Interior Health screws its employees once again

westbankkid
Übergod

Interior Health screws its employees once again

Post by westbankkid »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199553

Get rid of some of the overpaid executives at Interior Health and the money saved would pay for new equipment....It's a bloody shame the new company pays half the wages IH paid. Maybe it's a good thing you got a wake up call with the election Christy, even tho I hate the NDP...
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Interior Health screws its employees once again

Post by maryjane48 »

choice is clear . ndp them jobs stay . clark jobs gone replaced by a scab company :130:
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Off Topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jun 15th, 2017, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

The Liberal government do not like unions. Having said that the NDP were none to nice to the union I belonged to either.
The liberals like their corporate friends to make money. Anyone who works for them in this new laundry venture will not have that to look forward to. Minimum wage is the best that they can hope for and to be quite frank, I would prefer someone in as valuable of a job as doing bio-hazardous laundry to be happy at there job not worrying about how this job will help them pay the rent. Should be a revolving door that may just make the whole laundry company thing loose money.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

mr.bandaid wrote:The Liberal government do not like unions. Having said that the NDP were none to nice to the union I belonged to either.
The liberals like their corporate friends to make money. Anyone who works for them in this new laundry venture will not have that to look forward to. Minimum wage is the best that they can hope for and to be quite frank, I would prefer someone in as valuable of a job as doing bio-hazardous laundry to be happy at there job not worrying about how this job will help them pay the rent. Should be a revolving door that may just make the whole laundry company thing loose money.

$11.50
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

also, should be pretty easy to unionize the new place...start there and the wages will creep back up
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

gman313 wrote:also, should be pretty easy to unionize the new place...start there and the wages will creep back up

You would want to hope it would be hard for them to get employees in the first place. Hospital laundry is not like any other laundry you will ever see of smell.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Where will the laundry physically be done now?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

mr.bandaid wrote:You would want to hope it would be hard for them to get employees in the first place. Hospital laundry is not like any other laundry you will ever see of smell.

I can imagine. I have only encountered severely soiled bedding once when we lost a family member. I agree completely.

If they don't get employees they will not be able to meet their contract and off that will go.

My guess is they will get employees though. I think a union drive would be relatively easy to do. It is a large organization and all those union dues would be welcomed by most unions I would think.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Where will the laundry physically be done now?

I believe there is a central facility that it will be trucked to. (ie, the entire IHA region). I'm not sure where that is though.

It was mentioned way back when the announcement first came out - but since I can't remember what I had for breakfast I won't remember where that is.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ BC Interior Ecotex
9750 McCarthy Rd, Kelowna, BC
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Also $11.50 (and you folks hopefully got a grip on my deportment in general) is so totally F'd my blood is boiling. That for this kind of hot, heavy, disgusting, and potentially dangerous job is unthinkable.

Do you wanna use slave-labour-linen when you're vulnerable? Money isn't always an indicator of quality, but sometime it sure as sh*t is a starting place.

The kind of industry who pays this wage ought not be responsible for infection control.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Next they will bring in some TFW's because these lazy Canadians don't want these high paying cushy jobs. Buy the CEO an other Benz, he deserves it.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

And the South Okanagan Hospital which services in an emergency a huge territory from The Boundary to Penticton is in danger of closing Friday night because they can't find a Dr. to cover. The threat isn't new, it has been threatened a few times this year, and there has been I think two (possibly 3) times in the last 18 months where it wasn't just a threat but a reality.

Doctor shortages to the extreme of closing an ER to a territory which services from boundary to Penticton filled with old folks and vacationers) is not unique to most Health Authorities in Canada. But closing an ER of this importance reeks of incompetence from both the IHA and The Province. If you can't afford to buy yourself out of a crisis than you are underfunded to the point of Provincial incompetence too.

Funny how before the election the people of the South Okanagan had a bunch of politicians promise us the issue was resolved and the second it's over (but not really as even that The Provincial Liberals can't quite manage) here we are again facing a one hour drive into Penticton in an emergency.

Austerity measures have gone too far when ER's can't stay open and infection control of linen is up to an employee so unskilled that they're willing to work for $11.50
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:And the South Okanagan Hospital which services in an emergency a huge territory from The Boundary to Penticton is in danger of closing Friday night because they can't find a Dr. to cover. The threat isn't new, it has been threatened a few times this year, and there has been I think two (possibly 3) times in the last 18 months where it wasn't just a threat but a reality.

Doctor shortages to the extreme of closing an ER to a territory which services from boundary to Penticton filled with old folks and vacationers) is not unique to most Health Authorities in Canada. But closing an ER of this importance reeks of incompetence from both the IHA and The Province. If you can't afford to buy yourself out of a crisis than you are underfunded to the point of Provincial incompetence too.

Funny how before the election the people of the South Okanagan had a bunch of politicians promise us the issue was resolved and the second it's over (but not really as even that The Provincial Liberals can't quite manage) here we are again facing a one hour drive into Penticton in an emergency.

Austerity measures have gone too far when ER's can't stay open and infection control of linen is up to an employee so unskilled that they're willing to work for $11.50

IHA like all the health authorities in BC is extremely top heavy, shrink top end (management) & money would be there for front line staff.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”