Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

my5cents
Guru

Re: Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

Post by my5cents »

JagXKR wrote:I don't think the name was released by the police. There are ways to find out without knowing the name but you need to know what court and the day the case will be heard. Daily court lists are available on the CSO website.

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/esearchHome.do

Once you have a name you can then do a search. Even search your co-workers or neighbors name to see if they have convictions or traffic fines. It is public information after all.

At this moment the accused is charged under the Motor Vehicle Act (a non- criminal charge)

The site appears to lead to :

Provincial Small Claims Court
    Supreme Chamber List
    Appeal Court List
    Provincial Criminal Court Lists

I don't think they have traffic cases listed
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

You may be right but he may be charged criminally. Then it would show in the daily lists. As for today's list there's a number of courts that are not on it due to the fact those courts are not sitting today. Check back on Mon or Tues and you will see many more courts with lists.
Also there is another site that has lists and this may be the better site to search.

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/courts/court- ... /index.htm
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Raise the speed limits so they are not insanely slow, enact REAL driver training courses and force re-testing of -every- driver every 2 years. Get the idiots off the road and create some jobs while we are at it.

I'm so tired of our driving laws bending to the most incapable driver that can barley see has the reaction time of moss and burns oil, gas, coolant,and grease in their shitbox.

That's my solution.

Till then happens and is law though *bleep* this guy, 210? *bleep*. Uh no. Also that young? Yeah, sorry buddy you need a driving ban for a bit you are going to kill somebody, probably the nice lady dumb enough to ride with you, right into the innocent dude with his family in a minivan. *bleep* hat.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

JBX wrote:Raise the speed limits so they are not insanely slow, enact REAL driver training courses and force re-testing of -every- driver every 2 years. Get the idiots off the road and create some jobs while we are at it.

I agree with the raising of speed limits( to some extent) , however there is a segment of the population that now does not have the reaction time, confidence to drive at those higher speeds regardless the vehicle they might drive is capable of higher speeds.
The raising of speed limits in an urban area won't work. All that will do is knock the daft twits that insist on having their eyes glued to their stupid screens, a bit further down the road when contact with the vehicle.
Being in the fire service for 19 years and attending many MVI's, speed does increase the chances of serious injury to one and others. I like the new limits on the Coq. as my car is quite comfortable to drive at those speeds or even higher for that matter. I personally have the confidence to drive at those speeds as do many others, however many do not and hopefully stay in the right lane. ( That is another bone of contention)
Thing is with testing in my opinion, I believe the tester can only get a very brief snapshot of a drivers ability in the time allocated. I always thought to get a licence one had to drive and navigate the old Sea to Sky hwy at the posted speed limits and not slower as many did. ( responded to many MVI's as people tried to pass ones going 10-20kph below the limit)

Driving in BC is a topic with as much passion as talking about the weather....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

How be everyone driving over 15KM's under or 15 KM"s over looses their licence automatically for 90 days. One is just as dangerous as the other as stats prove and as seewood says from experience speed does cause more serious accidents. How about an automatic 6 month suspension if you are caught using an electronic device even sitting at an intersection. Maybe people would smarten up. People should also be tested specifically on knowing where the front, rear, wheels, etc are. I see so many people of all ages that can barely get in and out of a parking spot because they have no idea how close they are to other vehicles.

I can definitely agree with retesting on a regular basis, My biggest problem these days would also be screens of any sort. I believe they are a much bigger problem that driving too slow and probably even hogging the left lane. When being tested people would behave and then immediately go back to doing it on the way home from the test.

I have said it many times before, hire a bunch more traffic cops, enforce the laws we have and use the fines to pay for the officers. It could be called an attack on the "stupid".

Back on topic, this man should loose his licence for life. He has had more than his three strikes he is out for good.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Raise the speed limits so they are not insanely slow, enact REAL driver training courses and force re-testing of -every- driver every 2 years. Get the idiots off the road and create some jobs while we are at it.

I'm so tired of our driving laws bending to the most incapable driver that can barley see has the reaction time of moss and burns oil, gas, coolant,and grease in their shitbox.

The problem is that people such as yourself, and I'me not singling you out because lots of posters rant about the same things you are but your post was handy, often tend to be the cause of traffic problems because of their impatience and belief that they are superior in their driving ability to everyone else around them.

Now the truth is, that there are drivers who are simply better than most but they don't tend to be the ones who lose their cool because of slow or inconsiderate drivers. With ability usually comes calm.

I have known many in my life who fit that bill; complain about everyone else on the road and then cause an accident themselves because of something stupid they did.

The philosophy I am working to adopt as a regular course of every day in my life is one where I tell myself that it aint worth getting worked up over, and believe me, I get worked up sometimes. But the reality is that there is no ideal where everybody knows how to drive properly, responsibly and considerately so why not just accept it, pay attention and drive to arrive?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This was published July 11/17 at 3:31 PM :

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/16-month-driving-b ... -1.3498692

"A man" given a 16 months driving prohibition, for the Ferrari driving demonstration on the Lion's Gate bridge.

