Welcome to No Fun BC

techrtr
Übergod

Welcome to No Fun BC

Post by techrtr »

You can get mowed down by some old guy riding a mobility scooter in the grocery store but some young guy can't ride an electric skateboard. Ridiculous.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/199266/598-ticket-for-E-boarder
Sparki55
Guru

Re: Welcome to No Fun BC

Post by Sparki55 »

This board cant go much faster than a bicycle, if even as fast. Makes me wonder when insurance for a bicycle will be required.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Sparki55 wrote:This board cant go much faster than a bicycle, if even as fast. Makes me wonder when insurance for a bicycle will be required.

That will be the next cash grab. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

It does seem kind of ridiculous.
But then....anytime you motorize something and take it out on to public roads and sidewalks....you are subject to all kinds of rules and regulations.

Anyway....this full grown man should have done his homework before buying this device.
Could have avoided that large fine and any restocking fees the seller will hit him with.

Mobility carts are needed by the elderly to get around and offer them a little independence....can't really compare that to this guys neato toy.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

I don't think motorized wheelchairs, 4 wheeled scooters have to be insured.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The way I've seen some cyclists behave it's a wonder one hasn't severely injured or crippled a pedestrian yet.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I think if cyclists are going to be on the roadways they should have insurance. What if they cause an accident which they do, should they not be responsible and have insurance to pay for the damages. Any type of transportation that travels on a public roadway should have insurance. The fine seems a little steep but he did have a motor vehicle on a roadway. What if he swerves in front of a car that swerves to miss him, hits another car and does a bunch of damage to both cars. Should he not be insured to cover that? Are public roadways a place to have fun? With the amount of traffic we are getting today, I would think not.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Smurf wrote:I think if cyclists are going to be on the roadways they should have insurance. What if they cause an accident which they do, should they not be responsible and have insurance to pay for the damages. Any type of transportation that travels on a public roadway should have insurance. The fine seems a little steep but he did have a motor vehicle on a roadway. What if he swerves in front of a car that swerves to miss him, hits another car and does a bunch of damage to both cars. Should he not be insured to cover that? Are public roadways a place to have fun? With the amount of traffic we are getting today, I would think not.

If a car swerves to avoid hitting something or someone, they are the ones at fault. The person who caused the car to swerve is not at fault. Though the skateboarder would not be at fault, your example would also apply to pedestrians. I have had people step out in front of my car and made to stop quickly or risk hitting them. Should all people should have insurance to leave home?

Maybe we ought to buy insurance for our kids a well. Children have the ability to be destructive, soccer balls hitting cars, baseballs through windows.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I was going to ask about the logistics of insuring a 12 yr old cyclist...
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

It's a chicken :cuss: ticket by a chicken :cuss: cop. It may be technically legal ticket to write but have to be a total jerk to do so. A warning would have sufficed for all you, the law is the law, people.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 12th, 2017, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Safety & Compliance

Prior to purchasing any Boosted product, we highly recommend that you research your local regulations and country-specific laws. Ultimately, you are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations, and Boosted waives all liability relating to your use of Boosted products.

https://support.boostedboards.com/hc/en ... Compliance

Seems straight forward.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Not permitted on roads:

Scooter, motorized skateboard or self-balancing board
• May only be operated where B.C.’s Motor Vehicle Act
doesn’t apply, such as private property that does not
have public vehicle access or on a trail or
pathway if allowed by a municipal bylaw.
• Not to be operated on a public sidewalk
adjacent to a roadway.

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registratio ... owered.pdf

Return to “B.C.”