Interior Health screws its employees once again

mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Interior Health screws its employees once again

Post by mr.bandaid »

From what I remember about this whole fiasco is that it was not the wages that were the issue but the aging infrastructure ie: the washers and dryers. I do hope that this backfires big time knowing some of the dim lights they have working in management at Interior Health. Insofar as the politicians go, what do they care? A goodly portion of them have two terms, a job with a great wage and a nice pension awaiting them when they are gone.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:IHA like all the health authorities in BC is extremely top heavy,
shrink top end (management) & money would be there for front line staff.

Ka-El wrote: :135: are you a communist ???

Not at all Ka-El, just realist who sees the huge number Administrators within IH each with huge salaries.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:
IHA like all the health authorities in BC is extremely top heavy,
shrink top end (management) & money would be there for front line staff.

Veovis wrote:what is the total doctor and nurse gross wages vs the admin wages as a %.

Other than "TOO MUCH TOO MUCH I KNOW NOTHING BUT IT'S ALWAYS TOO MUCH!!!!!"

Lack of knowledge of people jobs lets comments like this feel ok, just like all cops are racist, or all men are rapists due to having a penis, or all gays are flamboyant degenerates...

blanket judgement with no knowledge is so easy right.

Sadly healthcare is hard, just like everything else in life and maybe attention to an issue is better than meaningless soundbites.

so again I ask. IF you could ve 20 doctors helping or 10, what would you choose? is laundry worth better care to you? You can't have it all, choose.

I don't have issue with front line staff & there income ie doctors & nurses (since they are ones helping patients).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:choice is clear . ndp them jobs stay . clark jobs gone replaced by a scab company :130:

And how would you know this for sure? That's right no one does....
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

GordonH wrote:I don't have issue with front line staff & there income ie doctors & nurses (since they are ones helping patients).

Wouldn't it also be nice if those same front line workers could manage themselves. Sadly they can't. Doctors don't come here on a whim, nurses don't help patients because they felt like it, that's why we have an endless stream of threats to walk out, demands for $$ out of reality, etc etc.

Everyone is so quick to say that those people do things but the admin does nothing. Just because people don't know or understand what someone does doesn't mean it has no value.

I don't know what you do for a living GordonH, but I don't automatically assume that means you are useless and not needed.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

The majority of the doctors in Kelowna directly bill to MSP and have nothing to do with inferior health. Bringing them into this conversation has little value. Management has grown exponentially in the 37 years I was involved.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I don't have issue with front line staff & there income ie doctors & nurses (since they are ones helping patients).

Veovis wrote:Wouldn't it also be nice if those same front line workers could manage themselves. Sadly they can't. Doctors don't come here on a whim, nurses don't help patients because they felt like it, that's why we have an endless stream of threats to walk out, demands for $$ out of reality, etc etc.

Everyone is so quick to say that those people do things but the admin does nothing. Just because people don't know or understand what someone does doesn't mean it has no value.

I don't know what you do for a living GordonH, but I don't automatically assume that means you are useless and not needed.

I work in private sector & only hire what is absolutely needed to do the job. If money is an issues then some employees buck it up & cut happen.
In our health system there are huge wait times so that tell me resources need to be shifted. So nurses & doctors and more beds + operating rooms (round the clock if need be) can be used to lower those patient wait list down to near zero.
(Example: Vernon last I heard has operating not being used, that is a waste. They should have the staff to use it & help lower the wait time down) Then why build that operating room.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

GordonH wrote:I work in private sector & only hire what is absolutely needed to do the job. If money is an issues then some employees buck it up & cut happen.
In our health system there are huge wait times so that tell me resources need to be shifted. So nurses & doctors and more beds + operating rooms (round the clock if need be) can be used to lower those patient wait list down to near zero.
(Example: Vernon last I heard has operating not being used, that is a waste. They should have the staff to use it & help lower the wait time down) Then why build that operating room.

