UBC graduates 50 firstnation docs early

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: UBC graduates 50 firstnation docs early

Post by Smurf »

gordon_as I did not mean there was specific money for this program. I was only commenting on the fact that I believe the government provides somewhere in the neighborhood of 45% of the UBC resources. Due to that fact they/we played a large part in the funding of spots for these students.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

alfred2 wrote:
gordon_as wrote:
Not sure why someone would seek to politicize this story.

you just did. :up:

Actually , it was smurf.
He/she/it gave credit to Christy and the Liberals , like a good liberal booster would.
I commented that the claim may have been erroneous , which it was given the context of the post , and questioned why this had become a political issue.
Now you do the Christy spin to somehow blame me for someone else's actions.
Just a normal day.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:same to you mr vegas . why did you jump to that conclusion ?theres no reason to guess as it can also mean we should be proud to have doctors from canada that will stay in canada whioe at same time supply new tax base to add more money to be spent where needed :smt045

What conclusion did I jump to? I just stated that I don't care about a doctors nationality.....are you reading more into my stated fact? Nerve hit?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

:topic:

I think this is wonderful news...now can we get a few of those 50 newly minted Drs here in Kelowna?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Barney Google wrote::topic:

I think this is wonderful news...now can we get a few of those 50 newly minted Drs here in Kelowna?

The story is 2 years old , and the particular lady they interviewed was planing on practicing obstetrics back in her home
province of Manitoba. If none of the 50 have come to Kelowna already , I doubt any will.
Not 100% sure , but I did read somewhere that BC pays the Dr's less than any other province , which might be why we have a doctors shortage. A couple of communities nearby have recently acquired foreign Doctors.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

gordon_as wrote:...
Not 100% sure , but I did read somewhere that BC pays the Dr's less than any other province , which might be why we have a doctors shortage. A couple of communities nearby have recently acquired foreign Doctors.

This is an excellent point, off topic a little but I'm gonna run with it for a minute.

I've been spending a LOT of time at KGH lately and am appalled at what's going on with our medical services.

There is a shortage of staff from the top right down to the bottom and all across the board.

Wages are a big issue and work load another.

One day I over heard a nurses aide commenting that she just got her contracted scheduled cost of living raise.

She and her counter part that she was speaking to were upset but hypocritically laughing.

I later found out the wage increase for the year was 2 cents an hour...TWO CENTS?!?

Nothing like a $.02 an hour increase to keep you engaged and motivated.

Now, what would the majority of folks think/do if their bosses gave them a $.02 an hour raise?

Our medical health services needs an overhaul and yet we don't hear too much about that in the news.

Yippee...pot is going to be legalized but we don't have Drs or nursing staff?

Walk In Clinics are disappearing at an alarming rate...nothing in Rutland any longer and I heard Glenmore shut down?

Ambulances are not considered an essential service? COME ON!!! If I could drive my loved myself to KGH and provide

emergency life saving care at the same time I would but gee whiz it's hard to give CPR when you're driving

like a bat out of hell.

I'm glad we are seeing ALL new Drs graduating no matter their background or ethnicity...now, let's get them where they are

needed with supporting staffing and make it worth it for them.

Canadian trained medical personnel should be encouraged to stay in Canada...when they don't, we have serious problems.

Wonder what the rates of the indigenous Drs go back to their home communities, verses those that do not.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I also have been in hospital a bit lately with a sick family member. Even the cancer centre . No where to park have to walk a mile . Long waits for everything even chemo complications at emergency move like molasses in winter time . Ya the nurses are worked to the bone . Called in on all their days off . It's sickening .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Barney Google wrote:

I later found out the wage increase for the year was 2 cents an hour...TWO CENTS?!?

The 1% annual increase is actually 20 cents per hour , not 2 cents.
Last year , on the VERY SAME DAY that day they got a 20 cent per hour raise , Interior Health raised the daily staff parking charge 50% , from $2 per day to $3 per day. That ate up 62% of their raise , before taxes.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Barney Google wrote:
Walk In Clinics are disappearing at an alarming rate...nothing in Rutland any longer and I heard Glenmore shut down?

Due to the way the province is funding them.

Canadian trained medical personnel should be encouraged to stay in Canada...when they don't, we have serious problems.

Many Canadian trained medical professionals came here from other countries to get their degree , then they return to their home country to practice.
Many Canadians who receive training here in BC , choose to practice in other provinces , due to the low pay structure in BC.

You can point the finger at "greedy doctors" , or at the BC government who actually cause the problem to begin with.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gordon_as wrote:Not 100% sure , but I did read somewhere that BC pays the Dr's less than any other province , which might be why we have a doctors shortage. A couple of communities nearby have recently acquired foreign Doctors.

**EDIT** , checked in to it , Maritime Provinces are the Lowest. BC is below the national average though.
Factor in the cost of living and expenses in BC to other provinces , and things get magnified somewhat.

A few specialized fields are higher in BC than elsewhere.

Still looking into funding structure at walk in clinics. I believe the problem lies in a cap on number of billable patients per day.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

gordon_as wrote:
The 1% annual increase is actually 20 cents per hour , not 2 cents.
Last year , on the VERY SAME DAY that day they got a 20 cent per hour raise , Interior Health raised the daily staff parking charge 50% , from $2 per day to $3 per day. That ate up 62% of their raise , before taxes.

Thanks for clearing that up, Gordon. I was going by what I was being told.

20 cent per hour is kind of an insult too isn't it? After taxes it sure doesn't amount to much.
On top of that to get slapped with a 50% increase in parking is just adding to the insult.
I wouldn't do the jobs or put up with some of the stuff the KGH staff do.
Sure there are some 'cranky' Staffers but after practically living at KGH the last few months frankly, I don't blame them.

With regards to the Walk Ins...there was never a morning driving through Rutland that I didn't notice a long line up
waiting at the Walk In Clinic at Willow Park for the doors to open. While I only went to that Walk In a few times, walking by
fairly regularly I would notice there were always at least five or six people waiting in the reception area.
Last edited by Barney Google on Apr 15th, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Unknown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I believe the problem lies in a cap on number of billable patients per day.

Yowza yowza! We have a winner.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

when one of the few clinics in Vernon closed last month , what did our Liberal MLA have to say ? : Foster called the walk-in clinic’s closure “unfortunate” but said, “at the end of the day, walk-in clinics are a private business and if they can’t recruit staff, they can’t recruit them.”
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

As our mothers trained us, If you cannot sày anything nice,(once in a while) then do not say anything.
It`s just too bad when a good news story like this one becomes the setting for alternate facts sent out for poor tasting political misspeak, uttered without foundation of truth.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Please elaborate.

Return to “B.C.”