British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Or maybe this is the more important question, why were these buildings allowed to get to this point of break down, where the lead content is high.

Are you saying the process to repair the water systems won't go out to tender?
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Rwede » Dec 6th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Queen K wrote:Are you saying the process to repair the water systems won't go out to tender?


Horgan has already promised the unions closed shop privileges.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11728
Likes: 9542 posts
Liked in: 5120 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Is there a link to that buried somewhere in this thread? :135:
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:03 pm

The issue of lead in school drinking water relates to older plumbing that used lead solder and very old plumbing that used lead pipes.

IF you look at the article, you will realize that this only became a concern after the Flint, Michigan debacle in the US.

The most important facts are that having become aware of the potential problem:

"When high levels of lead were found in several schools in Prince Rupert in February 2016, the NDP government called for mandatory water tests in all schools provincewide. Fleming said, in general, the ministry found elevated levels of lead in school buildings from the mid-1980s or older.

"The provincial health officer said that there is no evidence that any children have been adversely affected by lead in drinking water in B.C.," Fleming told Daybreak Kamloops host Shelley Joyce.

"This is a safety precaution."

Factual error in the reported statements: the NDP were NOT the government in February 2016.

So this action is not factually a priority or urgent, but it is prudent to upgrade plumbing for those schools that are expected to be open for the foreseeable future.

To me, this is just the NDP trolling for media "good news" coverage - all political parties do that - and accomplishing very little.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Since when is lead poisoning not urgent ? :130:

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2668 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:19 pm

"Six schools across the province will have upgraded water systems by March 31, 2018, to manage lead in older buildings and, in turn, provide safe, clean water to students.

"We found it's a much bigger problem than we thought over the last couple years," said Education Minister Rob Fleming.

A total of $750,000 from the School Enhancement Fund will be divided between the Children's Development Centre in Saanich, École des Sept-sommets in Rossland, École Sundance Elementary in Victoria, Naghtaneqed school in the Nemiah Valley and two schools from Williams Lake: Mountainview Elementary and Lake City Secondary's Columneetza campus. "

HG, the BC NDP are speeding up the process of getting the job done. Why do they have to do that? Because the BCLiberals seemed to be foot dragging.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:36 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Since when is lead poisoning not urgent ? :130:


READ the article. No children have been poisoned.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Queen K wrote:"Six schools across the province will have upgraded water systems by March 31, 2018, to manage lead in older buildings and, in turn, provide safe, clean water to students.

"We found it's a much bigger problem than we thought over the last couple years," said Education Minister Rob Fleming.

A total of $750,000 from the School Enhancement Fund will be divided between the Children's Development Centre in Saanich, École des Sept-sommets in Rossland, École Sundance Elementary in Victoria, Naghtaneqed school in the Nemiah Valley and two schools from Williams Lake: Mountainview Elementary and Lake City Secondary's Columneetza campus. "

HG, the BC NDP are speeding up the process of getting the job done. Why do they have to do that? Because the BCLiberals seemed to be foot dragging.


One would have to see the water quality reports on the individual schools to justify the statement "foot dragging". IF there was a real and urgent problem, why is March ok?
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Because this is new, and we have to recognize that in our society these major projects need a process to going out to tender, each of which has to be evaluated and nothing gets done over the Christmas and New Year holidays. That leaves Jan, Feb and 31 days in March. Three months for six schools is not slow. That is in fact, pretty quick HG.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:56 pm

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/lead-in-school-drinking-water-worries-parents-in-northern-b-c-1.2784177

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/lead-drinking-water

There is no indication that entire issue is anything more than an "abundance of caution" issue. Those, of course, do get ginned up by politicians.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Queen K wrote:Because this is new, and we have to recognize that in our society these major projects need a process to going out to tender, each of which has to be evaluated and nothing gets done over the Christmas and New Year holidays. That leaves Jan, Feb and 31 days in March. Three months for six schools is not slow. That is in fact, pretty quick HG.


Actually, it depends entirely on how much work is required. It could be as simple as replacing old drinking fountains.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Our kids deserve an "abundance of caution". And besides, now that we know there is high lead levels in the water, why would anyone wait longer than March 31/18 to "get 'er done." :135:
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 6th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Queen K wrote:Our kids deserve an "abundance of caution". And besides, now that we know there is high lead levels in the water, why would anyone wait longer than March 31/18 to "get 'er done." :135:


It isn'y "high" lead levels. Not at the level for poisoning.

My goodness, how did old gezeers like me ever get to be old? We drank water in houses with lead pipes, we renovated houses with asbestos, and the list goes on.

The provincial health officer states that no lead poisoning has occurred. Most of this is because folks panic without looking at reality.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby Rwede » Dec 7th, 2017, 10:12 am

Queen K wrote:Is there a link to that buried somewhere in this thread? :135:


Here you go. http://vancouversun.com/opinion/columni ... ing-trades

For Horgan let out more than Trevena about where the government is headed on highways and other infrastructure work.

She was asked point blank if the preferred model for “best bid” was to be a repeat of the pro-union labour agreement the NDP imposed on the Vancouver Island Highway Project back in the 1990s. She ducked the question.

But here’s the relevant passage from Horgan’s address to the B.C. Fed conference on Friday afternoon.

“We’re going to build roads, schools, and hospitals across our province and we’ll use project labour agreements to do it,” vowed the premier.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11728
Likes: 9542 posts
Liked in: 5120 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: British Columbia's NDP Government: 2017

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 7th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Rwede wrote:
Queen K wrote:Is there a link to that buried somewhere in this thread? :135:


Here you go. http://vancouversun.com/opinion/columni ... ing-trades

For Horgan let out more than Trevena about where the government is headed on highways and other infrastructure work.

She was asked point blank if the preferred model for “best bid” was to be a repeat of the pro-union labour agreement the NDP imposed on the Vancouver Island Highway Project back in the 1990s. She ducked the question.

But here’s the relevant passage from Horgan’s address to the B.C. Fed conference on Friday afternoon.

“We’re going to build roads, schools, and hospitals across our province and we’ll use project labour agreements to do it,” vowed the premier.


Yup, let's discriminate against workers that don't like unions. Want a job? You MUST join a union. That's not right, and it will cost taxpayers.

A properly run union shop, one where the union cooperates with management and vice versa, can definitely compete for and get the contracts. Why not work on promoting that? I managed such a union shop, and we were competitive and shipped orders as far as Ontario and down into the US, despite having what the bean counters called a high cost contract (the highest in the company).

The old "closed shop" bs simply covers up and promotes bad union management (yes unions have to be managed).

Good union management, union management that cooperates with management (but ensures a fair deal for employees) is what works.

I am not anti-union, I just recognize that union management is not equal. The likes of the BCTF and former union heads like Jinny Sims and George Heyman are failures in that department. Not surprised the NDP who are run by those folks can't see the forest for the trees.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8006
Likes: 2203 posts
Liked in: 8360 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests