who want to come home for the Family Day weekend, or a hockey team wants to play in a tournament in the neighbouring province...... make sure which weekend you're talking about. It's not all about families, Christy, it's all about ski resorts making money.

OMG! There was public consultation. Did you participate? I doubt it.

This post is just another Neanderthal NDP example of "no to everything". Instead of applauding an instance where input was asked of the public, and the ski resort industry provided a compelling reason for their chosen date, you instead choose to disparage the gov't deciding that the choice actually made sense for a segment of our economy.
I have no doubt whatsoever that had the gov't chosen the alternative weekend that coincided with Alberta's weekend, you would have been on here bashing that decision for being so short sighted because it put resort employee's out of work.
This op post is beyond pathetic in it's transparency of lack of thought and rife with nothing but political agenda with no consideration of reality.
If there is one thing I am thankful about Dix for......it is that he opened the eyes of British Colombian's and made them aware that just sayin no to everything the gov't does doesn't automatically make them a better option. What Dix did was engage a large segment of the population that never questioned NDP policy and how it might effect them personally. That is why the NDP lost the last election and will this time too.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

From a personal stand point I could do without Family Day. I have no kids and my family is practically all in Ontario.

From a business perspective, it's a headache with these different dates. In my field our head office is in Ontario, which leaves us with zero assistance the first day after the weekend (when they have their Family Day). We also travel between BC and Alberta regularly for those of us working in the west. If I have the Monday off, they can't send me to Alberta because they'll only do five day work weeks to justify costs. Conversely an Alberta worker won't be sent to BC during their shortened week. When Alberta has their Family Day, I may be free for all five days, but the businesses we visit their are all closed on the Monday, and vice versa.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:So some people like to ski on family day? Is that wrong?

MOST (a in probably 95%+) of families just enjoyed a day together.

How someone can possibly find negative in that is beyond my comprehension :topic:

Of course it's not wrong, but why narrow entire stat day to one thing. Some families use the day to go do lots of other things.
I'm saying, "keeping it neutral makes it encompassing for all."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don't care what they call it, and I don't care what people choose to do with their day off. But it does make a lot of sense to have it on the same day as the other Provinces.

Kudos to Christie for implementing a stat in Feb. And thumbs down to all those of us who chose not to participate in the discussion regarding which day it should be held on. But that said, now that we all recognize the economic problems resulting from the decision taken, let's be willing to acknowledge our collective error and FIX IT.

All the different rules in all the different provinces (and I don't just mean this Stat) really hurt this Country's "bottom line" and it's about time the Premiers got their act together and tried to improve the situation. Because when Canada benefits we ALL benefit.

The decision regarding when to hold Family Day is just one more illustration of thinking Provincially rather than Nationally. And it's time we all stopped doing that, and started considering the bigger picture.

Why is it so easy to negotiate mutually agreed upon rules with other countries, yet so difficult to do the same with other Provinces?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I don't really care which day it is on - but we don't have a lot of family outside of BC.

Our family doesn't ski (as QK said, too expensive) but we all had the day off and spent it together. It was nice. Some people might look askance at how we spent it, in the same room doing different things, but who cares? Not I . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I like it in it's present state,

The People Of B.C. can get out and enjoy B.C. without being over-run with crowds.

The crowds will come, soon enough.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

February holiday GOOD...........Family Day name BAD........especially coming from THIS B.C. Liberal party. It seems everything they brag about doing for US, in reality is lining their own pockets through business "paying" to capitalize themselves..........and most certainly above our sow premiers claim of "Families First".

Move the holiday to correspond with the other provinces! The financial business (not your bank branch's) in B.C. WERE open in B.C. because the stock market was open in Toronto (and the rest of the world).

ABSOLUTELY BRAIN DEAD PEOPLE RUNNING THE B.C. LIBERALS!

...........and no, this is not about voting NDP in B.C.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It is too bad the provinces can't get together about holidays. Seven provinces celebrate a day off in February (BC finally came on board) with 6 having the holiday on the 3rd Monday in the month. Three celebrate it for different reasons. Remembrance Day is not a holiday in all provinces and neither is Boxing Day. Gets a little tiresome when one is dealing with other provinces for work.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It's a pain in the *bleep* if you do business across the country. Have to work BC Family Day because contacts, colleagues, and customers in other provinces are all working and then have to work on their holiday because it isn't a holiday for local contacts, colleagues, and customers.

We just end up taking a day in lieu some other time, but it kind of sucks not being able to share it with friends and family while they're all out doing fun things and traveling over the Family Day long weekend. It's not a huge deal, but it's a pain.

Return to “B.C.”