Suing creep catchers

Veovis
Guru

Re: Suing creep catchers

Post by Veovis »

Jflem1983 wrote:I have precious lil sympathy for creeps
I had a grade five teacher Mr Duncan . He loved the young girls . Had a desk full of hand lotion and fuzzy peaches candy . Wish creep catchers was around then

Met lots of ick people (had a couple of those teachers as well)

None committed any crimes though, yet as you show, distaste of a person is enough to ruin their life just for self satisfaction......it's why lawsuits will destroy a number of the people doing this as well.....distaste isn't illegal, but people are happy to make someone out as such because they didn't like them.

In these situations police are the best final route period.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Meh - the married guy was trying to hook up with a 15 year old and there's other issues with him that are disturbing that I wish I didn't read.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

If Creep Catchers had any money, you'd think they'd hire a half decent webmaster. I doubt they have a lawyer on retainer, and I imagine they lose this lawsuit, they've got nothing so they won't be paying. It's not like suing a doctor or a proper business, where you're really suing their insurance company.

Creep Catcher operates with no oversight and no accountability, and that is worrisome. They have tremendous potential to do harm, and if they ever get it wrong, well..."Oops, sorry" is going to have to suffice.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

JayByrd wrote:If Creep Catchers had any money, you'd think they'd hire a half decent webmaster. I doubt they have a lawyer on retainer, and I imagine they lose this lawsuit, they've got nothing so they won't be paying. It's not like suing a doctor or a proper business, where you're really suing their insurance company.

Creep Catcher operates with no oversight and no accountability, and that is worrisome. They have tremendous potential to do harm, and if they ever get it wrong, well..."Oops, sorry" is going to have to suffice.

Folks are being sued personally, good bye house, bank account, children's college fund, and Rrsps if they lose, which they might.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:Meh - the married guy was trying to hook up with a 15 year old and there's other issues with him that are disturbing that I wish I didn't read.

Got to wonder how this hooking up with another woman (under age this time) went over with his current wife.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Mr_Mrs_Wolf
Fledgling

Post by Mr_Mrs_Wolf »

Vigilante justice is wrong even when it may feel right. Many of us have felt a sense of moral righteousness when some fictional character, confronted with a society unwilling to do the right thing, takes matter into his or her own hands. Blood flows, the wrongs have been righted, the bad people have been punished. However, these loosely organized groups or individuals are not who wields the sword of justice. It is our legal system, flaws and all, that are judge,jury and executioner. They are essentially criminals breaking the law, as with the Creep Catchers, they use entrapment to create and catch a criminal. Vigilantes operate outside the law and cannot be legally justified, even when it may appear to be a right verses a wrong but in the end it's still two wrongs.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

GordonH wrote:
Got to wonder how this hooking up with another woman (under age this time) went over with his current wife.

The article says she was forced to sell her tutoring franchise over the accusations.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Got to wonder how this hooking up with another woman (under age this time) went over with his current wife.

Hassel99 wrote:The article says she was forced to sell her tutoring franchise over the accusations.

I know that..... I was talking about between cheating husband and the wife.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Hassel99 wrote:Folks are being sued personally, good bye house, bank account, children's college fund, and Rrsps if they lose, which they might.

But I'm talking about folks who seem to have most of their money tied up in tattoos. Unless you've got a lot of expensive stuff (and I have no idea what Creep Catcher types do for a living but I doubt they are wealthy), assets like homes and cars typically aren't seized in a personal lawsuit judgment. And if the judgment was such that they could never realistically pay, they'd simply declare bankruptcy.

Anyways, my point is, the guy suing them is not going to recoup his losses.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JayByrd wrote:
But I'm talking about folks who seem to have most of their money tied up in tattoos. Unless you've got a lot of expensive stuff (and I have no idea what Creep Catcher types do for a living but I doubt they are wealthy), assets like homes and cars typically aren't seized in a personal lawsuit judgment. And if the judgment was such that they could never realistically pay, they'd simply declare bankruptcy.

Anyways, my point is, the guy suing them is not going to recoup his losses.

I suppose it would depend on the judgement and ruling. If it is determined that irreparable harm in term of employment etc has been made then the lifetime earnings would be calculated and made payable. However it would likely be applied to any member of the group so any 1 person likely doesn't lose a house, but all may have new lines of credit or a lifetime garnishment to pay for the result.

When being a vigilante, you better be perfect because even a little wrong could have major ramifications.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

2nd lawsuit launched

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4029647

Who could have predicted vigilantism would not work out?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

To Catch a Predator was Dateline NBC version of Creep catchers, of course only difference NBC had police waiting in the wings after the host confronted the Adult.
It ran for 3+ years, was canceled due to Texas DA committed suicide after being caught on tape.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'll follow with interest the latest story to hit the media:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-191997-2-.htm#191997

This one has a different twist to it, the alleged victim, a social media professional who had openly criticized the actions of Surrey Creep Catchers was himself made a target by the organization in what appears to be a purely revenge motivated slur campaign. It certainly sounds like SCC has let their estimation of their own social clout lead to some bad choices on their part.

There isn't anything much worse that you can hang on someone these days than a reputation of child predator. Anyone seeking to apply this label to someone should make damn sure they have their moral and factual ducks in a row, and anyone who does so frivolously should be prepared to reap the consequences of their actions.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Another lawsuit they're going to loose if the information in the article is correct.

It also helps to show just how unprofessional these chapters are. Really make it look like they're mostly a bunch of meat-heads looking for a conflict/fight. I worry that their aggression and desire for conflict is motivating them more than their advertised goal of protecting the vulnerable.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

TylerM4 wrote:Another lawsuit they're going to loose if the information in the article is correct.

It also helps to show just how unprofessional these chapters are. Really make it look like they're mostly a bunch of meat-heads looking for a conflict/fight. I worry that their aggression and desire for conflict is motivating them more than their advertised goal of protecting the vulnerable.

Creep Catchers is extremely disturbing. It's hard to believe that people are skeptical of the police (sometimes rightly so) - who have strict regulations, procedures, accountability (at least in theory), and training - blindly believe in people from the internet they have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever. People who very clearly are extremely emotional, aggressive, and often showing questionable judgment. Creep Catchers caters to the lowest denominator of histrionic followers, who have no regard for law, ethics, due process - the complexities of the real-world. Note how some supporters even in this thread jump immediately to the tactic of accusing anyone remotely critical of CC of being pedophiles themselves - ugly stuff.

I spent a night watching videos from various cities - part of me of course wants to really like them....and came away disturbed deeply.

As to funding, I saw some speculation based on photos (may have been the gangsters out blog.... not sure) that some have connections to biker gangs, so money and therefore influence may also come out of there. Reminding us that the spectre of weaponinzing these tactics - as alleged happened in that other lawsuit - would be very easy. That is even worse than the potential false accusations, allowance of real pedophiles to escape their crimes, and abuse of power issues which are already troubling, as it would be malicious.

Return to “B.C.”