I agree not using an open OR is a waste. Since it's simple to just move the money, why have doctors not just magically showed up to use the ER and operating rooms? Do you mean that it doesn't happen by magic and someone has to get them to come there? That sounds a lot like an Admin type position.....but I thought you said we didn't need those.

As I said, just because people have no clue what is involved doesn't make it useless. It means you don't know what is involved.

I don't know what the employees in the back at Wal-Mart actually do so they can all be fired and the prices dropped on what I buy there right? Same faulty logic.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I work in private sector & only hire what is absolutely needed to do the job. If money is an issues then some employees buck it up & cut happen.

Veovis wrote:I agree not using an open OR is a waste. Since it's simple to just move the money, why have doctors not just magically showed up to use the ER and operating rooms? Do you mean that it doesn't happen by magic and someone has to get them to come there? That sounds a lot like an Admin type position.....but I thought you said we didn't need those I said its top heavy, I did not say Adim's are not needed.

As I said, just because people have no clue what is involved doesn't make it useless. It means you don't know what is involved.

I don't know what the employees in the back at Wal-Mart actually do so they can all be fired and the prices dropped on what I buy there right? Same faulty logic. Since Wal-Mart is very much accountable to the shareholders, highly doubtful they have unneeded workers collecting paycheques. Should be the same with both Government & Health Authorities in BC, they should be very accountable to the taxpayers
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Well then since you are fully informed it seems, which admin can be eliminated?

How many work days just as long or longer than doctors and nurses?

How many put in the hours they do if you cut their pay in half? (many have already taken cuts)

Honestly I don't work there, I have just tired of the "get the admin" argument that is most often based on the simple logic of "I don't know what they do therefore they must do nothing" mentality.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Veogvis wrote:Well then since you are fully informed it seems, which admin can be eliminated?

How many put in the hours they do if you cut their pay in half? (many have already taken cuts)

Honestly I don't work there, I have just tired of the "get the admin" argument that is most often based on the simple logic of "I don't know what they do therefore they must do nothing" mentality.

That should be done by the Minster of Health and his/her staff, that is their job not mine. Of course it will never happen so our Healthcare system will continue to be broken.
Those who are desperately hanging on for the surgery/medical needs & in some cases loses the battle, will be the ones that suffer
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kgcayenne wrote:The information is out there and on these very forums. From what I have seen during my time here on the Castanet Forums, these discussions have gone on over the course of several issues. It would be great if I could dig them all up for you, however, I cannot give you enough of my time that is needed to dig up those references.

I’ll leave this offer: If you would like to hire me to do this as an internal job for you as an analyst, my wage would need to be $28/hr, but if you are contracting my services via the company I work for, that hourly rate is $70.

That $70 includes all overheads and machine/building/utility costs.

That could be one hell of a bargain for the payor.

Where's your financial analysis?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Veovis wrote:Well then since you are fully informed it seems, which admin can be eliminated?

I think it's just career jealousy by the unskilled grunts who can't fathom what years of post secondary education and experience brings to an organization.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

GordonH wrote:That should be done by the Minster of Health and his/her staff, that is their job not mine. Of course it will never happen so our Healthcare system will continue to be broken.
Those who are desperately hanging on for the surgery/medical needs & in some cases loses the battle, will be the ones that suffer

But you stated that Admin could be eliminated as if you knew it was fact was why I asked. You made it clear people could be eliminated as if you knew who and why, now it's someone else job? Perhaps then your assertion may not be accurate.

Perhaps the minister has actually done their job and the positions that exist should exist. Not knowing what they do, and not liking their necessity does not equal "top heavy" or "unnecessary"

I recall when people could be trusted to go to work and do a good job, sadly that isn't the way things work anymore and people need managing, add to that the insane increase in regulations and other governing bodies the disgusting world of paperwork exists and must be dealt with. I bet a doctors contract 40 years ago was a fraction what it is now.

Return to “B.C.”