I Have Grade 12... Dun Grade Siks 2 timz

What_the
Übergod

Re: I Have Grade 12... Dun Grade Siks 2 timz

Post by What_the »

And basically you're saying there's enough teachers now, and that 1500 more are i.e. superfluous?

I'm being a little, word in the mouthy, but is there such a thing as much as possible for everyone's kids?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

American, and it interested me, but I think the key word is Finland.

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

What_the wrote:And basically you're saying there's enough teachers now, and that 1500 more are i.e. superfluous?

I'm being a little, word in the mouthy, but is there such a thing as much as possible for everyone's kids?

I suspect that yes, but let's wait until they are hired and see what the end result is. If the kids don't come out any smarter you have your answer.

The BCTF's objective has little to do with what's best for our children. If it did they wouldn't allow them to be used as pawns, and they'd take drastic action, when a teacher crosses the line and involves them in their personal politics, as happened last go round in Vernon.

The BCTF's main objective is to grow the membership by whatever means necessary, be they legitimate or not.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

A couple of comments.

I am of the belief that you can't teach anyone anything - they have to learn it.

I also think that if you can not demonstrate knowledge in a test situation, then you don't really have that knowledge. The real world doesn't give out participation points, you either do a good job, or you are out.

Not everyone has the same type of intelligence. Our system tends not to recognize that. Teachers are graduates of an academic system that is automatically biased to certain type of intelligence, and in order to be graduates, teachers must, largely, fit that certain type of intelligence. (Think about Einstein who was NOT a good student.)

In line with the first comment, I was happy to see the Green party proposals covering jointly daycare and early childhood education. Get kids used to the environment and social situation before they hit the instructional phase - then they will be ready to learn. Teach kids early the joys of discovery, and they will embrace education.

Class size has no "one size fits all". Data on improvements by class size reduction are mixed by context. There is nothing wrong with recognizing that some kids do better with minimal teacher interference.

I know this goes against uber ideological thinking, but some kids do NOT belong in the regular classroom - their rights end where they tread on the rights of others.

One major mandatory class is missing in high school - "real world" - parenting. Mentoring your own kids will give them a huge leg up.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”