Skiers/Snowboarders going out of bounds...

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Out of Bounds!

Post by Queen K »

So yet more people went out of bounds. Now people have to risk their lives looking for them. At great expense.

Who pays for this :cuss:
And every year.
Every year we have the barriers, the signage and those who don't understand that out of bounds has a meaning.
There's an old mouldy thread on this topic somewhere, I just wanted another one.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#189416

Seven went out of bounds. Shame on them and all those who are going to do it anywhere else in this Province.
I have a friend who worked for Search and Rescue, why should they be risking it all for punks and pukes?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
forum
Guru

Re: Out of Bounds!

Post by forum »

I say, let them go. And go. And go...and go...
Chyren
Board Meister

Skiers/Snowboarders going out of bounds...

Post by Chyren »

My thoughts:

Once again we have the issue with people ignoring the boundaries of a resort resulting in the highly expensive job of retrieving them.

We in BC are forced to pay the costs while people that go out of bounds create the issue.

Is it time for resorts to raise lift ticket fees with a "out of bounds" tax to offset these costs?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Skiers/Snowboarders going out of bounds...

Post by LTD »

why should everyone who buys a lift ticket pay for the actions of a few idiots charge the offenders $5000 per head print it right on the lift ticket in big red letters
spooker

Post by spooker »

The funding comes from the province and fundraising efforts. Just like many indirect efforts, we pay for it.

As for people being idiots. That's going to happen. And society is going to take care of it.

MSP is another way that society takes care of its citizens. People don't live perfectly healthy lives so the province takes care of them. ICBC is around to take care of our foolish behaviour on the road.

Snowboarders going out of bounds to get that thrill is nothing new, and we see it in the media, thanlkfully not too often. Search and Rescue personnel choose to do what they do and I applaud them for showing that all people, no matter the current bad choices, do have worth.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Tack the extra costs on to the ski lift tickets. Or have skiers take out "Out of bound insurance". If they don't have it, don't rescue them, or slap them with the bill after the fact.
If I need an ambulance to take me to hospital, I have to pay for it. Why not rescue, at least for part of the costs.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Make no miskate, I'm happy that they were found.

But look at the times in the morning, past midnight, 3 am. Someone had to be out there doing all this on their punk behalfs.
I hope they learn from this and some day join search and rescue themselves.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Rescuers also used infrared-equipped drones to lead them to the last four people because none was believed to be carrying cellphones or other electronics.

Sounds like they were itching to get a Darwin award.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sounds like mom and dad didn't vet them properly. Ask the right questions. Just "have a good time."

Parents, in the know ones anyways, would be like, "beacons! Everyone got their beacons?" What a small price to pay for safety. And no cell phones? That is incredible. A woman fell off a log, landed in a creek and the ping off her cell phone saved her life.
In this day and age.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I'd imagine that a great many...not all, but many search and rescue calls are due to someone screwing up. When these silly cases happen it's always commenters, but never the search and rescue folks themselves, calling for those rescued to have to pay. Search and Rescue organizations are in the business of saving lives, not collecting bills.

And Queen K, why this talk of parents? Unless I missed it, there's nothing in the article indicating the age of the people rescued. If they were as young as you seem to believe, it's hard to imagine them not having their fones with them.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay I read ages into it assuming maturity age wise trumps not going out of bounds.

But going out of bounds is not a "screw up", it's a decision. An arrogant one at that. "I know better, I want what I want."

And by "pay" I don't necessarily mean just money. I mean community service work if nothing else. But not get off free, as in don't have to think about it anymore. Make people who go out of bounds pay somehow, cash isn't everything.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

LTD wrote:why should everyone who buys a lift ticket pay for the actions of a few idiots charge the offenders $5000 per head print it right on the lift ticket in big red letters

AGREED when buying a ticket you are also agreeing to pay any and all search and rescue fees caused by your own stupidity and neglect;
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

The very first thing to do is ban them from that ski hill, period. Next, go after them for costs incurred, right down to loss of time/wages for those SAR folks who took time off work (and might lose pay) to rescue these boneheads.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Queen K wrote:Seven went out of bounds. Shame on them and all those who are going to do it anywhere else in this Province.
I have a friend who worked for Search and Rescue, why should they be risking it all for punks and pukes?

While it's good enough that they have a free rescue, I think a one year ban from using the area should be in order for sure, so they learn from their poor choice of judgement.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I must say, a Kamloops facebook group is crediting a company for using their drones to find the boarders.
I always said drone use will be a good skill to have in the future and for all kinds of applications, here is a quote right off a Kamloops group's page:

"All subjects have been located safe and all searchers are home after an epic night. Great work by the whole team and SAR management by Cassidy Simpson. Extra credit to the guys at Hummingbird Drones who drove 3 hours Tobe part of the search."

Return to “B.C.”