British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Old Techie » Nov 10th, 2017, 2:53 pm

^^ Despicable and deceitful to say the least!

What do you think the average voter would prefer to see, pay to play that the NDP fanboys so vehemently despised, or picking our pockets via this new con job they are proposing?

I'd venture that the average person would go with the Liberal method of the past.

How presumptuous of the NDP to think we'd be OK with funding them, after they've proven how incapable of managing their finances they are, and after promising that precisely that funding by the tax payer would never be on the table.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela

2 people like this post.
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2922 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 10th, 2017, 4:56 pm

A cautionary tale for the NDP who disingenuously panders to urban only:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-11/queensland-election-why-voters-are-switching-to-one-nation/9137130

Pauline Hanson is the far right leader of One Nation (the Australian version of Trumps "America First"). Bear ind mind that these people are reacting to incompetence and one sided view of things pushed by the Labour Party (somewhat analogous to the NDP, but somewhat more competent).

"Polls suggest One Nation could get its largest share of votes since the 1998 election, where the party won 11 seats. "

"I always voted Labor, but now I feel like they've sold us out,"

"But 90 per cent of stuff that comes with One Nation is stuff we support, we believe in.

"I don't feel so neglected.

"I don't know who the local candidate is, but I'll still vote for One Nation."

"The other mob aren't worried about us, they're just worried about themselves. I'd rather go with Pauline Hanson and give someone else a go,"

"The big parties aren't looking after people in the country, they're just doing things for the big cities."

"I used to be Labor voter and I changed to One Nation about three years ago," he said.

"There's too much rubbish with Labor and the Liberals and I'm sick of the junk.

"It's the lies — you always feel like they're corrupt and keeping secrets.

"They think we're idiots. We need a change.

"It's just too politically correct, I feel like I'm getting victimised for my views.

"Pauline Hanson also speaks the truth and she gets punished for it.

"I think there's a bit of Pauline in me.

"We need people who will speak the truth — the major parties aren't allowed to.

"I would never know who my local candidate is, I don't look twice. But I will still vote One Nation. Most of my mates are too."

It is also a cautionary tale for the advocates of PR who have not thought things through. One Nation as a party only exists because of PR.

FYI Pauline Hanson is the one who wore a burka into parliament as a protest against Muslims. She alleged to be: racist. anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism...you know the drill.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 5555 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 10th, 2017, 11:33 pm

I had a look at a dying country (Norway) that follows PR, and noted that they elected a Communist MP in their last election. Yes you read that right. A Communist. How sick and disgusting is that. An ideology responsible for the murder of millions of people elected an MP in Norway because of proportional representation. It doesn't get sicker or sadder than that folks. Even the NDP, as disgusting as they are, aren't Communists (though some of them seem to be dumb enough to qualify). That in a nutshell is why PR is horrible. Extremist Leftist parties just can't be allowed to share in power with a tiny number of votes like that. That system is flawed, and wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Party_(Norway)
Not sure why I bother with a signature as it seems to just randomly disappear on a regular basis. Especially if it offends liberal snowflakes.

Queen K likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 11105 posts

Postby Veovis » Nov 11th, 2017, 8:55 am

The Green Barbarian wrote:I had a look at a dying country (Norway) that follows PR, and noted that they elected a Communist MP in their last election. Yes you read that right. A Communist. How sick and disgusting is that. An ideology responsible for the murder of millions of people elected an MP in Norway because of proportional representation. It doesn't get sicker or sadder than that folks. Even the NDP, as disgusting as they are, aren't Communists (though some of them seem to be dumb enough to qualify). That in a nutshell is why PR is horrible. Extremist Leftist parties just can't be allowed to share in power with a tiny number of votes like that. That system is flawed, and wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Party_(Norway)

That is terrible but I would correct your one point. I would change extreme leftist to simply extremist parties period. All the extremists are terrible no matter what as they are always zealot based faith, whether their faith is the environment, the bible, the Quran, or white supremacy all zealots need to never be elected.