It goes on to say : "He is expected to appear in court in September to set a date for a hearing on charges of excessive speed and driving without due care"

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if they crushed the Ferrari, preferably with him in the driver's seat. BUT, isn't it "customary" to meet out punishment AFTER the accused has been found guilty ??

With the severe circumstances I'd even be OK with a prohibition until such time as he appears before a judge.

I also take note, as others have observed, that we are still no closer to knowing the identity of this genius.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I have bubble wrap for sale. Quite reasonably priced for those that are afraid to get into their car.

Joking aside.

If they retested me now, I'd likely do poorly on the "rules of the road" memorization thing. However, sitting me beside an "instructor" wouldn't prove a Damn thing either.
28 years driving experience can't be taught and can't be tested for.
Anticipation, physics, common sense, weather, knowing the limits of vehicle, understanding the mechanics of vehicle, torque, RPMs and power band, come with experience.

The best teacher of all? That shot of adrenaline and a near miss.

No disrespect smurf, but people need to get off the electronic device issue. All cars come with touch screens on the dashboard (pretty much anyway). It's no longer an option but standard and selling point. Private sector is solving the problem, all government did was attach administrative sanction. Perhaps they saw this coming and only enacted laws in the attempt to pacify voters and look like they're doing something. I don't recall any partnership between manufacturer and gov't stating "working together to promote safer roads". A directive for example, to have all cars in Canada equipped hands free by a certain date.

A car IS a smart electronic device. Move on from that dead horse.
Last edited by What_the on Jul 12th, 2017, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ not all vehicles on the road have all latest tech in them, mine has none of it & still runs well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

GordonH wrote:^^^ not all vehicles on the road have all latest tech in them, mine has none of it & still runs well.

Fair enough, same with mine. But things are changing so quick we're now debating self driving cars. The self parking feature is now a selling point/option.

In 10 years the whole distracted driving thing will be moot.
Except for classic cars that only our generation ish will know how to use.

Manual transmission? What the hell is that? Oh, that shifting thing that really no one uses that doesn't include a third pedal lol
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Parallel parking was a component of my drivers test.
Why bother anymore with cars that do it themselves.

People picking up what I'm throwing down?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What_the wrote:Parallel parking was a component of my drivers test.

Self parallel parking vehicles imo are for lazy or unwilling to learn drivers, I have absolutely no need for this.
The day I can't parallel my own vehicle is the day I give up my D/L.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Agreed^^ but that's where its going.

Whether we like it or not
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What_the wrote:Parallel parking was a component of my drivers test.

Why bother ???? They don't, haven't for years. I think they still have the component in the driving test, but failing it doesn't mean a fail on your test.

I think it's great that so many can't parallel park, leaves lots of parking spaces for those of us who can.

How did this Forum change from the "Driving Ban for lead foot" to parallel parking ?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

The problem being as has already been proven by accidents, self driving /self parking, whatever, cars can have a problem and ask you to take control. Meaning you had better know how to do whatever the car is doing and do it quickly. I have seen too many machines, especially computers fail to do something properly. Those are the same as computers that are in cars, which can also fail. I know it is coming but I believe there are also lots of problems coming. Airplanes for example have to be taken off auto pilot for certain things and frequently have to turn over control during flights.

As far as electronic devices if it is getting so great why is distracted driving one of the top problems and top police priorities on our roads today. Remember I am not talking about 10 years down the road, I am talking about now. Just yesterday we drove down the street beside a young lady who couldn't keep her head up. At three intersections she was late leaving when the light turned green and then stomped to catch up to traffic and hit the brakes at the next light. Do you believe that is safe driving or a problem. We see it all the time on our roads it is not an infrequent happening as I'm sure many others can confirm.

Here is just one bit of information out there about "hands free", there is lots more out there.

And then something happened that changed my mind. For the first time, researchers finally compared hands-free texting with hands-on texting.
The Texas A&M Transportation Institute studied people driving a closed course under three conditions: while texting by hand, while texting by voice (using Siri for iPhone and Vlingo for Android), and without texting at all.
The results surprised me—and troubled me. Turns out it makes absolutely no difference whether you text hands-free or by voice. “Response times were significantly delayed no matter which texting method was used,” the study says. In each case, drivers who were texting took about twice as long to react as they did otherwise. Incredibly, they also spent less time watching the road, even when they were texting by voice.
It doesn't make intuitive sense. It seems as though texting by voice should be safer than looking at your phone. And to be sure, this was only a single study, involving only 43 subjects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... e-driving/

Why are phones so distracting?2

phone icon Talking and texting on a phone are driving distractions. Texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distractions. Hands-free phones are not necessarily safer than hand-held devices. Your brain has limited ability to perform two tasks at the same time. When driving becomes secondary, you pay less attention to possible dangers on the road. A worker who is driving a motor vehicle while negotiating a complex or contentious business deal over the phone at the same time is at greater risk of being in a crash. In this situation, neither task – driving a vehicle or doing business – gets the attention it deserves.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/distra ... fault.html

I agree it is possibly no worse than talking to the person beside you but it is distracted driving, your mind is not on the road. Do we honestly need more distractions when we are driving. I will guarantee you from what I see on the street every day most of us do not.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”