Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:
How about we see what happens ? So far the police have impounded the subject vehicle and the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles has extended the impoundment for a further 23 days, for a total of 30 days.

All of this has taken place before the accused has been tried and convicted of anything. So, that's pretty good, so far.

Are you suggesting once an alleged offense passes a certain threshold of severity that we suspend the presumption of innocents and go straight to punishment ?

You see if they crush it, that's not good business. I am with you, the guy should not drive again. But the cash ICBC generates is huge.

Can you imagine if this car does ever kill, where would ICBC stand on that? They kept letting this guy drive even knowing he is a severe danger to others on the road. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct one of many reasons why icbc needs to go
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:You see if they crush it, that's not good business. I am with you, the guy should not drive again. But the cash ICBC generates is huge.

Can you imagine if this car does ever kill, where would ICBC stand on that? They kept letting this guy drive even knowing he is a severe danger to others on the road. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I don't see how ICBC factors into this at all. What did ICBC do ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm under the impression my5cents works for ICBC, one way or another. :smt045 lol
Am I wrong?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm under the impression my5cents works for ICBC, one way or another. :smt045 lol
Am I wrong?

Nope
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:I don't see how ICBC factors into this at all. What did ICBC do ?

They are giving this individual the license to kill. In my opinion he should not have that privilege. If you constantly get tickets, they usually suck your license out from under you.

Time will tell, but I think we will likely read about this individual one day.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

If I had a half million dollar vehicle at 22 and appeared dumber than a load of bricks, I would expect the RCMP to investigate where the money came from to buy it, and impound it for 6 months.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:They are giving this individual the license to kill. In my opinion he should not have that privilege. If you constantly get tickets, they usually suck your license out from under you.

Time will tell, but I think we will likely read about this individual one day.

Unless there is a significant change in maturity and attitude. The real risk for the family of the driver (and I strongly expect the kid didn't purchase the vehicle from his savings) is, if he either drives without, or gets his license back and causes some severe injuries and damage to others the insurance will be in breach and in this case likely daddy will be on the hook.

I completely agree that some drivers need "special attention", be that extended suspensions, moderate suspensions followed stringent observation, or whatever even indefinite suspensions.

BUT (and you knew there was going to be one), the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles is the person/department that reviews driving records and issues driving suspensions, not ICBC.

The two are completely separated.

Even if ICBC was disbanded, there would be no difference as to who suspends drivers, the OSMV would be the authority

With respect to ICBC, it is responsible for testing, issuing licences to those qualified, retaining records, supplying driving records to the OSMV (Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles) [I think they've changed the name, but you gets the picture], accept licenses turned in, but aren't the entity that decides who gets their license suspended or when they are given back.

Return to “B.C.”