Why we need more independents - like Vicki Huntington

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Why we need more independents - like Vicki Huntington

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    On top of that our accumulated debt is lower than just about everywhere

With current debt at $70 billion and $101 billion in contractual obligations/BC Hydro deferral accounts?
Wrong. The future contractual obligations are not debt. That's been hashed over thoroughly in another thread. As for voting for independents, it really depends on who they are and what the circumstances are in a particular riding. I would definitely vote for an independent if he or she were a good candidate but I wouldn't vote for an independent if I lived in a riding where voting for an independent risked electing the NDP.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The future contractual obligations are not debt.

Neither is your Hydro bill, your TV cable bill, your rent, (unless you have a lease), your car payments, insurance (car/home) etc; however, if you want heat, light, TV, cell phone, a place to live, ALL that is going to have to be paid every month. With leases and contracts (ie. cell phone 2- or 3- year contracts) you have to PAY to get out of them. Same with BC gov contractual obligations - they have to be paid at some time or another, but by putting them off into deferral accounts, they are just kicking the can down the road.
Chill
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

I would vote for an independant! So tired of same old!!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Neither is your Hydro bill, your TV cable bill, your rent, (unless you have a lease), your car payments, insurance (car/home) etc; however, if you want heat, light, TV, cell phone, a place to live, ALL that is going to have to be paid every month. With leases and contracts (ie. cell phone 2- or 3- year contracts) you have to PAY to get out of them. Same with BC gov contractual obligations - they have to be paid at some time or another, but by putting them off into deferral accounts, they are just kicking the can down the road.

Yes, the government will be paying for things in the future and as was pointed out to you in the appropriate thread the AG has made it clear that future contractual obligations are not debt. How about back on topic now??
:topic:
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Yes, the government will be paying for things in the future and as was pointed out to you in the appropriate thread the AG has made it clear that future contractual obligations are not debt. How about back on topic now??
:topic:

Yes it must be true if the Lieberal AG said so. LOL Independents are the way to go.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

madmudder wrote:
    Yes it must be true if the Lieberal AG said so. LOL Independents are the way to go.
The system is rigged, eh? Somewhere else I've heard that lately. :D
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Deean wrote:I would vote for an independant! So tired of same old!!

I'd consider it, but not if the independent had morals like Vicki Huntington displayed recently.

I want an MLA who doesn't stoop to playing politics. (Good luck with that, I know.) Our MLA has never impressed me, but he absolutely disgusted me with the political game-playing around school closures.

Does that mean I'm willing to risk electing an NDP government? No. Disgusted as I am with Ashton, I'm not prepared to help elect a government with no platform. (Oh, I forgot: they released it. It's short. "No. No. No. No. No. But we'll fund everything.")

Our local NDP candidate hasn't inspired any confidence, but I'd consider voting for him instead of Ashton if he was backed by a party platform I could get behind. But he isn't.

So unless the independent was truly outstanding, and likely to beat out the NDP candidate, it looks like I'm stuck with voting for someone I don't trust at all simply because there's a reasonable platform behind him.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”