Let's change the name from Family Day to........

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Let's change the name from Family Day to........

Post by bob vernon »

Let's change the name from Family Day to Ski Resort Day. The reason that BC has Family Day the week before Alberta has their Family Day is because the ski resorts lobbied Christy to have ours on a different weekend. That way, the ski resorts could fill up with BC residents one weekend and then be open for Albertans the next weekend. It's about money. And like everything with Christy, it's for sale.

So if you have family in Alberta who want to come home for the Family Day weekend, or a hockey team wants to play in a tournament in the neighbouring province...... make sure which weekend you're talking about. It's not all about families, Christy, it's all about ski resorts making money.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: Let's change the name from Family Day to........

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hmmm . . .

First of all, there was NO Family Day before Clark decided that we should have one. Was that a terrible mistake? She gets little if any credit for it. Also, her government consulted the public before deciding when Family Day should be celebrated. From Wikipedia:

In 2012, a two-week consultation process was held in order to determine if British Columbians preferred the holiday to fall on the second or third Monday in February.[13] On May 28, 2012, it was announced that Family Day would be observed on the second Monday in February each year, starting February 11, 2013.[14]

It may be that a lot of skiers and ski resort owners let there feelings be known but EVERYONE had the opportunity to do so and the majority wanted Family Day on the second Monday of February. Personally I don't care whether it's on the second Monday or the third because there are good reasons to support each option. People did have a say though and the government went with the majority.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Interesting that CWSAA only donated $7100.00 to the BC Liberals. I thought they were usually a bit more expensive. Big White , Silver Star , and Panorama have also made political donations in the amount of $70,360.00 to ........ you guessed it , the Liberal Party of BC.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

LOL. More:

Record numbers of British Columbians participated in online discussions by sharing their thoughts and registering their preference. The web poll component of the Family Day website gathered a total of 31,146 selections, along with 3,069 comments, with the choice of the second Monday registering a total of 18,202 selections, 9,436 selections for the third Monday, and 3,508 selections of no preference.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/premier- ... family-day
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote:

In 2012, a two-week consultation process was held in order to determine if British Columbians preferred the holiday to fall on the second or third Monday in February.[13] On May 28, 2012, it was announced that Family Day would be observed on the second Monday in February each year, starting February 11, 2013.[14]

It may be that a lot of skiers and ski resort owners let there feelings be known but EVERYONE had the opportunity to do so and the majority wanted Family Day on the second Monday of February. Personally I don't care whether it's on the second Monday or the third because there are good reasons to support each option. People did have a say though and the government went with the majority.

I don't care which weekend it is on either , but I do care if a special interest group influenced the decision. CWSAA wanted it on the the second weekend , and donated money to Christy.

Edited out the part where I said Urbane had no proof the majority wanted is on 2nd weekend because he did in fact supply numbers to back that statement up.
Last edited by gordon_as on Feb 14th, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I look at this way, prior to family day there was no stat holiday in February.... complainers will always finds thing to bitc :cuss: about.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

gordon_as wrote:
    I don't care which weekend it is on either , but I do care if a special interest group bought the decision. To say that the government went with the majority is just your partisan hypothisis. No proof whatsoever that the public wanted it on the second weekend. Undeniable proof that the CWSAA wanted it on the the second weekend , and donated money to Christy.
I posted the results of the survey. Did you not see them? Everyone had the opportunity to express their opinions and twice as many people preferred the second Monday over the third Monday. I'm not providing an hypothesis. I'm providing the facts. You can have your own alternative facts if you like of course. [icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Why Ski Resort Day?

Not everyone goes to ski at resorts.
Not everyone can afford to ski.

It's expensive.

Why not keep it at Family Day instead of stigmatizing kids who have parents who can't afford ski resorts?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote:I posted the results of the survey. Did you not see them?

In fact I did , and I went back and edited my post , and gave credit to you for supplying back up. All done before you posted this.
I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

I am sure you have no problem admitting that the CWSAA did indeed lobby the provincial government to choose a particular date , which they did. You also must not have a problem admitting that the CWSAA , and the resorts they represent donate substantial $$ to the BC Liberals.

^^ facts , not alternative facts
Last edited by gordon_as on Feb 14th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

So some people like to ski on family day? Is that wrong?

MOST (a in probably 95%+) of families just enjoyed a day together.

How someone can possibly find negative in that is beyond my comprehension :topic:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

gordon_as wrote:
    In fact I did , and I went back and edited my post , and gave credit to you for supplying back up. All done before you posted this.
    I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

I am sure you have no problem admitting that the CWSAA did indeed lobby the provincial government to choose a particular date , which they did. You also must not have a problem admitting that the CWSAA , and the resorts they represent donate substantial $$ to the BC Liberals.

^^ facts , not alternative facts

Of course the CWSAA lobbied the government for the second Monday in February as did a lot of skiers. But everyone had the opportunity to provide input. Those who didn't shouldn't complain about the government's decision.

As for the corporate and union donations, I'd like to see them eliminated. The Liberals' refusal to do so would be a good reason to vote against them and I hope to find an independent in my riding for whom to vote. However, as much as I'm opposed to union and corporate donations I am in favour of Site C and the Kinder Morgan expansion so I wouldn't do anything to help elect the NDP. By the way, establishing Family Day is a positive and not a negative so good on Christy Clark for doing so.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Can't argue with that.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

We went to the log booms on Westside road yesterday and there was a family enjoying the day by standing on the ice testing thickness with rocks. So with this family in mind, I say we call it thinning the herd day. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I can see why some want to change the date to the third Monday as BC is different from the other provinces with a stat in February. Don't see it happening though.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “B.C.”