Vancouvers free heroin program

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Vancouvers free heroin program

Post by maryjane48 »

The Crosstown Clinic on Hastings Street offers free doses of heroin and hydromorphone

The federal government overturned a ban on prescription heroin in September, but in a recent interview with CBC, federal Health Minister Jane Philpott said provinces, including B.C., "have not used that opportunity to provide treatment to the people that need it."

B.C. Health Minister Terry Lake told CBC's The Early Edition, "We don't have physicians that are capable at this point in time in numbers large enough to administer injectable, pharmaceutical grade heroin and finding those particular people that would be helped by that is not simple."

MacDonald, said there are another 350 people who have already been screened and would benefit from the treatment.

He also said the pharmacist on site could easily accommodate more patients, and clinics could be quickly set up elsewhere; all that would be needed is a room and funding for a nurse.

For Schnell and the others in the program, the urgency of the opioid overdose crisis couldn't be any more obvious.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3952325

as you can see from that link the feds over turned the ban that prevented these types of programs from happening . but that will change when the money and people are properly funded .

Since November 2014, Crosstown Clinic in the Downtown Eastside has seen a select group of addicts visit three times a day to receive clean, legal, and regulated doses of heroin, paid for by B.C. taxpayers. It’s the only facility like it in North America.

Critics describe the program as giving up on people. Among its notable detractors are former prime minister Stephen Harper and his health minister, Rona Ambrose, who tried to shut it down. Supporters respond by noting prescription heroin is proven to stabilize entrenched addicts’ lives, helping them secure employment and housing, reduce tendencies to commit crimes, and improve their health.

its been going on for almost 3 years . i never knew that . anyways so far it has done what was intended plus some extra bonuses

http://www.straight.com/news/878486/van ... abstinence
What_the
Übergod

Re: Vancouvers free heroin program

Post by What_the »

Well, doctors supervision and methadone got me off the crap.
Of course I never intended to get addicted to the narcs that were prescribed, in the last case pain bad enough to grit my teeth every morning and proverbially shed a tear. And it's not the "life" I wanted and it wasn't specifically a choice either.

They will not be giving diacetyl morphine to every Joe that walks in the door.

Cannot stress that enough.

It is reserved for those that arguably have given up, and where other treatments have failed.

If we want to make a dent? Provide immediate treatment, hand out "seventh place" ribbons for self esteem and confidence in elementary school, ensure no child lives below poverty line, place full time psychologists in schools where they actually have time to spend with kids, mitigate negative associations, and pull the rug out from under black market. Our choice as far as I can remember, see and understand.

My former addicted lifes lessons in a nut shell.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yes that was my point . everyones different it is huge news with vpd finally getting behind this . with them onboard i see it expanding as fast as possible .
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Tbh. They've been "behind" after witnessing the good In site has delivered since it's inception. Documented.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

What_the wrote:Tbh. They've been "behind" after witnessing the good In site has delivered since it's inception. Documented.

no i mean legal hard drugs not just in a clinic
GalaxyzAway

Post by GalaxyzAway »

z
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

maryjane48 wrote:
What_the wrote:Tbh. They've been "behind" after witnessing the good In site has delivered since it's inception. Documented.

no i mean legal hard drugs not just in a clinic

While I have certain reservations about "across the board", I know for certain that people will do what they want.

What people don't really realize is that alcohol is the hardest drug around and have no problem imbibing gleefully.
Not comparing at all, just sick of the claim of legalities.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theres no way to mitigate garbage like fentynal or the lowlifes that peddle it . i am starting to wonder based on comments made on castanet if the folks selling fentynal are regular dealers *removed* :smt045
Last edited by ferri on Jun 1st, 2017, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

maryjane48 wrote:theres no way to mitigate garbage like fentynal or the lowlifes that peddle it . i am starting to wonder based on comments made on castanet if the folks selling fentynal are regular dealers *removed* :smt045

Im inferring somethings MJ, won't go on about that but there are ways of mitigating. Brushed on that in my first post.

Strange however, none of the regular anti community folk have chimed in here to drive their point home lol. Specially after the rv thread was locked. They should be all over this thread like white on rice.

Return to “B.C.”