Worry Over Wildlife Decline

alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Worry Over Wildlife Decline

Post by alfred2 »

lasnomadas wrote:@Old Techie:
I see you'd like to discuss the blueberry and farmed salmon story. Okay, I'll begin a discussion on that topic. See you there.

are you for real, show some facts on all your subjects, or do you like to make up events? :200:
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lasnomadas wrote:The very best thing we can do to stop this fish and wildlife decline is to elect a different provincial government on May 9. They are by far the worst environmental disasters in B.C. history. Just look at their record.......Fish Lake (thank god the feds stepped in to save that one), Mount Polley tailings pond breach (mining company still not financially responsible), dumping of contaminated soil into Shawnigan Lake (has that been stopped yet?), contaminated groundwater in Spallumcheen from the spreading of manure on fields, and many more that have escaped my memory but will add as I recall them, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

You mean the NDP, who cut funding for the Ministry of Environment and fired 25% of the biologists and COs?

British Columbia's Environment Budget Continues Decline
05/15/00
RELAYED TEXT STARTS HERE:

Title: British Columbia's Environment Budget Continues Decline
Source: © 1999 Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment, Montreal
Date: May 15, 2000

MONTREAL, May 15, 2000 - Since 1995/96, the Government of British Columbia (B.C.) has cut its environment budget 28.5 percent - from $263,700,000 to $188,506,000 in the new fiscal year 2000/2001. The Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks was one of the least funded ministries, listed 12th out of 19 ministries in budget size. The environment ministry budget represented only 0.8 percent of the total 1999/2000 British Columbia budget of $21.1 billion and is being cut at a time when the entire BC budget has been increased.

Cuts to the environment budget in B.C. are much larger than the average cuts to any of the other ministries. While it is important that fat be trimmed from government spending, it is indicative that the environment budget was cut much more than the overall government cutbacks, which average much less than 10 percent since 1995.

More than 400 full time positions have been removed from the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks. As a result, the Ministry has lost the ability to fully inspect, monitor, and enforce its own laws. Also, the B.C. government has lost the ability to enforce federal laws such as the federal Fisheries Act, CEPA and the new Species at Risk Act (SARA) that will be passed this year. Also, B.C. is no longer in a position to monitor and enforce the Canada Wide Standards that will be set out under Canadian Council of the Ministers of the Environment (CCME) under the Harmonization Agreement that gives some of the federal powers to the provinces. As a result, B.C. will have unfunded mandates and will basically not be able to meet its legal obligations under its laws. Also, it will not be able to help Canada comply with national commitments to international environmental agreements, because of lack of funding.

To contact the B.C. Government about the budget cuts email [email protected]. See the B.C. Government budget at the website http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/. See the B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks at http://www.gov.bc.ca/elp/.
B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands & Parks Budget From 1995 to 2000
The following are the annual budget allocations by the Government of British Columbia to the Ministry of Environment, Lands & Parks (MELP). The numbers are in the millions of dollars (000,000):

95/96 - $263
96/97 - $222
97/98 - $204
98/99 - $188
99/00 - $194
00/01 - $188

During this same period MELP staff were reduced by 400 from 2,453 in 1995 to 2053 in 2000. Normally, it is expected that the New Democratic Party (NDP) is socially sensitive and environmentally friendly. Certainly, that is how the NDP has cast itself in opposition. However, now as government, like in Ontario (during the Bob Rae NDP Government), the NDP have displayed much more conservative attitudes regarding the need to protect the environmental health of people.
Source B.C. Government Services Employees' Union (BCGEU), 2994 Douglas Street, Victoria, B.C. , V8T 4N4, ph. (250) 388-9948, fax (250) 384-8060, 1 800 667- 1033, E-mail: [email protected] , Website: http://www.bcgeu.bc.ca/contact.html.

B.C. Environment Survey Reveals Government of British Columbia Not Doing Its Job
A survey conducted of the professionals working for MELP reveals that the ability of the Ministry to protect the environment has been severely compromised by the budget cuts. The survey, conducted by the British Columbia Government Employees' Union (BCGEU) found, "very low morale, and a great loss of confidence in the ministry's ability to protect the environment". It found that, "ministry employees have lost confidence in the ministry's ability to do the job. With further cuts to staff and resources planned for the current fiscal year, the ministry will become even less able to manage and protect our environment". The survey found that, "the men and women who protect B.C.'s environment say that they are less able to do the job now than they were five years ago, and that there is not enough field work, monitoring and assessment."

It also found that, "current workloads do not allow permit and monitoring systems to work effectively. Only 2 percent give a "good" rating to B.C.'s permit and monitoring systems. None rate it as "very effective". More than half 53 percent call it "poor", while 35 percent say it is "not at all effective", for a combined negative rating of 88 percent. The survey was conducted by sending 1,600 questionnaires to MELP staff; out of which 252 (16 percent) were returned and analyzed.

A copy of the report based on the survey can be obtained from Cliff Stainsby, Senior Researcher, British Columbia Government Employees' Union, 2994 Douglas Street, Victoria, B.C. V8T 4N4, ph. (250) 388-9948, fax (250) 384-8060, 1 800 667- 1033, E-mail [email protected] , Website http://www.bcgeu.bc.ca/contact.html.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

since you didn't answer my question I will repeat it - what fish and wildlife decline? Where?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The Green Barbarian wrote:since you didn't answer my question I will repeat it - what fish and wildlife decline? Where?

http://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-koote ... he-elk-go/

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -chilcotin

That's after 30 seconds googling -- there are similar stories throughout the province...

