British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Rwede » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:16 am

Cactusflower wrote:It has become obvious that the only people who are complaining about the addition of more teachers in B.C. are the same people who went from K - 12 under the BC Liberal regime. Uneducated comments abound here on the Castanet forums.

I agree. I just read some.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

2 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4753 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:18 am

Cactusflower wrote:It has become obvious that the only people who are complaining about the addition of more teachers in B.C. are the same people who went from K - 12 under the BC Liberal regime. Uneducated comments abound here on the Castanet forums.

Nope. The BC Liberals didn't even exist when I went through K-12.

It does absolutely no good to add more teachers per se. It is the quality of teaching that matters. The NDP and their BCTF masters are creating guaranteed jobs (school districts are scrambling to find enough teachers already because of the crooked BCTF-NDP back room deal) for the duds.

I started school we were on shifts and class sizes were 35 and up. Didn't do any harm, because good teachers knew how to deal with it.

It is the quality of teaching that matters, not the quantity. Quantity over quality guarantees mediocre results.

The crooked NDP unionists are just rewarding their corrupt BCTF masters.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

5 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 4596 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:34 am

Right, HG, you likely went to school when the Socreds (now known as the BC Liberals) were in power, same as me. I lived in a rural area where teachers only lasted a year or two......sometimes even less than a year, but that's another story.

The crack you made about uneducated comments, and directed at me, of course, was uncalled for. You know as well as I that the majority of comments on this thread are written by BCLP proponents. They are rude, insensitive, and for the most part untrue.

The NDP are doing their best to make the best of a bad situation that they inherited from the BC Liberals. Give them a break.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:37 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:Canadian Taxpayers Federation - Fédération canadienne des contribuables

Monday, September 11, 2017

BC Budget: Bigger debt and bigger spending
BC government hikes carbon tax and piles on more debt

VICTORIA, BC: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) is disappointed that the new BC government is hiking taxes, boosting spending and increasing the debt.

“BC taxpayers will pay more for heating their homes, driving their cars and running their businesses in the wake if this budget, because the carbon tax is going up and it isn’t even going to be ‘revenue neutral’ anymore,” said Kris Sims, BC Director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. “The government has also cancelled the requirement to report where the carbon taxes taken from British Columbians go – this is now just going to be another buried tax grab that we are all forced to pay.”

The BC government is also adding to the provincial debt, boosting it by $6.9 billion between now and the 2019-20 fiscal year. That means the provincial debt is forecast to balloon from $65.9 billion to a total of $72.8 billion.

Andrew Weaver says the carbon tax not being revenue neutral is ok if the money is used to pay for transit. Zero in the budget for new transit.

You have to figure this carbon tax increase is really regressive and especially discriminatory against rural, small town, and small city residents. They don't have workable transit systems. What about fixed income folks? Everything they buy will go up with the carbon tax? When they have to drive to the doctor's (if they can find one) - they will have to pay extra.

So the NDP are whacking rural, small town, suburban (think Langley, Maple Ridge where Sky Train is just a distant dream), and small city residents to reward their BCTF cronies and their NDP 3 stooges mayors.

The NDP wouldn't know good policy if you wrapped a mackerel with it and smacked them in the face.

It stinks!
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby rustled » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:47 am

hobbyguy wrote:Andrew Weaver says the carbon tax not being revenue neutral is ok if the money is used to pay for transit. Zero in the budget for new transit.

You have to figure this carbon tax increase is really regressive and especially discriminatory against rural, small town, and small city residents. They don't have workable transit systems. What about fixed income folks? Everything they buy will go up with the carbon tax? When they have to drive to the doctor's (if they can find one) - they will have to pay extra.

So the NDP are whacking rural, small town, suburban (think Langley, Maple Ridge where Sky Train is just a distant dream), and small city residents to reward their BCTF cronies and their NDP 3 stooges mayors.

The NDP wouldn't know good policy if you wrapped a mackerel with it and smacked them in the face.

It stinks!

They'll be sticking it to the rural areas with their additional teacher hires, too. But that doesn't matter, because those aren't the coveted swing ridings. No need to buy their votes.

3 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4038 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:50 am

Cactusflower wrote:Right, HG, you likely went to school when the Socreds (now known as the BC Liberals) were in power, same as me. I lived in a rural area where teachers only lasted a year or two......sometimes even less than a year, but that's another story.

The crack you made about uneducated comments, and directed at me, of course, was uncalled for. You know as well as I that the majority of comments on this thread are written by BCLP proponents. They are rude, insensitive, and for the most part untrue.

The NDP are doing their best to make the best of a bad situation that they inherited from the BC Liberals. Give them a break.

I didn't make a crack about uneducated comments.

Plus you assume that anyone who is against the incompetent NDP is a BCLP supporter. I'm not. I support good policy, and unfortunately the BC NDP have no clue what that is.

I have said it many times, during the election I liked half of the Green platform, half of the Liberal platform, and none of the tripe the NDP put up as a so called platform.

What we are seeing is the BC NDP heading down the same crony rewarding path that destroyed the province in the 1990s.

4 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby rustled » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:52 am

Cactusflower wrote:Right, HG, you likely went to school when the Socreds (now known as the BC Liberals) were in power, same as me. I lived in a rural area where teachers only lasted a year or two......sometimes even less than a year, but that's another story.

Full points for all the irony, Cactusflower.

Funny how "making the best of a bad situation inherited from the previous government" is a repeating theme in BC's education system, ain't it.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby erinmore3775 » Sep 12th, 2017, 12:07 pm

It is important to remember that the "family unit," the supporting community, and the society of 35 years ago is far different than those of today. As just about all contributors to this forum have pointed out, the quality of teaching and the student academic results produced by that teaching have remained the same over those years. In fact, graduation rates have improved and BC students have some of the highest results in Canada and the world in Math, Reading and Science. Teaching and student quality have remained consistent.

