Even BC Lib lobbyists sick of 'Wild West" of fundraising

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Even BC Lib lobbyists sick of 'Wild West" of fundraising

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^Personal attack? If you saw any 'personal attack' you should report it... Who made a 'personal attack' on another poster, Urb?
I wasn't aware that the AG, the conflict commissioner, or the speaker were posting here but if they are you shouldn't be trying to reveal their identities.
:topic:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And as a BTW Urbane, have you actually watched the recent broadcasts of the Leg sessions? Answer truthfully now.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:And as a BTW Urbane, have you actually watched the recent broadcasts of the Leg sessions? Answer truthfully now.
I always answer truthfully. No. If you post a link to a video clip I'll have a look.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

https://www.leg.bc.ca/documents-data/br ... d-webcasts

This also shows the rebroadcasts from the day's business.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ "Error loading player: No playable sources found" pops up. I have a Mac so perhaps that's the issue? I'd really like to see it. ETA: Never mind, it's working now. I'm starting to watch it.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Urbane wrote:^^ "Error loading player: No playable sources found" pops up. I have a Mac so perhaps that's the issue? I'd really like to see it. ETA: Never mind, it's working now. I'm starting to watch it.

not a mac issue.

taken down issue?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Veovis wrote:not a mac issue.

taken down issue?

It ended up working but it wasn't a clip. It was the whole session I guess and after about twenty minutes I packed it in. Boring! Nothing at all about what flaming was talking about but if she can provide a clip I'd like to see it. Spending an entire evening waiting around for it would be like watching paint dry so no thanks!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 15th, 2017, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote:^^ Sometimes government ministers, here, there, and everywhere, don't exactly answer the questions and sometimes the opposition questions aren't exactly on topic. Whether or not the speaker's ruling was too strict, ruling that the topic was narrower than the opposition saw it, is the sort of controversy that arises in parliamentary democracies from time to time. I am getting a bit tired of hearing that the speaker, the auditor-general, and the conflict commissioner are somehow all corrupt and taking orders from Christy Clark. Time to get back to the issues, like the subject of this thread, and back off from the personal attacks.

They are though , and you are going to keep hearing about it. Convince your party to come clean , or suck it up.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 15th, 2017, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

But we already knew this:

B.C. Liberals' reason for not changing election laws 'astonishing', lawyer says
B.C. Liberals claim passing bill on campaign finance reform now would lead to constititional challenges
By Roshini Nair, CBC News Posted: Mar 15, 2017 9:18 AM PT Last Updated: Mar 15, 2017 9:45 AM PT

B.C.'s campaign finance structure — which is one of the most lightly regulated in Canada — has come under significant scrutiny in recent months.
B.C.'s campaign finance structure — which is one of the most lightly regulated in Canada — has come under significant scrutiny in recent months. (iStock)

A legal expert is dismissing claims made by the B.C. Liberals to justify having an independent commission study campaign financing reforms instead of passing a private members bill before the May 9 provincial election.

Yesterday on CBC's The Early Edition, B.C. MLA Andrew Wilkinson said the party could not pass any one of the multiple private members bills on political donations currently before the B.C. Legislature because they were not legally "robust" enough.

"[Private members bills] are crude instruments that are legislative in nature and to pass those would invite Charter challenges under Section 2 freedom of association and freedom of expression," he said.

B.C.'s current campaign finance structure allows unlimited financial donations from corporations, unions and individuals whether they are residents of B.C. or not. It has come under significant scrutiny in recent months, especially after allegations of corporations making undeclared donations through lobbyists to the B.C. Liberals prompted an RCMP investigation.

"It's never been argued before. It's quite an astonishing proposition."

He said contrary to the B.C. Liberals claims that funding political parties would fall to the taxpayer if the ban was introduced, he said political parties were more than resilient enough to find better ways to fundraise.

The real focus, he said, should be on an individual's right to participate in democracy.

"What's important is we have integrity, fairness and a level playing field in our elections ... The impact on democracy should be central."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 36?cmp=rss

And a 'level playng field' is certainly NOT what the ChristyLiberals want!!
Chill
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Think for a minute, who in their right mind would give the ndp goobs of money. That is why they want changes not to help the elctorat but themselves. Get rid of all donations and let the parties do their own money rasing like charitie do, no money from govt.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Now REALLY! How is this even possible???

Dead KPMG executive listed as $150K donor to BC Liberals
Bob Mackin

The Vancouver office of KPMG is back in the news.

The recent CBC Fifth Estate documentary, “The Untouchables,” described KPMG’s 1999-hatched Isle of Man tax-avoidance scheme.

Now KPMG comes under the microscope of theBreaker for large donations made to the BC Liberal Party. Specifically, the $150,203 listed in the Elections B.C. database from 2005 to 2010.

The donations ranged from a single contribution of $65 on April 8, 2005 to four for $20,000 (Dec. 31, 2007; Oct. 29, 2008; Dec. 10, 2009; and Dec. 28, 2010). David McShane and Eric Watt were named as KPMG’s principal officers in the Elections B.C. political donations database.

Who are they?

Watt was Premier Christy Clark’s financial agent for her 2011 leadership campaign. He retired from the firm as a senior partner in 2012. In 2014, he was named to the Knowledge Network board via cabinet order.

McShane was the managing partner of the Vancouver office, but never was involved in making any of the 24 separate donations spanning five years. He died of cancer on July 17, 2004 at age 49.

How did the name of a deceased accounting executive end up in the B.C. Liberal Party’s disclosures to Elections B.C. for so many years after his death?

See the rest here:

http://thebreaker.news/miscellany/dead- ... -liberals/
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

alfred2 wrote:Think for a minute, who in their right mind would give the ndp goobs of money..

Government unions. That's who. Because if the NDP wins, they end up negotiating with themselves, just like in 1998 when that idiot Glenn Clark and that even bigger idiot Adrian Dix handed control of class size and composition to their puppet-masters, the disgusting BCTF.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yes well if you want to funnel chinese mob money into a campaign no better way than through a dead guy . :smt045

Return to “B.C.”