4 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 3141 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 11th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Veovis wrote:
That is terrible but I would correct your one point. I would change extreme leftist to simply extremist parties period. .

agreed.
Not sure why I bother with a signature as it seems to just randomly disappear on a regular basis. Especially if it offends liberal snowflakes.

seewood likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 13th, 2017, 10:41 am

Les Leyne does an excellent job proving that John Horgan is a hypocrite:

But they have no one representing their views on the process for the referendum. So of course they’re shut out.
Citing the lumber dispute, the fires and the Site C decision, he said: “I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. I think the citizens of Kelowna West will cut me some slack if I get to calling a byelection in the next few weeks rather than today.”
Calling byelections is the premier’s prerogative, and he’s intent on abusing it as much as Clark did. As noted here this week, she delayed some byelections almost to the maximum extent for no good reason. But when she needed a seat, she called them much more quickly.
It would be just another example of gamesmanship, except for one thing: The crucial bill on which Kelowna West is shut out is about a referendum on proportional representation.
http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/co ... 1.23091038

hobbyguy likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8027 posts

Postby Verum » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:11 am

Urbane wrote:Les Leyne does an excellent job proving that John Horgan is a hypocrite:

But they have no one representing their views on the process for the referendum. So of course they’re shut out.
Citing the lumber dispute, the fires and the Site C decision, he said: “I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. I think the citizens of Kelowna West will cut me some slack if I get to calling a byelection in the next few weeks rather than today.”
Calling byelections is the premier’s prerogative, and he’s intent on abusing it as much as Clark did. As noted here this week, she delayed some byelections almost to the maximum extent for no good reason. But when she needed a seat, she called them much more quickly.
It would be just another example of gamesmanship, except for one thing: The crucial bill on which Kelowna West is shut out is about a referendum on proportional representation.
http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/co ... 1.23091038

With one sentence Leyne proves himself to be an idiot:
Sounds as if he could use a hand. Why not call the byelection and see if they can win the seat?

What imbecile thinks that the NDP or Greens have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Kelowna West seat? Everyone knows that it is the safest Liberal seat in BC. The Liberals could run a spineless, yes-man who puts party first and they would still win. In fact, they will. I'm even sure that Leyne knows this too but that doesn't fit his opinion piece well enough to point out. We may not have a representative for the drawing up of the bill, something we can blame on the Liberals as well as the NDP, but we will have a chance to vote on it and that is what matters most.
It's unfortunate and somewhat spineless that the NDP aren't willing to accept the risk that another almost certainly Liberal MLA will bring to their government, so that Kelowna West can be represented in the drawing up of this important bill, but it is also politics as usual for BC. Principled politicians either don't exist in BC or don't seem to do well here.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

Queen K likes this post.
Verum
Fledgling

Liked in: 257 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:13 am

^^ Actually there a few politicians with some principles in BC. Just not very many in the BC NDP.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

Urbane likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 5555 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:19 am

Verum wrote:What imbecile thinks that the NDP or Greens have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Kelowna West seat? Everyone knows that it is the safest Liberal seat in BC. The Liberals could run a spineless, yes-man who puts party first and they would still win. In fact, they will. I'm even sure that Leyne knows this too but that doesn't fit his opinion piece well enough to point out. We may not have a representative for the drawing up of the bill, something we can blame on the Liberals as well as the NDP, but we will have a chance to vote on it and that is what matters most.
It's unfortunate and somewhat spineless that the NDP aren't willing to accept the risk that another almost certainly Liberal MLA will bring to their government, so that Kelowna West can be represented in the drawing up of this important bill, but it is also politics as usual for BC. Principled politicians either don't exist in BC or don't seem to do well here.

You mean history could repeat itself? You dont' say! :up:
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9471 posts

Postby Urbane » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:19 am

Verum wrote:With one sentence Leyne proves himself to be an idiot:
    Sounds as if he could use a hand. Why not call the byelection and see if they can win the seat?