What has changed over the past 35 years is the diversity of the school population. There are more ESL students. There are more Special Needs Students. There are more students with various forms of autism. The teaching techniques that were successful in the classroom of 35 years ago, in many cases, are no longer applicable. Teaching demands and styles have changed to meet these class composition demands and as shown in the results over the past 10 years, education results have remained consistent. This is a reflection on the quality of the teachers in the BC school system.

The current government's increase in education funding proposed in the latest budgetary update is a continuation of the previous government's commitment to completing the mandate of the SCOC decision. It was not a "union payout" any more than was the monetary commitment of the previous government.

I hope that the current government's commitment to education is also reflected in their commitment to health services, transportation, the environment, and responsible resource development.
"Justice will not come until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured."
- Thucydides, Greek Philosopher

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

4 people like this post.
erinmore3775
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1160 posts

Postby Old Techie » Sep 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

That they do, that they indeed do.

Glad you confessed.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

2 people like this post.
Old Techie
Übergod

Liked in: 1936 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 12th, 2017, 10:39 pm

What we are seeing, HG, is one common sense comment from erinmore3775, and many partisan comments from the usual BCLP supporters who have their knickers in a twist because their party lost.

I've read your previous assertions that you liked half of the Green platform and half of the BC Liberal platform, but I don't recall you ever telling us exactly which half of those platforms you liked. Were the halves that you didn't like part of the NDP platform? Please explain your likes and dislikes, platform-wise.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Old Techie » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:15 pm

^^ The NDP don't have a platform so what's not to like?

About the only platform they have is blowing through the surplus at breakneck speed, and directing as much cash toward their masters at the BCTF as they can, while they have the chance.

Considering the NDP actions to date, you do have some stones calling the Liberals crooked, I'll give you that. I bet you aren't able to do it with a straight face though.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."
Old Techie
Übergod

Liked in: 1936 posts

Postby Merry » Sep 13th, 2017, 1:05 am

erinmore3775 wrote:The current government's increase in education funding proposed in the latest budgetary update is a continuation of the previous government's commitment to completing the mandate of the SCOC decision. It was not a "union payout" any more than was the monetary commitment of the previous government.

My thoughts exactly. Whether we agree with the decision to reduce class size or not, it is a decision that was mandated by the Supreme Court of Canada, so the NDP had no choice but to continue the process that was started by the Libs (following the court decision).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 3363 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 9:17 am

Merry wrote:
erinmore3775 wrote:The current government's increase in education funding proposed in the latest budgetary update is a continuation of the previous government's commitment to completing the mandate of the SCOC decision. It was not a "union payout" any more than was the monetary commitment of the previous government.

My thoughts exactly. Whether we agree with the decision to reduce class size or not, it is a decision that was mandated by the Supreme Court of Canada, so the NDP had no choice but to continue the process that was started by the Libs (following the court decision).

To a point. However,
Education

The budget update includes $681 million in education spending not seen in February’s budget.

The biggest chunk was approved by the B.C. Liberals after their loss at the Supreme Court of Canada, which forced them to restore class size and composition to pre-2002 levels.

But another $160 million is being added to fund enrolment growth and other pressures.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3734843/b-c-b ... et-update/
We shall see what the non-coalition coalition does with the additional $160M.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the BCTF suggests using the bulk of it for anything other than additional teachers, and I'd be extra-pleasantly surprised if the NDP direct it to the rural non-swing areas of the province that are already struggling, once again, as a direct result of the class size and composition language the previous NDP government handed the BCTF.

Urbane likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 13th, 2017, 10:24 am

Of course the massive education funding boondoggle reward to the lunatics at the BCTF is the fault of this NDP government.

It was Adrian Dix who made the horrendous back room deal giving the BCTF control of OUR education system. The BCTF lunatics are running the asylum, and we are still paying, and paying again for this incompetent and crooked bunch of BCTF lapdogs. John Horgan was right middle of it as Glen Clark's chief of staff.

This is not a new NDP government, this is the same bunch of clowns that tried to bankrupt the province in the 1990s. They are off to good start in that direction already. Bad transportation policy, bad education policy, bad environmental policy, union crony rewards, what looks like horrendously bad health care policy, and fouling up the budget badly .. just one incompetent foul up after another.

Interesting to note that Andrew Weaver has not made any enthusiastic remarks about most of these policies - generally lukewarm at best, and critical on others.

Unfortunately we are stuck with this clown car of incompetents.

3 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 13th, 2017, 10:56 am

Oh my, Andrew seems to be having some buyer's remorse: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-ndps-election-promises-are-irrelevant-green-leader-says/article36242097/

"Their election commitments are irrelevant right now," Mr. Weaver said in an interview on Tuesday.

"They did not win the election. They have an agreement [with the Greens] that has the confidence in the House."

SNIP:

"With the fiscal year almost half over, the NDP government increased total spending by $1.7-billion..."

And they want to spend much more.

Now that is irresponsible. Even with the tax increases, the budget surplus is all spent. Economic times are good at the moment, what happens if conditions moderate, or get difficult? Big time deficits. Don't these guys understand that responsible governments should run significant surpluses when times are good?? Look at what has happened to Alberta when that principle was ignored by the PCs! They are hooped. Alberta went from "party time" to OMG. The NDP are in "party time" mode and not looking beyond the end of there noses!

This 1990s NDP gang appear to have learned absolutely nothing.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.