Begbie and beyond

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Begbie and beyond

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

when are we going to see real action on these accounts of atrocities?
strip the perpetrators of their ill gotten gains.
names! publish names of all those involved in these barbaric acts of deception and murder.

“It seems horrible to hang 5 men at once,” wrote Begbie, then a judge for the colonial B.C. supreme court, in his trial notes. “Yet the blood of 21 whites calls for retribution.”

However, when five Tsilhqot’in chiefs approached the white camp to offer peace negotiations, they were instead manacled, charged, convicted and hanged.

“We meant war, not murder,” goes the famous defence by Lhatsas?in, one of the condemned chiefs. The quote is now enshrined in a monument built near the site of the hangings.

A sixth chief was later hanged in New Westminster, after he approached colonial authorities with gifts and seeking absolution for his role in the massacre.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... picks=true
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Begbie and beyond

Post by gman313 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:when are we going to see real action on these accounts of atrocities?
strip the perpetrators of their ill gotten gains.
names! publish names of all those involved in these barbaric acts of deception and murder.

“It seems horrible to hang 5 men at once,” wrote Begbie, then a judge for the colonial B.C. supreme court, in his trial notes. “Yet the blood of 21 whites calls for retribution.”

However, when five Tsilhqot’in chiefs approached the white camp to offer peace negotiations, they were instead manacled, charged, convicted and hanged.

“We meant war, not murder,” goes the famous defence by Lhatsas?in, one of the condemned chiefs. The quote is now enshrined in a monument built near the site of the hangings.

A sixth chief was later hanged in New Westminster, after he approached colonial authorities with gifts and seeking absolution for his role in the massacre.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... picks=true

begbie is long gone - not sure what you mean by action on a dead guy
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's kinda stupid to judge people of the past with today's standards. May as well start removing Thomas Jefferson from history too because the guy owned slaves.

By all accounts Bigbie was a good man and a fair judge, which is why he has become immortalized.

His status of removal has everything to do with the so called "Chilcotin War." Basically, Waddington's work crew was attacked at night while they slept in their tents, and Bigbie had those responsible hanged. In retrospect, we could argue that they were building a road into First Nation territory without permission, but to expect Bigbie to make that judgement 150 years ago is ridiculous.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

All of the parties involved are long gone. Let it go.
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

I think I figured this one out! Its not about history or the fact that they killed 21 workers and the judge hung 5. Its more about First Nations and pipeline expansions!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

techrtr wrote:All of the parties involved are long gone. Let it go.

That's the hardest thing to do.
Especially not for the descended who've had their lives tainted.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

What_the wrote:
techrtr wrote:All of the parties involved are long gone. Let it go.

That's the hardest thing to do.
Especially not for the descended who've had their lives tainted.

Everyone one has tragedy in their past. Life is tragic and full of injustices. I'm sick of modern politicians being forced to apologize for something that happened long before they were even alive.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

You're calling me a "dirty and murderous" kind? I think you have issues, my friend (and your credibility just disappeared like a &art in a windstorm).
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Using a private message on the board.
T.Tsarnaev
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

This thread is highly inappropriate.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:This thread is highly inappropriate.

As with anything on these forums - consider the source.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

but honouring the various deceitful murderers for 150 years, and beyond, is appropriate?

and to continue to let the ill gotten gains be enjoyed by the evil murderers families during the same period, and into the future it would seem, is appropriate?

and to continue to uphold lies and dishonour agreements, again over the same years and assumedly into the future, is appropriate?

not all the victims were murdered you should know. the survivors exist, and whether 'canadians' will honour them or not, they/we have rights.

justice IS coming. best to be clued into your genealogy rather than be surprised the day she arrives.
T.Tsarnaev
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:

but honouring the various deceitful murderers for 150 years, and beyond, is appropriate?

and to continue to let the ill gotten gains be enjoyed by the evil murderers families during the same period, and into the future it would seem, is appropriate?

and to continue to uphold lies and dishonour agreements, again over the same years and assumedly into the future, is appropriate?

not all the victims were murdered you should know. the survivors exist, and whether 'canadians' will honour them or not, they/we have rights.

justice IS coming. best to be clued into your genealogy rather than be surprised the day she arrives.

And what does "justice" look like?

And what does "genealogy" look like? Must I have an indigenous bloodline? Must I be a member of a nation? What if I am married to someone with a bloodline who chooses to live as a "canadian" ?
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Techtr wrote:
Everyone one has tragedy in their past. Life is tragic and full of injustices. I'm sick of modern politicians being forced to apologize for something that happened long before they were even alive.

Well, if you're sick of healing others, perhaps it's time to abdicate your place in society as we are all part of a community.
If one thinks deeply for a minute our two, the past has a profound affect on the future. More importantly how that effect has on those that come after us.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “B.C.”