Edit:

And another: https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/170411 ... lk-numbers
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

OldIslander wrote:
http://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-koote ... he-elk-go/

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -chilcotin

That's after 30 seconds googling -- there are similar stories throughout the province...

Edit:

And another: https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/170411 ... lk-numbers

OK - so my next question - is this just mother nature and a natural cycle or is this really a political issue as the OP is suggesting?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Liberals just announced that all revenue from hunting licences and tags will be going directly into a game commission, fashioned after the highly successful Freshwater Fisheries Society, to be used to enhance wildlife populations and upgrade habitat.

This includes an immediate $5 million in seed money and $200,000 for developing TOR and a framework.

The extra money will be approximately $10 million per year.

From the BC Wildlife Federation:

For immediate release

Kelowna, B.C.

The BC Wildlife Federation congratulates the Provincial Government for committing to a new wildlife management model today. The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations announced it will form a new wildlife agency in late fall 2017 backed by $5 million in start up funds. The agency would be supported by $9 to $10 million collected each year from hunting licence revenues.

President Jim Glaicar said, "The BC Wildlife Federation commends the Province for its commitment to dedicate hunting licence revenues to a stand-alone agency to enhance wildlife management. The BCWF, on behalf of our 50,000 members, is pleased to have our call for greater investment in fish, wildlife and habitat realized through this investment."

A dedicated funding model is a concept the BCWF has been promoting intensively for the past two years. This announcement is a validation of the BCWF’s diligence on this file. We look forward to working collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to address dwindling fish, wildlife and habitat.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

[/quote]OK - so my next question - is this just mother nature and a natural cycle or is this really a political issue as the OP is suggesting?[/quote]

Dunno -- but I suspect partially. There are a number of factors that result in unnatural declines of game; some of them can be controlled by the F&W folks (who are funded and "directed" by the government in power...) and some others can't. For example, the Kootenays just had an absolute bugger of a winter, and the elk winter-kill was above average. The question is, will the F&W folks try to give the animals there a break by limiting or cancelling elk hunts this year? I'll bet you a dollar they won't.

In other parts of the province, it's expanding wolf populations. Should there be a wolf cull? Few politicians will get on that bandwagon, because it's almost as controversial as the seal hunt back east.

A huge issue in game management is native hunting. They can hunt and kill anything they want, anywhere they want, any time they want (even all night long using pit lamps...), and the odds of a conviction are slim to none. So can any government do anything about that? Highly unlikely.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

OldIslander wrote:
A huge issue in game management is native hunting. They can hunt and kill anything they want, anywhere they want, any time they want (even all night long using pit lamps...), and the odds of a conviction are slim to none. So can any government do anything about that? Highly unlikely.

Interesting. Any stats on this?
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
OldIslander wrote:

It's easily googleable. Five secs of search finds this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-first ... t-1.618478
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

OldIslander wrote:It's easily googleable.

Then one should support their position and not ask others to prove their point for them.
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

Its a case of economy verses environment. We all hear how good the fracking, mining, trophy hunting is for the economy. They think helping the environment consists of taxes and fees charged to consumers. The rich get richer and the animals have no where to go.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

OldIslander wrote:
Dunno -- but I suspect partially. There are a number of factors that result in unnatural declines of game; some of them can be controlled by the F&W folks (who are funded and "directed" by the government in power...) and some others can't. For example, the Kootenays just had an absolute bugger of a winter, and the elk winter-kill was above average. The question is, will the F&W folks try to give the animals there a break by limiting or cancelling elk hunts this year? I'll bet you a dollar they won't.

In other parts of the province, it's expanding wolf populations. Should there be a wolf cull? Few politicians will get on that bandwagon, because it's almost as controversial as the seal hunt back east.

If our regulated elk hunting affected elk numbers, they could adjust seasons. However, the 6 point bull only elk season in the East Kootenays doesn't change elk numbers one bit. The sperm supply is more than sufficient for a >90% pregnancy rate with the current season. The key to growing elk numbers is calf recruitment, and that can only be enhanced with predator control and habitat enhancement, especially burns. Throwing a few more 6 point bull elk on winter range can actually reduce calf recruitment, as mature bulls will consume enough food for several calves. I'd rather see 4 calves get through the winter than 1 bull if I want my elk population to grow.

Should there be a wolf cull? Absolutely, they have decimated ungulate populations in many areas. Try to find a politician with the balls to do it though - the only place we've done it is in caribou recovery zones, and the NDP opposed that on emotional rather than scientific grounds. The NDP just doesn't get it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
OldIslander wrote:

Yes. Region 8 (Okanagan) butcher records for moose 2016:

Bulls - licenced hunters 62, natives 64.

Cows - licenced hunters 12, natives 45.

Considering the relative numbers of moose hunters from each group (just over 3,000 licenced moose hunters and an estimated 300 native hunters), hunting 365 days/year by natives has resulted in a far higher per capita harvest than the licenced hunters who get a two week season for 2 point or smaller bulls, or high odds (50:1 odds or higher of being drawn) limited entry hunts.

The ONA needs to partner closely with local fish and game clubs to help monitor/expand game populations and the ONA needs to direct their people to be selective in areas of high winter access to avoid localized overharvest.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Veovis wrote:
OldIslander wrote:It's easily googleable.

Then one should support their position and not ask others to prove their point for them.

I'm not trying to support any position. Your MO seems to be to ask a bunch of questions based on other folks comments and contributions to the debate. You appear lazy. Google is your friend -- try using it from time to time, instead of asking other folks to do it for you.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

It certainly is over hunting, by all.

Return to “B.C.”