Clark/BC Libs cost taxpayers 40 million

Jonrox

Re: Clark/BC Libs cost taxpayers 40 million

Post by Jonrox »

Maybe if someone could start by giving examples of provinces that thrived under NDP leadership, it would help.

I'm not convinced there's corruption within the Liberal party, but even if there is, I'm willing to accept it if the only alternative is the NDP. A corrupt Liberal party is infinitely better than the NDP.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Glen Clark/BC NDP cost taxpayers 40 million

Post by Rwede »

Here's the hilarious part of that complete #fakenews story:

But independent economist Robyn Allan, who has analyzed figures used by Imperial Metals, said in an interview that, despite those assurances by Environment Minister Mary Polak, taxpayers are picking up almost $40 million of the clean up tab, amounting to more than half of the response cost.

That figure is made up of $23.6 million in tax refunds for Imperial Metals and $15.5 million in direct costs incurred by government departments over the past two-and-a-half years, said Allan, former president of ICBC.

So, in a leftist's mind, when a company incurs expenses and ends up getting income tax refunds because they lost money, the income tax refund is costing the taxpayers for cleanup.

What a complete pile of BS.

Oh yeah, the failed mine design was approved by the BC NDP, not the BC Libs, so I've corrected the thread title.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:
If the NDP would oust it's more radical environmental element, they'd definitely get my vote.

I agree..

Merry wrote:. But until that happens, I'll probably vote Liberal.

There's no way I could ever vote liberal as long as that corrupt, conniving Christy Clark with that silly smug smirk on her face is the party leader...
I'll rather vote Independent, or not vote at all before I'd knowingly vote Liberal led by a corrupt self serving leader who doesn't have any morals.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote: I'll rather vote Independent, or not vote at all before I'd knowingly vote Liberal led by a corrupt self serving leader who doesn't have any morals.

I know a lot of people share your same view, however, not voting BC Liberal entails a serious danger of inflicting another NDP reign of terror on this province. Until the NDP is disbanded, I don't see another alternative gaining any ground in this province. It's like people aren't willing to make a change until the NDP monster is finally vanquished.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 30th, 2017, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic/baiting
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

The Green Barbarian wrote: another NDP reign of terror on this province. .

YOUR OPINION , certainly not shared by the majority of voters.
How would giving the BC Liberals a mandate to continue their reign of terror and corruption fix anything ?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 30th, 2017, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

OK. Let's say I concede that the Liberal government is corrupt. They'd still be a better option than the NDP and I'd still vote for them.

Again, if somebody could just post a list of provinces that flourished under an NDP government, it could be a starting point in swaying some of us to their side.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

gordon_as wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote: another NDP reign of terror on this province. .

How would giving the BC Liberals a mandate to continue their reign of terror and corruption fix anything ?

Given the number of elections the NDP has lost, I have to conclude you use the term "majority" somewhat loosely.

The thing that most average folk care about, the economy, doesn't really require any "fixing", unless the NDP get into power, then we can sure revisit that topic.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:

Yes, the majority of voters have somehow voted NDP, and yet the NDP has still lost 4 elections in a row. Talk about a flawed electoral system.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 30th, 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Funny how living in the past is a great way of ignoring the present .
my5cents
Guru

Re: Glen Clark/BC NDP cost taxpayers 40 million

Post by my5cents »

Rwede wrote:Here's the hilarious part of that complete #fakenews story:

But independent economist Robyn Allan, who has analyzed figures used by Imperial Metals, said in an interview that, despite those assurances by Environment Minister Mary Polak, taxpayers are picking up almost $40 million of the clean up tab, amounting to more than half of the response cost.

That figure is made up of $23.6 million in tax refunds for Imperial Metals and $15.5 million in direct costs incurred by government departments over the past two-and-a-half years, said Allan, former president of ICBC.

So, in a leftist's mind, when a company incurs expenses and ends up getting income tax refunds because they lost money, the income tax refund is costing the taxpayers for cleanup.

What a complete pile of BS.

Oh yeah, the failed mine design was approved by the BC NDP, not the BC Libs, so I've corrected the thread title.

From Wikipedia -

The Mount Polley open pit copper and gold mine disaster in the Cariboo region of British Columbia began in the early morning of 4 August 2014 with a partial breach of the tailings pond dam, releasing 10 million cubic metres of water and 4.5 million cubic metres of slurry into Polley Lake

British Columbia’s government initially insisted the dam failure was not an environmental disaster, a position British Columbia’s Environment Minister, Mary Polak, reversed in November 2014.

In 2010, Mount Polley Mining Corporation's (MPMC) engineering firm reported a 10 metres crack in the earthen dam while working to raise it, and that piezometers were broken, which per MPMC were later fixed.

In 2010 then-premier Gordon Campbell had cut funding for seven ministries responsible for resource management which were reorganized into a “single team” approach. Inspections across the province decreased from 22 in 2009 to 3 in 2010, two in 2011, and none in 2012. Mount Polley was last inspected in 2013, but not 2011 or 2012. Bill Bennett, Minister of Energy and Mines, said "there is no evidence that the government’s missed inspections were related to the failure of the dam this year".

The controlling shareholder of Imperial Metals is billionaire N. Murray Edwards. He donated half a million dollars in campaign contributions to the B.C. Liberal party since 2005 and helped organize a $1-million fundraiser for B.C. Premier Christy Clark’s re-election.

YUP, definate the NDP's fault.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”