Eat your veggies

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Eat your veggies

Post by Fancy »

I grew up with gardens and can't imagine not having something to eat out of at least a potted tomato. Did a lot of canning and freezing and it's so easy to do that. There's a lot of fresh veggie markets around to take advantage of for those that can't grow their own and I've seen community gardens take root. Too bad there aren't more of those.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Great post NolaM and a topic near and dear to my heart Truth thanks for starting the thread.

Sadly for a lot society has moved away from whole natural foods.

Parents are busy and look to quick alternatives with their busy schedules.

There are few continuous Food education opportunities for kids at our schools.

I will take my hat off to the Okanagan Chefs Association and their Young Chefs initiatives but there is a need for more.

Most kids have no idea where their food comes from other than a grocery store.

What really surprises me is how many adults lack the most basic of food preparation skills.

Despite the culinary 'revolution' going on right now there seems to be a lack in what many families have available and

know how prepare nutritionally and to bring out the best in flavour.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

NolaM wrote:IMO ...
The funds would be better spent making and placing grow boxes and plants in communities.
Teaching plant growing and care, canning classes and food prep.
This is no more than baseless nagging. Like telling a kid... Wash your face..
Without showing him where the water, soap and towel are.

This post is commendable but way too idealistic.

These folks do a lot with the resources they have. You're thinking very locally which is a great thought, but the "Half Your Plate" program is national and is centered on building fresh produce consumption across the country. They don't have the resources to be able to build local programs throughout the country like what you're proposing.

They plan and act on a much bigger, broader scale and with limited people and resources could never do what you're proposing.

Edit: I know the article suggests this program was created with a provincial grant to get BC citizens eating more fruits and veggies, but it's actually a national program. It's not clear, so I understand where the confusion may be coming from.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Queen K wrote:I know this is a tired old line, but I say, "if you can, grow your own."

Very little is needed for two tomato plants, some lettuce and say, throw in spinach or other greens.

Two large pots with good soil, a tomato each. Make it two varities of cherry tomatoes. Or one cherry and one slicing tomato.
One large pot for lettuce.
One large pot for spinach seeds.

Got to the free ads for the pots or buckets if need be.

Make a start anyways.

Sure, buying vegetables is terribly expensive. But I know what Thinktank would say, and I have to agree, it's cheaper than healthcare.

You won't be able to support yourself for the year
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Graphite, agreed, but all I'm suggesting is that some people forget that it takes baby steps towards a little self-empowerment.

Had I suggested much much more, would you then say, "it takes time to build up to it."

Few would want to jump into what I have set up here, but a few potted tomatoes and greens is much less threatening. :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Putting tomato seedlings in the greenhouse this weekend...life is good.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “B.C.”