Breaking ground for bridge

Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Breaking ground for bridge

Post by Gilchy »

gordon_as wrote:Only "certain companies" are even allowed to bid. The libs have a list of Preferred Vendors. Guess how you get on that list ?

I don't believe that the Liberal defenders are stupid , so I have to just accept that they are perfectly OK with corruption on a massive scale , as long as their party benefits.

Orrrr, a company gets on the list by being a certain size, having adequate bonding, etc.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

gordon_as wrote:Only "certain companies" are even allowed to bid. The libs have a list of Preferred Vendors. Guess how you get on that list ?

My guess is to have pre-approved experience in construction, be a stable and financially viable company so you don't just disappear one day, be able to be insured for a huge deal of money in case you get sued, be able to meet the workload demand, have expertise in planning and administering a project of this magnitude ... So, that's my guess.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Paving and road maintenance companies that donated to the B.C. Liberal party received nearly twice as many contracts from the provincial government on average than companies that did not donate.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

your wrong even because the school that was retrofitted in my home town was bc govt contract and they were not a giant construction company .
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I'm still waiting for the cost analysis that proves twinning the tunnel costs the same as building the bridge......Tony? (I'm not even going to ask about how you arrived at the safety issue.)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lets see 2 bridges that cost taxpayers millions a year and lets go for number 3 . also lets remind the iron workers who are needed to build a bridge were called derogatory names on here by clark apologists .

:smt045
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lasnomadas wrote:I'm still waiting for the cost analysis that proves twinning the tunnel costs the same as building the bridge......Tony? (I'm not even going to ask about how you arrived at the safety issue.)

In a seismic event this tunnel is not safe since its not drilled threw bedrock, just laying on river sediment. As for the bridge if solid bedrock is not available then its risky as well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Not supported by the area mayors.

Who say public transit is way underfunded.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

From The Breaker :

The BC Liberal government designated TI Corp. as the agency in charge of building the $3.5 billion-plus, 10-lane toll bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel between Richmond and Delta. Late last year, Clark made Dan Doyle, her former chief of staff, the chair of the TI Corp. board.

Retired Deputy Transportation minister Doyle was in charge of construction for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics before becoming chair of BC Hydro.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Many believe that Christie's real objective here is to remove the tunnel. With a new bridge and the tunnels gone, she can dredge the river so monster freighters can move up the river to Anacis Island and New Westminster, to move oil, LNG, etc.

It would be considerably cheaper to add another tunnel (or two) alongside the existing ones, but then the river depth stays the same.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... story.html
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

lasnomadas wrote:I'm still waiting for the cost analysis that proves twinning the tunnel costs the same as building the bridge......Tony? (I'm not even going to ask about how you arrived at the safety issue.)

Silly boy , the Liberals don't do cost / benefit analysis' . Why would they do that , when they can just go ahead with whatever they want , for whatever reason they want , knowing that one way or another the taxpayer will foot the bill.

That's what happens when you give an already corrupt government a mandate to continue being corrupt for another 4 years.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I don't believe that the Liberal defenders are stupid , so I have to just accept that they are perfectly OK with corruption on a massive scale , as long as their party benefits.

One of my past jobs I got to bid on Government projects all the time. I got to do that by asking to be put on the bid list - that's all there was to it. It's still that way. It doesn't cost, you just have to request. All bids are also open to the public on line, and anyone can bid. It's not just "certain companies"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Tony wrote:

One of my past jobs I got to bid on Government projects all the time. I got to do that by asking to be put on the bid list - that's all there was to it. It's still that way. It doesn't cost, you just have to request. All bids are also open to the public on line, and anyone can bid. It's not just "certain companies"

Now you're just trying to complicate matters with facts. That's not going to work. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

SNC Lavalin, who has worked on many, many projects here in BC thanks to ChristyLiberal contracts:

SNC Lavalin Banned From World Bank Projects For 10 Years
By Natalie Rodriguez

Law360, New York (April 18, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT) -- A unit of Canadian construction giant SNC Lavalin Group Inc. has been debarred from bidding on World Bank Group projects for a decade as part of a settlement over allegations that the company bribed Bangladeshi officials, the parties announced Wednesday.

https://www.law360.com/articles/433774/ ... r-10-years
Chill
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

gordon_as wrote:From The Breaker :

The BC Liberal government designated TI Corp. as the agency in charge of building the $3.5 billion-plus, 10-lane toll bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel between Richmond and Delta. Late last year, Clark made Dan Doyle, her former chief of staff, the chair of the TI Corp. board.

Retired Deputy Transportation minister Doyle was in charge of construction for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics before becoming chair of BC Hydro.

You realize that TI Corp is a Crown corporation, don't you? Are you saying that there's a problem with having a Crown corporation in charge of an infrastructure project? Maybe you didn't research before replying.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “B.C.”