Suing creep catchers

Chyren
Board Meister

Re: Suing creep catchers

Post by Chyren »

Fancy you clearly did not get the point of my post.

I'm not saying if you're PRO LAW you're PRO PEDOPHILE. I'm saying that people are being called that on this thread.

I'm commenting that people seem to be hypocritical of police using the same boards online to track down these monsters and those same people call it "entrapment."

The overall message of my post is that we as grown ups need to teach our kids that the online world can be dangerous and to educate them and watch what they're doing online.

That way we don't have to continue to have these very conversations.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/19 ... for-luring

Another winner to add to the list.

Does anyone get that this has a lot less to do with actually saving anyone and a lot more to see how many youtube hits they can get?

I think it should be soon, but it won't be where those types of videos are instant removed from posting sites as too many are commuting their own infractions of law.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197420
RCMP say two men associated with a vigilante group in Surrey, B.C., have been charged with assault.

Police say Ryan LaForge is charged with one count of assault and one count of uttering threats related to an alleged incident on April 3.

LaForge, who is the president of the Surrey Creep Catchers, posted a Facebook Live video saying he had been arrested after conducting a "citizen's arrest" of a target.

The group targets people they allege are child sexual predators by posing as minors online, arranging to meet their targets and filming the encounters, which are then posted on the Internet.

The RCMP say the 34-year-old LaForge is also facing a separate assault charge in an alleged incident on April 19.

In a news release, police say there was a confrontation between a man alleged to have been involved in child luring and three men believed to be involved with the vigilante group.

Police say a second member of the group, 37-year-old Lance Loy, has also been charged with assault stemming from the alleged incident on April 19.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

How many times have Creep Catchers messed up and confronted the wrong guy? We hear of it happening from time to time. Imagine if you are confronted with some raging Creep Catchers and you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, I know, they "usually" get the right offender. But the second they lay their hands on an innocent person, or even obstruct him, they're in trouble. Creep Catchers would be further ahead to spend their time compiling the evidence and giving it to the police instead of acting like vigilantes.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

But then they wouldn't get their internet fame. I agree - if they really wanted to help they'd tell the police, not facebook. The whole creep catchers thing comes across more as a group wanting to pat themselves on the back than anything else.

Its only gonna take one instance of someone being falsely outted online who decides to sue the pants off this group and that'll be the end of it. Sad thing is most of these folks don't have much to lose so they're not really worried about those consequences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You know yer a Redneck when...

You belong to Creep Catchers!

sign.jpg
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I would support the Creep Catchers model much more, if their actions were executed in a professional manner.

Chris Hanson from Dateline does this same sort of thing, but in a manner that isn't so irresponsible nor so redneck.
That said, until someone introduces a better model, or until the Creep Catchers chink their seams this is all we have to catch these people. The RCMP isn't setting up to catch these perp's.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Exactly how do you know if the RCMP is setting up to catch these types of people? That's a pretty bold general statement. I'd love to see the proof you have. Wow.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ncecc-cncee/i ... il-eng.htm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ncecc-cncee/a ... et-eng.htm

A simple google search will prove your comment wrong.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Chyren wrote:Exactly how do you know if the RCMP is setting up to catch these types of people? That's a pretty bold general statement. I'd love to see the proof you have. Wow.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ncecc-cncee/i ... il-eng.htm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ncecc-cncee/a ... et-eng.htm

A simple google search will prove your comment wrong.

You post links to the RCMP website, and expect me to consider that as proof of them doing what creep catchers has done?
I've heard of MANY potential pedophiles getting nabbed by Creep Catchers. Far, far more than I hear of caught by the RCMP.
Is your experience different in this regard, or are you just another "obedient citizen" with his size 8's hanging out the bung of a barrel in yellow striped slacks?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Graham Adder wrote:You post links to the RCMP website, and expect me to consider that as proof of them doing what creep catchers has done?
I've heard of MANY potential pedophiles getting nabbed by Creep Catchers. Far, far more than I hear of caught by the RCMP.
Is your experience different in this regard, or are you just another "obedient citizen" with his size 8's hanging out the bung of a barrel in yellow striped slacks?

The RCMP doesn't post clickbait videos on Facebook or Youtube for "likes" and monetization. They perform their job in a manner to build a case for convication. If you want to see the fruits of their labour, you'll have to go read actual court cases on Canlii. It's not as exciting as a vigilante video on youtube - but grown-ups don't act like vigilante thugs.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “B.C.”