BC Paramedics petition

mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC Paramedics petition

Post by mr.bandaid »

dle wrote:First off, I don't think the ambulance/paramedic service should ever be on strike, or unavailable in any way. In that regard this should never have had to go to a Petition in the first place - it shouldn't even be in question.

However, it did have to go to Petition and I've just read that their Petition failed. The very nature of a Petition is to get as many signatures as possible. These types of Petitions, to change something in government, require even more diligence in that they require a certain percentage of the population to sign them in order to even get their request off the ground.

When the article first came onto Castanet, there was a link to the paramedics/ambulance service giving information with a phone number that you could call if you wanted to sign the Petition and rather than going to find the signing station, their volunteers would bring the Petition to you.

I called that number as everyone in our office wanted to sign it - I spoke to someone who took my name and office address info. I also live in a huge condo complex and a lot of the people I spoke to also wanted to sign it. Some don't have transport and are a little older and really wanted someone to bring them the Petition to sign. No one ever showed up with the Petition. No one ever called to set up a time to come by with the Petition. We just assumed that there were so many people in their corner that they reached their signature goal and didn't need any more signatures.

This is like being ahead one goal in the hockey game and slacking off off because you think you have it in the bag - it ain't over til the buzzer goes and the wheels can come off at any time before that.
n
It's a shame that they weren't a little more organized because I think they would have reached their signature goal hands down.

Been on strike but never unavailable. As a matter of fact they are more available due to being immediately deemed essential and unrealistic minimal coverage which often exceeds pre strike coverage numbers. So essential when it pleases the Liberals otherwise not so much.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

In my opinion it's a no brainer...BC Paramedics ARE an essential service.

I don't know what my family and neighbours would have done, and or do, without them.

They are responsible for saving the life of one of my loved ones and have been there to help us and our commnity on

many occasions. I don't care if its about money - I see how they work first hand and they should

be properly and adequately compensated.

One only needs to visit KGH on a busy day where stretchers are in the hallways and the Paramedics

are the only ones there to administer care until the hospital staff can 'take the patient over'.

This sometimes results in HOURS of on going Paramedic care and attention!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Barney Google wrote:In my opinion it's a no brainer...BC Paramedics ARE an essential service.

I don't know what my family and neighbours would have done, and or do, without them.

They are responsible for saving the life of one of my loved ones and have been there to help us and our commnity on

many occasions. I don't care if its about money - I see how they work first hand and they should

be properly and adequately compensated.

One only needs to visit KGH on a busy day where stretchers are in the hallways and the Paramedics

are the only ones there to administer care until the hospital staff can 'take the patient over'.

This sometimes results in HOURS of on going Paramedic care and attention!!!

Here here! Excellent post. People that bash paramedics are ridiculous. They are important and should be paid appropriately. Trust me when you need them the LEAST on your mind will be their paychecks.

Return to “B.C.”