What imbecile thinks that the NDP or Greens have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Kelowna West seat? Everyone knows that it is the safest Liberal seat in BC. The Liberals could run a spineless, yes-man who puts party first and they would still win. In fact, they will. I'm even sure that Leyne knows this too but that doesn't fit his opinion piece well enough to point out. We may not have a representative for the drawing up of the bill, something we can blame on the Liberals as well as the NDP, but we will have a chance to vote on it and that is what matters most.
"Politics as usual." Indeed, but the NDP'ers on here railed against the Liberals for all these years and promised something different. Many of us have been saying for years that BOTH major parties are sleazy but the NDP'ers denied that. Well, if there had been any doubt there is certainly no doubt now. John Horgan and his NDP colleagues are up to their necks in sleaze! Add to that their incompetence and we have a bad mix!
Last edited by Urbane on Nov 13th, 2017, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Verum » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:20 am

hobbyguy wrote:^^ Actually there a few politicians with some principles in BC. Just not very many in the BC NDP.

Of course, because the people you support are better than the people that others support. Partisan much?
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:23 am

Queen K wrote:
You mean history could repeat itself? You dont' say! :up:

There are several seats in BC that are safe seats for both parties. The NDP have run a spineless and brainless candidate in Vancouver Kingsway since 2005 and that memo-forging moron just keeps getting elected. Even with the entire province angry at the idiot NDP in 2001, they still elected two members, one being Jenny Kwanumist, who ran in a riding that is extremely staunch NDP. For some reason though the NDP kool-aid drinkers never acknowledge that.

Urbane likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:27 am

The Green Barbarian wrote:There are several seats in BC that are safe seats for both parties. The NDP have run a spineless and brainless candidate in Vancouver Kingsway since 2005 and that memo-forging moron just keeps getting elected. Even with the entire province angry at the idiot NDP in 2001, they still elected two members, one being Jenny Kwanumist, who ran in a riding that is extremely staunch NDP. For some reason though the NDP kool-aid drinkers never acknowledge that.
The NDP'ers are blind to it or are just willing to look the other way. Both parties are sleazy but we currently have the incompetent sleazy party in power even though they finished second in the election. I'd prefer to get rid of the sleaze altogether but until that happens I'd at least like to have a competent government in place. We certainly don't have that now.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Verum » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:50 am

Urbane wrote:"Politics as usual." Indeed, but the NDP'ers on here railed against the Liberals for all these years and promised something different. Many of us have been saying for years that BOTH major parties are sleazy but the NDP'ers denied that. Well, if there had been any doubt there is certainly no doubt now. John Horgan and his NDP colleagues are up their necks in sleaze! Add to that their incompetence and we have a bad mix!

I wouldn't quite put the whole playing the political game as sleaze. There's no reason to think that they are doing this for personal reward, beyond maybe holding on to power for a little longer than they might otherwise do. Their union deals might be a bit sleazy, for sure, but I will wait until I see the details before I judge that. I'll give them time to prove if they are as in-bed with special interest groups as badly as the Liberals are, though in time, I have little doubt that they will end up being so.

As for incompetence, well, they have negotiated some pretty difficult waters so far, holding on despite the thinnest of majority support. They have applied common sense when promises made proved unworkable and seem to be able to work out compromises which haven't been overly contentious. Honestly, they may have not achieved much, but sometimes that is a good thing. I think that Site C will be the hurdle to make or break them. If they can get over it, they will have proven themselves capable.

BTW, if you are calling them incompetent because you don't agree with their decisions, so long as such decisions are consistent with their platform, you're just being partisan. It would be like someone who supports the Greens calling Clark incompetent because she allowed Site C to be even considered.
Verum
Fledgling

Postby Urbane » Nov 13th, 2017, 12:05 pm

^^ This young government has already shown its incompetence in a number of areas. Two quick examples: Cancelling the bridge tolls without looking at the consequences probably got the NDP elected but it makes for bad government. Considerably longer commute times with more cars on the road doesn't sound like something that's good for the environment.

Freezing BC Hydro rates is highly irresponsible because that's just kicking the can down the road. And surprise! The Supply and Confidence Secretariat, set up at taxpayers' expense to help keep the Green-DP in power, seemed not to notice that part of the agreement is no surprises. And yet Andrew Weaver said he knew nothing of the BC Hydro rate freeze and that the surprise was in contravention of the agreement. Incompetence!

seewood likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.